Droid 2 has FM Radio can it be ported to Droid 1?

SimpleJack

Reaction score
Try Flycast, it may have the station you are looking for. I'm in PDX and it has the stations I was looking for. Still in beta and the app will FC sometimes but better than nothing.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering If the Droid 1 even had the hardware to support FM reception??

From what I've heard and read in the past, yes. There was a huge development topic at Alldroid awhile ago. But the main guy working with it ended up getting in a motor vehicle accident, and ended up with a ton of medical bills, and little free time to continue development.

That was Speeddymon from the old Alldroid. I believe the big issue with the prior efforts was figuring out the audio routing, apparently he could tune stations but the device never sent the audio anywheres. I could be wrong, but that is my recollection. Unfortunately, since all of those posts are gone forever, I have no way to back up what I said.

However, if the above is correct, it would mean that the proper connection IS present between the headphone jack and the FM tuner hardware. We will probably be scratching our heads FOREVER trying to figure out why they put the circuitry in the device, but no app to make use of it. Although I think the FM tuner is built into all OMAP34xx series chipsets as it's part of the bluetooth chipset.

Kack

Reaction score
my brother has a DX and it has an fmradio app that comes with it stock. seems to work nicely but i live in a big city. the dx isnt rooted tho. but im sure someone with a rooted dx can pull the apk!

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering If the Droid 1 even had the hardware to support FM reception??

From what I've heard and read in the past, yes. There was a huge development topic at Alldroid awhile ago. But the main guy working with it ended up getting in a motor vehicle accident, and ended up with a ton of medical bills, and little free time to continue development.

That was Speeddymon from the old Alldroid. I believe the big issue with the prior efforts was figuring out the audio routing, apparently he could tune stations but the device never sent the audio anywheres. I could be wrong, but that is my recollection. Unfortunately, since all of those posts are gone forever, I have no way to back up what I said.

However, if the above is correct, it would mean that the proper connection IS present between the headphone jack and the FM tuner hardware. We will probably be scratching our heads FOREVER trying to figure out why they put the circuitry in the device, but no app to make use of it. Although I think the FM tuner is built into all OMAP34xx series chipsets as it's part of the bluetooth chipset.

I did all the directions from XDA and it just hangs on the "Starting up..please wait." I don't know. The D2 and D1 are the SAME except for the processor. I don't see why the D1 can't access the FM Radio too.

aDroidman

Reaction score
If the only problem is that it does not have an built in antenna then yes it can get FM earplugs can be used as an antenna so as long as you have ear buds plugged in you can and should be able to pick up local FM stations