Droid 2 Liberty GB in a boot loop.Bad keyboard cant get into recovery

GeraldTheOne67

Reaction score
OK I have a droid 2, and It has Liberty GB 0.9 on it.

Im trying to get back to Froyo.
Basically my phones screen stops working when I open up the keyboard.I wanted to see if it was software related (was running pretty crappy too).

I SBFed to VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf and now its in a boot loop while still showing liberty logo.

Now im pretty clueless as I did not install the ROM on the phone, someone else did.

Going back to Froyo is a last ditch effort before I do an insurance claim.Problem is now due to certain circumstances im not going to have the money for about a week or two to replace it.
I would really like to see if I can get it working so I can just keep keyboard closed.

Ive read that maybe you can wipe and reset from recovery and it stops the boot but I cant seem to get into recovery.
When you open the keyboard all lights turn off and screen is dead black. It was very very hard to get it into the SBF mode by holding up bottom, but it did work.

Is VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf the wrong file, and which button do I hold to get into recovery (just to make sure).
Any other Ideas?

vagabond

Reaction score
Is VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf the wrong file, and which button do I hold to get into recovery (just to make sure).
Any other Ideas?

OP just want to confirm for you that you have the correct sbf file and to get into recovery mode you're supposed to hold the "x" key while powering up. If you've just sbf'd the thing though it's probably not going to have the recovery mod still on it. the file size for the sbf file should be something like 455586301 bytes. I've had to sbf about 6 times in the past 2 days because for some reason i can't install any custom roms on it without it completely hosing up. Anyhow, i say that to say this.... A few of those times i had to sbf more than once because it says "success" and it actually fails miserably, but everytime i've eventually been able re-sbf to get it right and get back to froyo. If your still getting the liberty boot logo, you're not getting a good sbf. i'm using win-xp 32bit (virtual machine) and RSDlite 5.3.1. I'd just keep running the sbf on it until it was right. good luck bro.

Update: Fixed mine - Think i had a bad download of the liberty rom. Crap happens.

Last edited:
OP
G

GeraldTheOne67

Reaction score
OP just want to confirm for you that you have the correct sbf file and to get into recovery mode you're supposed to hold the "x" key while powering up. If you've just sbf'd the thing though it's probably not going to have the recovery mod still on it. the file size for the sbf file should be something like 455586301 bytes. I've had to sbf about 6 times in the past 2 days because for some reason i can't install any custom roms on it without it completely hosing up. Anyhow, i say that to say this.... A few of those times i had to sbf more than once because it says "success" and it actually fails miserably, but everytime i've eventually been able re-sbf to get it right and get back to froyo. If your still getting the liberty boot logo, you're not getting a good sbf. i'm using win-xp 32bit (virtual machine) and RSDlite 5.3.1. I'd just keep running the sbf on it until it was right. good luck bro.

Update: Fixed mine - Think i had a bad download of the liberty rom. Crap happens.

Ok I fixed mine
It needed to have a hard reset and wipe from the recovery menu.
Toughest part was when I opened the keyboard, the screen died.The problem is once you closed the keyboard again the screen stayed off.

I cut electrical tape to the size of the key and bunched it up, so once I closed the keyboard it was pressed.
The screen stayed on, saw android guy and pulled the tape out.I then used a toothpick to press the magnifying glass.
Keyboard stayed on, wiped and wala it was done.

Thanks for the help man, I may just keep the phone closed all the time and keep it.