Droid 2 OTA Update soon?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by random190user44, Oct 22, 2010.

1. papelet

papelet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Idk if is just me but after the upgrade I feel blur smoother and a little faster, even the fb app is working better now- it was giving me problems all week-...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

2. mrcs_jolly

mrcs_jolly New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OTA update for Droid 2

I just received the OTA 2.3 update this morning on my droid 2. There was the option to install it now or later. I opted to install it later once I find out the consequences, if any, of installing it on a rooted droid 2. So my question is, is it safe to install the 2.3, gingerbread, update on a rooted droid 2. When i had a rooted droid 1 and was advised not to install any OTAs while rooted, I had to unroot, then do it; but that was the droid 1. thanks for your help.

3. dch921

dch921 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is not gingerbread. Its just a sytem update think of it like an update on a windows machine. Still same version just fixing some bugs and minor improvements.

Also you will loose root with the update but you can reroot using the same method to root in the first place.

You shouldn't have any issues running this update.

4. pissedoffgokart

pissedoffgokart New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Well, just spoke to the big V on the issue. They, of course, knew nothing about it. Without rooting my phone there is nothing I can do. Verizon has no means to reflash the firmware (according to the sales people of course). I was able to regain playback ability by downloading the Arcviewer app but, the video quality is very poor compared to MixZing and the stock player. Hopefully others will complain and it will get fixed, or Mixzing will add their own codecs on the next update (doubtful). Love Verizon as a carrier, but damn!

5. plasticmajestic

plasticmajestic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried installing another app, maybe Act1 Video Player? That may give you mp4 support...the only other option I can think of would be to convert mp4 to another format (avi?)...

6. pissedoffgokart

pissedoffgokart New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just gave it a shot, but it looks like it uses the stock Droid h.264 codec for mp4 playback as it cannot play the files either. Arcmedia works, the app must include it's own codecs but, the scaling (kinda blocky and motion's not so smooth) and sound is off. Thanks for the suggestion though. I am trying to avoid reripping and reconverting all my preprepped and previously working videos.

**Rockmedia Player gives the option for hardware or software decoding. In my case, software must be used since the hardware decoders are gone. Playback quality is as good as the old hardware codecs (IMHO). Looks to use the same codecs as Arcmedia but better scaling/sync. $10 is a little steep, but I have yet to see an ad on the trial. Still sux I need 2 seperate apps to play music and video. Hopefully Mixzing will include codecs in a future update.**

Search tags for this page

blur version.2.2

is the moto droid ota capable

motorola droid 2 global software update

unfreeze my motorola a955