Droid 2 Global Update Rolling Out OTA Now; Breaks Root and Other Root Issues

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid2-global-update-mar-2012.png

The Motorola Droid 2 Global should be receiving an OTA update roll out as you read this. This update brings some bug fixes: Out of Memory errors, camera not saving settings after power down, random power-ups and reboots, and a Google Security Patch amongst other things. If you want to manually check for the update go to Settings–> About Phone–> System Update. Keep something in mind though... this update breaks root and causes some other issues for folks who are rooted. It even patches the vulnerability to be able to gain root access.

For stock users, this is a valuable update, but for our tinkerers, you may need to do some more digging in the forums on how to get the benefits of this update without messing things up for your current setup.

Source: TalkAndroid and VZW

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
After I saw "Google Security Patch" I knew it was going to break root. Same goes for the D2 and the D3. But hopefully, this awesome community will figure out another way of rooting. I hope so. Especially when the update for the D3 rolls out.

raos044

Reaction score
now if only they could fix the problems with music players not repeating songs correctly that the gingerbread update broke on my phone -_-

AaronJae

Reaction score
Why did this update turn my sufficiently fast with 3g phone into something I want to throw everytime I need to load a webpage now? Or go back a page, or do anything involving the speed at which I can use my supposedly unlimited data?

Was this fix a mere effort to push more people to replace their phones with new 4g ones? Cause this crap is unbearably slow at anything requiring it to send or receive data.....which is frickin everything! Cause its a phone!!!!!

& no, I was not rooted, because I believed the available apps functioned sufficiently well, until now anyway.....

bspojio

Reaction score
now if only they could fix the problems with music players not repeating songs correctly that the gingerbread update broke on my phone -_-

I noticed this too. The only player I've tried that works is "MortPlayer" from the google market...

NeXtras

Reaction score
Why did this update turn my sufficiently fast with 3g phone into something I want to throw everytime I need to load a webpage now? Or go back a page, or do anything involving the speed at which I can use my supposedly unlimited data?

Was this fix a mere effort to push more people to replace their phones with new 4g ones? Cause this crap is unbearably slow at anything requiring it to send or receive data.....which is frickin everything! Cause its a phone!!!!!

& no, I was not rooted, because I believed the available apps functioned sufficiently well, until now anyway.....

Seems like this update is hit or miss..

For me it has made my phone so much better.. data is faster and just normal phone operation is better... no fix for the keyboard lights yet, which is now the only real annoyance with the phone

ilovemywife269

Reaction score
is there a way to reverse this update? i tried once and bricked just got my new phone today w/o update (yay! right?...wrong) well now its automatically installing the update it got to 40% and i pulled the battery now every time i start up it starts the update back at 40% and won't let me cancel.......help?

spatialfear

Reaction score