Droid 2 notification tones

grunt

Reaction score
I just got my Droid 2 and I can't seem to find any instructions on adding notification tones. I have downloaded ASTRO and it seems to make adding ringtones much easier but doesn't work for notifications.

Many thanks

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ringdroid

DroidForums junkie!!

Droids

Reaction score
Using Astro, create a new folder at the root of the sd card, named Media. Inside Media create a folder named Audio. Inside Audio create seperate folders for Ringtones, Notifications, Alarms.

Put your notifications, ringtones, and alarm sounds into their respective folders. The phone will see them and allow you to select and use them.

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
Are you able to assign different ringtones to individual contacts on a Droid2? I have a Vortex but I have a 30 day trial period and I'm on the fence.

OP
G

grunt

Reaction score
Astro

Ok ....I made the folders then went to astro and went into download, picked the notification I wanted and touched options and only options aval. were "play" or "ringtones". What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for patience.....this is all new to me.

OP
G

grunt

Reaction score
assign different tones to contacts

Yes I have figured that out....by mistake....LOL

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok ....I made the folders then went to astro and went into download, picked the notification I wanted and touched options and only options aval. were "play" or "ringtones". What am I doing wrong?
Read post #3 by Droids again. The file(s) need to be moved into the correct folder(s). Download is not the folder for notifications, ringtones or alarms. You can use Astro to move the file(s) into the folder(s) it needs to be in.

If the file in Download is what you want to use as a notification then it needs to be moved to the Notifications folder.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Ok I may be wrong, but I thought I read in the developers SDK documentation that the special folders should be located on the root of the sdcard, such as /sdcard/Ringtones? I recently restructured my sdcard like that and all my custom ringtones and notifications automatically show up when I goto into Settings. I used to use the file structure listed above. Lol it might not even matter as long as the folder names are the same.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think you're right, that's how it I'd on my phone too.

Ok I may be wrong, but I thought I read in the developers SDK documentation that the special folders should be located on the root of the sdcard, such as /sdcard/Ringtones? I recently restructured my sdcard like that and all my custom ringtones and notifications automatically show up when I goto into Settings. I used to use the file structure listed above. Lol it might not even matter as long as the folder names are the same.

DroidForums junkie!!

Droids

Reaction score
It does sound like you can put the folders at the root of the sd card and it will still work. Personally I like to keep the clutter of folders at the root minimal, so I organize anything media related under a media folder.

If your rooted you can look at /system/media/ and see the same folder structure, and you can even delete the crummy sounds the phone comes with if you like. You can even put your custom sounds into these folders and not store anything on the sd card, but you'll lose them when you change roms.