Droid 2 OTA and Fission...

Discussion in 'Team DeFuse' started by jlee, Oct 28, 2010.

1. jlee

jlee New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm starting this thread to discuss the OTA that Verizon is rolling out for stock Droid 2 phones today. A few thoughts:

1) The OTA is relevant to Fission users. Based on Verizon's release notes both the baseband radio firmware and kernel are updated in the OTA. It is my understanding that Fission cannot update either of these components at this time due to the eFuse on the Droid 2 so the fixes in this kernel and baseband should improve Fission also.

2) The only way Fission users will be able to install the OTA is by SBFing back to stock, applying the update then re-rooting (or possibly installing a pre-rooted version of the update if the OTA breaks our rooting methods) and reinstalling Fission. It may be possible to do a backup of Fission's data partition for restore after the OTA is applied.

3) The OTA may break Fission if the kernel is not compatible with the Fission system image, this remains to be seen.

If it's not obvious from above, I haven't go the OTA yet, hopefully someone will capture it and post a link soon so that we can start investigating the impact the OTA will have on Fission.

2. Redflea

Redflea Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I haven't done much research on this update yet, but if this OTA is similar to the release that shipped on the R2D2 phones, or the OTA update that was released for the DX, then the 2.3.20 OTA may also break your ability to use the existing D2 2.2.20 SBF that is available...that would mean that if you screw up your phone messing around with custom ROMs you won't have an SBF option available to restore your phone. That's not a small issue... :)

So I would be cautious about taking steps to install this update until more is known about it.

3. mjones1052

mjones1052 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did it say the kernel and baseband are getting updated? I haven't read it yet so I'm curious.

4. jlee

jlee New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the original baseband (and what Fission should be using) is BP_C_01.09.05P. The update lists the baseband as BP_C_01.09.07P so it is updated.

As far as the kernel, it doesn't specifically mention it in there but the following improvements that the OTA lists would probably require kernel level adjustements:

+ Improved battery life.
    + Heightened proximity sensor accuracy to enable faster
    screen response
    + Faster location tracking during GPS navigation.
    + Faster transitions between Wi-Fi and 3G in data connection.

5. jlee

jlee New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got the OTA from this thread. It does appear to be the legit OTA because it would not apply to my stock Droid 2 unless it was signed by Motorola.

I'm applying it now and will attempt to root and then reinstall Fission 1.2.1. I'll report back here with the results...

Jay

Update: Got root :) Apparently Motorola has not patched the rageagainstthecage vulnerability yet...

Update: Bootstrap still works... Will try loading Fission 1.2.1 next...

Update: Fission 1.2.1 seems to load fine. See screenshot. Going to try to restore pre-OTA backup of my data next...

Update: No go on the data restore but that could be because I A) was running Fission 2.0rc and am running 1.2.1 after the OTA or B) filled my SD Card up during the backup :) YMMV but I'm just going to start clean.

Attached Files:

6. AngDroid

AngDroid Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    Did it work? I am SBFing now and going to update to see what has changed, test fission with new kernel and if any improvements I will carry them to fission.

So I will be in lab getting Fission ready for new kernel and all that good crap if there is any :)

7. jlee

jlee New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it pretty much worked except for my screwup in backing up my data. What are your thoughts on including the relevant OTA bits with a Fussion install? Wouldn't it work as long as the eFuse is happy that the relevant parts are signed by Motorola? Is the custom bootstrap capable of rewriting the boot partition?

Jay

8. AngDroid

AngDroid Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for doing this. It will save me some steps. Do not try to SBF, I will do that will my development device, thats why I have it :)

So far it looks like the only benefit of this ROM is the update radio and kernel. Before anyone attempts an SBF let me try first!!! :)

9. AngDroid

AngDroid Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    Those do not need kernel updates. Is anyone 100% sure there is a differnet kernel? I forgot to do a screen grab before updating but the kernel version looks to be the same number.

Can someone help me confirm this please?

10. rtfield

rtfield New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Stock- 2.6.32.9-g59f0395 w30471@il93lnxdroid08#1

11. AngDroid

AngDroid Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    and the ota update version since I am SBFing after OTA update :)~

12. AngDroid

AngDroid Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1

Looks like Fission already had this update since I got all drivers from R2D2 2.4.5 build. Double checking them later to make sure.