Droid 2 Keyboard Issues and Replacement questions

VargusXIII

Reaction score
Hey DF,

Been reading a bit of the forums for some time, and gotten a lot of useful information about my phone, and hopefully you guys can help me with my situation.

I got a Droid 2 in November of last year, and being the tinkerer I am, rooted it and put on SquiddlyMandingo's ROM sometime in December. It was working great for a while, but now the physical keyboard is doubling what I type (such as double letters or backspacing twice) or missing letters that I do type in. This wasn't too bad a bit ago, but now it's getting pretty frustrating.

In looking through this forum, and found out that this is a pretty common problem with this phone, and after some decent use, the keyboard starts to go out. I also read that if I am still within the manufacturer's warranty (and I am), that I can send it in and get it replaced.

So my questions to you all is this:
1) With a custom ROM running and rooting, does this break the warranty? (my guess is, yes it does)
2) If it does break the warranty, how do I back up all the data I have on my phone (Apps/Data for the apps etc.) so it can be re-loaded onto a fresh phone?
3) How do I flash the phone back to factory defaults and have it look like I've never screwed with the phone in the first place?

I should add I've never overclocked the phone or made it do things it wasn't meant to do (screwed with emulator crap) so it's just the hardware that's failing.

These are probably easy answers, but I'm pretty much an amateur when it comes to doing all things custom to the phone, so I'd like to get it right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

MMsbrat

Reaction score
Some droid 2's wind up with physical keyboard issues. This is my 2nd droid, a replacement for the one where the keyboard wouldnt type certain letters.

Your problem sounds like something called bounce, which is a problem with some keyboards when the contacts meet poorly, or are worn. It causes a kind of static in the signal, causing multiple characters to be displayed. I remember this from my dealings with computer repair. Contact verizon, and ask to talk to a tech. They should be willing to replace it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

chrstdvd

Reaction score
1. Most likely.
2. Use Titanium back up. This puts everything on ur SD card. Then put old SD in new phone.
3. Do a factory reset, or SBF back.