Droid 2 OTA Update soon?

hecsz28

Reaction score
I just checked my D2 and I am downloading the update as I type this.
BTW, I am not Rooted.

Here is the link to what it includes:
http://support.vzw.com/system_update/droid_2.html

Improvements:
+ Improved battery life.
+ Heightened proximity sensor accuracy to enable faster screen response.
+ View the Weather widget in both landscape and portrait orientation.
+ Simpler setup, improved user interactions, and better notifications for Visual Voice Mail.
+ Background Email Sync during display inactivity for better user experience.
+ Support for email domain suffixes containing more than three characters.
+ Keep text messages organized with chronological in-box screen.
+ Edit text messages after you’ve inserted a video file.
+ Improved audio sound during recorded video playbacks.
+ Stream Guided Tour videos on device in Help Center application with ease.
+ Faster location tracking during GPS navigation.
+ Faster transitions between Wi-Fi and 3G in data connection.

Enhancements:
+ New ability to add pictures from your Gallery to a contact.
+ Export all your contacts to the SD card.
+ View details of Social Networking contacts.
+ VZ Navigator® is now preloaded on device.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but I'm rooted and using the fission 1.2 ROM. I don't think I can get the update by pushing it. I really just want to go back to how it was originally (rooted but without a ROM like the TC). Is there a thread for that? I wanna get this update, and since I'm not all that happy with this ROM as we speak, I figure I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did you make a backup before you installed your ROM?

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm rooted and using the fission 1.2 ROM. I don't think I can get the update by pushing it. I really just want to go back to how it was originally (rooted but without a ROM like the TC). Is there a thread for that? I wanna get this update, and since I'm not all that happy with this ROM as we speak, I figure I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Awesome!! My gf is going to be thrilled!! We all know what happens when mama isn't happy...and when she IS! Hahaha maaaaan I need to go to bed! :dancedroid: :dancedroid:

I just checked my D2 and I am downloading the update as I type this.
BTW, I am not Rooted.

Here is the link to what it includes:
http://support.vzw.com/system_update/droid_2.html

Improvements:
+ Improved battery life.
+ Heightened proximity sensor accuracy to enable faster screen response.
+ View the Weather widget in both landscape and portrait orientation.
+ Simpler setup, improved user interactions, and better notifications for Visual Voice Mail.
+ Background Email Sync during display inactivity for better user experience.
+ Support for email domain suffixes containing more than three characters.
+ Keep text messages organized with chronological in-box screen.
+ Edit text messages after you’ve inserted a video file.
+ Improved audio sound during recorded video playbacks.
+ Stream Guided Tour videos on device in Help Center application with ease.
+ Faster location tracking during GPS navigation.
+ Faster transitions between Wi-Fi and 3G in data connection.

Enhancements:
+ New ability to add pictures from your Gallery to a contact.
+ Export all your contacts to the SD card.
+ View details of Social Networking contacts.
+ VZ Navigator® is now preloaded on device.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Yes! Do I just go into recovery or whatever and find the backup?
Did you make a backup before you installed your ROM?

Thanks!

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Ok I went into recovery, hit backup and restore, clicked advanced restore, and I have 2 backups. The oldest one is from the 18th which I'm pretty sure is the one I made before installing the ROM. I clicked, and I have to choose either restore boot, restore system, restore data, restore cache and restore sd-ext. Would Restore system do it?

everstar80

Reaction score
I can't believe how much faster it is. I mean it is blazing through the screens and I'm not even rooted. I can't imagine how fast it is for those of you that are rooted.

ZPrime

Reaction score
FWIW this is only supposed to be going out to a limited batch of testers at this point. It will get wider release assuming it goes well. (This is according to the Moto forum guys.)

I happen to have gotten it.

If you are rooted it will "unroot" you, but only inasmuch as su and busybox won't work (meaning that anything that "needs root" won't run).

The existing root trick (rageagainstthecage and the derivatives) will allow you to get a # prompt via adb or on terminal. Once you have that, just mount /system rw, and re-chmod your su and busybox binaries, then put system back to ro and reboot the phone for good measure.

You'll then be re-rooted again.

If you don't understand any of that, you really shouldn't be using a rooted phone. ;) I hate all of this "single-click root" business as it just allows noobs to break their phone without understanding how you get root and what exactly it is. Knowing some *nix shell stuff isn't harmful to your health...

I can confirm that the corp/Exchange PIN bug is fixed, and the wifi seems to toggle quicker. :)

The text bug in Google Talk is fixed too - i can read the timestamps now as they are grey instead of white on white or white on lt. blue. :icon_ banana:

Lots of other tweaks and fixes as well...

ZPrime

Reaction score
I can't believe how much faster it is. I mean it is blazing through the screens and I'm not even rooted. I can't imagine how fast it is for those of you that are rooted.
Rooting a phone has absolutely zero affect on the speed of said device...

Now, if you overclock it or prevent apps from running at startup (by renaming/removing them) I can see how it could change speed, but just rooting a phone does nothing to speed it up.

everstar80

Reaction score
FWIW this is only supposed to be going out to a limited batch of testers at this point. It will get wider release assuming it goes well. (This is according to the Moto forum guys.)

I happen to have gotten it.

Lots of other tweaks and fixes as well...

Okay, I'm not a tester so how was i able to get the upgrade so easily? And is this gingerbread because the version number is 2.3.2enUS, or is it just a mandated update because the speed is overwhelmingly faster than before and I'm not rooted.

everstar80

Reaction score
Rooting a phone has absolutely zero affect on the speed of said device...

Now, if you overclock it or prevent apps from running at startup (by renaming/removing them) I can see how it could change speed, but just rooting a phone does nothing to speed it up.

ZPRime, I haven't done either of the things you listed and its still faster than it was before.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm happy and excited for you guys! I hope someone here can pull it and pass it on so maybe us d1 users can get some love!

troutbeck27

Reaction score
OK I have a rooted D2 and installed the update and powered off/rebooted and now when I turn on my phone I have the clockwork recovery screen come up and have to reboot system now. And when my phone powers I don't connect to 3G.

Any one have any recommendations?

I have everything backed up, so I should be able to recover from my backup right?

Which option do I choose from the clockwork recovery screen to to recover before update?

Thanks,

Troutbeck27