Droid 2 no longer functions properly (apps, phone, network, etc.. )

douglar02

Reaction score
Hello, my phone is no longer functioning properly. I recently rooted it and began removing the default apps I never used.. and I think I may have gone a little to far. It was running perfect, smooth and fast after I rooted and removed the apps. Then all of a sudden it kind of froze, so i removed the battery and turned it back on. After the reboot, the background and signal service no longer come up. My home screen apps come up, but you can't click any of them. Then when you go to the apps list and try to use an app, nothing happens. Then after about 15 mins, the phone reboots and the same process happens. I'm not sure what to do at this point.. to help troubleshoot, I've listed the steps I used to root/remove apps below.

Phone: Moto Droid 2 with the latest update

1. Downloaded and installed the ROM Manager premium app
2. Used the one-click root .bat file for Windows
3. After the phone was rooted, I downloaded and added the cm7 zip file to my phone
4. Using ROM Manager, I located and installed CM7
5. I then downloaded and installed the Titanium backup app
6. Through this app, I began removing the default apps i was never able to remove before
7. The phone froze, I then pulled out the battery, put it back in, and tried to turn on the phone
8. The phone comes on, but as I mentioned in the first paragraph, it does not function properly

To try and resolve, I've tried the following:
1. Holding power and the X button. It brings me to a Droid anime guy, and i hold the volume down button and camera button and nothing happens
2. I tried to hold the power button down and down volume key at the same time, nothing happens

Once the phone is on, the further ive gotten is to have a usb cord hooked up to it, put it in pc mode, and had my pc recognize the phone.. other than that, nothing.

Please help!!!
Thank you for reading,
Kyle

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello, my phone is no longer functioning properly. I recently rooted it and began removing the default apps I never used.. and I think I may have gone a little to far. It was running perfect, smooth and fast after I rooted and removed the apps. Then all of a sudden it kind of froze, so i removed the battery and turned it back on. After the reboot, the background and signal service no longer come up. My home screen apps come up, but you can't click any of them. Then when you go to the apps list and try to use an app, nothing happens. Then after about 15 mins, the phone reboots and the same process happens. I'm not sure what to do at this point.. to help troubleshoot, I've listed the steps I used to root/remove apps below.

Phone: Moto Droid 2 with the latest update

1. Downloaded and installed the ROM Manager premium app
2. Used the one-click root .bat file for Windows
3. After the phone was rooted, I downloaded and added the cm7 zip file to my phone
4. Using ROM Manager, I located and installed CM7
5. I then downloaded and installed the Titanium backup app
6. Through this app, I began removing the default apps i was never able to remove before
7. The phone froze, I then pulled out the battery, put it back in, and tried to turn on the phone
8. The phone comes on, but as I mentioned in the first paragraph, it does not function properly

To try and resolve, I've tried the following:
1. Holding power and the X button. It brings me to a Droid anime guy, and i hold the volume down button and camera button and nothing happens
2. I tried to hold the power button down and down volume key at the same time, nothing happens

Once the phone is on, the further ive gotten is to have a usb cord hooked up to it, put it in pc mode, and had my pc recognize the phone.. other than that, nothing.

Please help!!!
Thank you for reading,
Kyle

I hope you didn't use bootstrap..cm7 doesn't play well..with bootstrap. Also do not mess with restoring data on system apps via tb and backup pro...I would, if I were you.. wipe data, wipe dalvick, wipe cache and reinstall the rom... hold power and hit reboot then recovery...then begin the process.. make sure you keep a backup..hope this helps..lemme know how your doing:)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hope you didn't use bootstrap..cm7 doesn't play well..with bootstrap. Also do not mess with restoring data on system apps via tb and backup pro...I would, if I were you.. wipe data, wipe dalvick, wipe cache and reinstall the rom... hold power and hit reboot then recovery...then begin the process.. make sure you keep a backup..hope this helps..lemme know how your doing:)

Ooops your not on cm7 lol..my bad, anyways..try a factory data reset, then lemme know...your apps should be backed up to market..

OP
D

douglar02

Reaction score
Well the power button does not function either, so that's not even possible unfortunately. However I am using cm7 and I have no idea what bootstrp is so I don't think I had that installed.

How do I factory default?

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the power button does not function either, so that's not even possible unfortunately. However I am using cm7 and I have no idea what bootstrp is so I don't think I had that installed.

Sounds like you need to sbf..if your hardware is malfunctioning.. I would sbf back to stock and send it for replacement..search droidforums for sbf droid2 and its pretty easy but to get to bootloader that poerbutton needs to work...

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score

Easiest way is..hold x on hard keyboard and power for a bit till screen comes on..when you see the triangle hit the lil search key(next to @ button) then hit wipe data factory reset.. lemme know how it works...sorry I was out a bit...I'm here now

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Be careful with what apps you remove. Sometimes removing the wrong app can cause issues. It's not necessary to do with cm7 anyway. It's already super fast. No need to mess with a good thing!

CM74D2 (build-43)

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you can't hold power to get into recovery (for whatever reason), use the rom manager app. Open it and hit reboot recovery. Then wipe and reinstall cm7 with gapps again.

Worst case scenario.... sbf time.

CM74D2 (build-43)

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you can't hold power to get into recovery (for whatever reason), use the rom manager app. Open it and hit reboot recovery. Then wipe and reinstall cm7 with gapps again.

CM74D2 (build-43)

Hoping we catch him before trying to return it.. sounds like it could be a quick fix...

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score

CM74D2 (build-43)

He was saying his power button wasn't even working..

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah. That's why I suggested using rom manager to get into recovery.

CM74D2 (build-43)

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah. That's why I suggested using rom manager to get into recovery.

CM74D2 (build-43)

Hey bro, you know I really feal bad for the guy, I hope he hasn't given up? Between us two and the forum I know we could've saved him..(or her)