Droid 2 Near Field Communications

Reaction score
Does the Droid 2 have the necessary hardware to support near field communications? (The one that eric schmidt showed off with the nexus s running gingerbread today at the web 2.0 conference)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
R
Reaction score
Wow, no one responded. Does nobody know? I did a few google searches and came up with nothing. I was hoping someone here knew.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
What are field coms? Put a link up to the referenced topic so others can review it. At the very least you would get other people looking for an answer.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Oh, the answer is no. I read a few articles yesterday. One specifically stated that we need NFC chip which will be installed in upcoming new phones that support Gingerbread OS.
Here is one link I found, but I can not find the article I read about the chip specifically.
Android Phones to Take Place of Credit Cards in Future | Technology « WeblineIndia.com

Oh, I finally found it:
The phone that lets you leave your wallet at home - Telegraph

Neither article specifically says the D2 does or does not have the chip; however, one is led to conclude that it does not.

Also, a Google search gets this results that has no mention of Motorola.
http://www.google.com/search?q=what...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
The ifixit teardown features one unidentified chip on the back of the Droid 2s motherboard. They called it an unidentified ost chip. Could this be an nfc chip?

liquidchrome

Reaction score
Near Field Communication chip... think about it logically.

Near Field... supposedly these chips can be scanned from up to 4 inches away.
Like my Chase card with Blink, i actually don't swipe the card... just stick it near any card reader that has the Blink wave logo on it and "BLEEP" there's my transaction.

Our phones (Droid 2, Droid X) do not have this NFC chip.
It will require a physical chip to be able to use the NFC feature.
VISA is currently in trial mode with these NFC chips built into micro SD cards so that people won't have to wait to buy a new phone with the chip.
All you'll need to do is buy an NFC embedded microSD card and insert it into your phone.
Just wait till these things actually come out, SUPPOSEDLY 3rd quarter this year... but we'll see.

OP
R
Reaction score
Id only be interested in this if my bank supported it, and if the necessary infrastructure was in place at my local walmart and gas station etc.

liquidchrome

Reaction score
i don't know why this wasn't implemented a long time ago.
Japan has had NFC's on their phones for over 10 years... which was the last time i visited, i watched in awe as a girl purchased a drink from a vending machine by putting her phone up to a scanning plate.

Anyway... i want this on my phone, like NOW.
I use my card for everything and it would be much easier to just pull out my phone and wave. I'm sure they will also develop apps for budgeting and automatically categorizing my purchases so i can see all my income and expenses.
Also would help with any tax prep too. Kinda like what Mint.com does right now.