Droid 2 hacking/rom install class

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Development' started by pc747, Oct 25, 2010.

1. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

Amazing Pc747! This is going to help a lot of people!
  2. MischiefsMommy

MischiefsMommy New Member

It is definitely a hard thing to go through. Especially when you have just lost your phone and you are not sure what to do or when you're gonna get it back. I think that is what added to my situation.

I did want to ask you if RSDLIte can be used for ROMs. Ide like to see about trying the sqidley Rom again, but don't want to mess things up.... again.
  3. SDCA_DUDE

SDCA_DUDE New Member

Great guide!! I've booted and running Fission 1.2.1 ROM on my DROID 2 (and I'm re-reading this guide now to really make sure I understand everything!).

Recommended addition:
    Many will want to go from being rooted under SBF 2.2.20 to rooted under 2.3.20. I've seen dozens of warnings to not try to go back (flash using a 2.2.20 sbf once you've upgraded to 2.3.20), but I haven't found any details on how to upgrade to 2.3.20 if you're already rooted under 2.2.20.

I'm sure this will be an issue every time there's a new SBF, so it might be helpful to have some pointers on how to upgrade. For instance, I can boot into recovery, flash/wipe my device, and upgrade...but should I be using the SBF 2.3.20 full? Deodexed or Odexed? Should I restore my phone to factory state 2.2.20, do OTA to 2.3.20, and then re-root using the steps posted? A couple quick pointers would be helpful :)

Thanks!!
  4. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

using roms:

Before flashing any rom it is key to make sure bootstrap has been installed. Now as long as you have a nandroid backup (I would make one immediately after rooting) then you will be ok, but it will not hurt to have rsdlite on standby. Being that you used it already you know it works. Now here is something to pay attention to. If you use a 2.3.20 based rom then use a 2.3.20 sbf file to restore it.

Personally I do not use any roms for the droid 2. I may use a theme or 2 but with the ability to freeze the unwanted apps, with home replacements like ADW and LPP, there is nothing out that a rom can offer me that I have not already done myself being that I use a couple of the motoblur apps. If anything Ill in stall a Deodexed based version of the stock rom.
  5. holmes6

holmes6 New Member

These are my questions too. Since I removed some of the blur apps I can't use update.zip (fails verifying), so I need to sbf, but not sure if I should do 2.2.20 + update or 2.3.20 directly with sbf.
  6. MischiefsMommy

Hi Dude,

I rooted in 2.2.0. I know if using bootstrap I hit the top button then the bottom button. I am a TOTAL NOOB. So I think im just gonna wait a bit. I know I want to speed up my phone cool down the battery and expand memory. So not sure if a rom can do that and have no idea what a kernal is. So don't know if I am asking for the impossible or not. :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:
  7. pc747

1) The only times I would use a full sbf is if I have to turm my device back to verizon or I cant boot up my phone because of a bad rom. You can upgrade your phone through recovery mode. MDW posted a method to install the new 2.3.20 through recovery with out you having to unroot and re root.
    2) Deodexed is mainly used for theming and building roms. This is mainly a version for devs to work off of. If you are a regular user it does not matter which you use.
  8. SDCA_DUDE

SDCA_DUDE New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!! Very helpful!!

One more question: one post indicated that if you just update the SBF via recovery mode, you won't get the benefit of the updated baseband and kernel -- are these things worth flashing the full SBF to get?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  9. pc747

If you have bootstrap installed, then boot into clockwork recovery and follow this to get the new ots. Its like doing a manual install on the droid 1.

TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

Now a step that is not in there but I had to do on a few phones is that I had to wipe data and cache.
  10. pc747

As far as speeding up your phone. I had my droid 2 o/ced to test it. To be honest overclocking your droid 2 is a waste. On the droid 1 when you overclocked from 550 to 1000 that was a bid jump that was worth doing. Going from 1000 to maybe 1200 stable is not really something that is a big deal. Now I do use setcpu to down clock my phone. If I am listening to espnradio app or I just need to conserve my battery I will down clock to 800 or 600. And that is because my phone is in sleep mode with sync, gps, off so that I can listen to what ever sports I am listening to at the time. Really the droid 2 being rooted is just good for the apps, there are no stellar roms for the droid 2 that is out yet.
  11. MischiefsMommy

So then if im doing pandora for a bit would you say to do the down clock? If so where can I find the instructions please?

*edit* im going to be using pandora for at least 8 hours for one day without charging. Have a long flight and no way to recharge.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  12. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    If that's ALL you're going to do, then yes. However, unless the plane is offering WiFi you won't be able to use it. Airplane mode kills the 3G antenna. And FCC and airline guidelines explicitly state that cell phones are to be turned off.

Got a good music library on there? :D
  13. MischiefsMommy

Oh yeah baby! I learned the hard way. I went in and put in every single artist I like so I have a wide varitey and im not stuck with just what they have to offer. Im gonna check on the wifi thing, didn't think they would offer it. Planning on taking my laptop so that is an option too. Thanks!
  14. holmes6

holmes6 New Member

I ended up going with 2.3.20 via SBF.
    booted up, gmail was force closing, activated phone, rooted with dooroot.bat, cleared cache with bootstrap , updating gmail to 2.3 from market (fixed fc problem), seems to be working ok so far

System Version: Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US
    Android Version: 2.2
    Baseband: BP_C_01.09.07P
    Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g462500f
    dbretzm1@il93lnxdroid22 #1
  15. pc747

If you are rooted get the setcpu app. When you open it you can drop the clock speed. It is not necessary but it is something I may do from time to time if all I am doing is listening to music and nothing else.
  16. Jedidr0id

Jedidr0id New Member

Thank you for this thread and sharing. I have a quick question. I have android 2.2 rooted on my d2. I will update to 2.3 soon and then reroot. I know my rooted apps on 2.2 won't work on 2.3. What happens to them? Will 2.3 wipe them from my phone and will they still be installed in there and just not work? Do I have to reinstall or redownload them again once I root on 2.3? Thank you in advance.
  17. pc747

Well my rooted apps work fine. Now initially they will not work until you reroot.
  18. MischiefsMommy

PC. I finally was able to get the cpu app downloaded. how do I know how far to downclock the app?
  19. pc747

I would not drop any lower than 600.
  20. Lithoss

Lithoss New Member

Are we sure that this works with 2.3.2 (method 1 root)??
    I used the blur.zip -> update.zip manual update to 2.3.2, and lost root as expected.

I tried your root method 1 in this thread and all seemed to go well. But when i rebooted and tried to get SU permissions it gets denied. SU in terminal results in "permission denied".

One note, not sure if its related, but without USB debugging enabled the "./rage*.bin" step failed with "Cannot find adb: No such file or directory". I then retried with debugging enabled, and it was fine after that. Still no SU after reboot though.

Superuser permission app is in my launcher screen, and it works fine.

Help!
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
Search tags for this page
a955 error switching phone to bp mode 0x70be
chmod 777 rage*.bin unable

dbretzm1@

down load roms droidx2 using phone
droid 4 class 28

droid2 x6

index[1]: unexpected chip 32
install rom droid 2
rsdlite reboots at bp load