Droid 2 Global Unlock & foreign SIM?

zero7404

Reaction score
Radio unlock is not related to rom flashing/rooting/etc. Once radio is unlocked it stays that way.
Some ROM's may lack SIM pin code unlock feature, but this is not the same as SIM locking/operator locking.

do not mean to display doubt, but has this been validated ?

zazabichi

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I have fully unlocked Droid 2 Global and use it Georgian GSM network.
The user experience is quite good but with some important bugs.

1. It seems that the phone is hard coded to use USSD commands only in Verizon network. So i cant send any USSD command to my Local Mobile operator.
2. I cant browse and watch youtube via Wi_Fi (Only mobile data connection is allowed)
3. besides the fact that I have never had any signal problem, the signal indicator is always on it's lowest level (only one bar).

Rocko

Reaction score
You can leave the sim inside. As long as radio is set to cdma, gsm radio as well as the sim are dormant. And when radio is in CDMA mode - phone is Verizon. When in GSM mode - phone is whatever SIM in it is.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

So I can put my Orange sim in here in the US, unlock it, and when I am in the UK, what do I need to do in order to use the sim, not Verizon's roaming?

zero7404

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I have fully unlocked Droid 2 Global and use it Georgian GSM network.
The user experience is quite good but with some important bugs.

1. It seems that the phone is hard coded to use USSD commands only in Verizon network. So i cant send any USSD command to my Local Mobile operator.
2. I cant browse and watch youtube via Wi_Fi (Only mobile data connection is allowed)
3. besides the fact that I have never had any signal problem, the signal indicator is always on it's lowest level (only one bar).

what is a USSD ?

zero7404

Reaction score
You can leave the sim inside. As long as radio is set to cdma, gsm radio as well as the sim are dormant. And when radio is in CDMA mode - phone is Verizon. When in GSM mode - phone is whatever SIM in it is.

So I can put my Orange sim in here in the US, unlock it, and when I am in the UK, what do I need to do in order to use the sim, not Verizon's roaming?

settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/

change the mode to GSM when u want to use the sim. when in the states, set it to cdma. don't use global unless you want it to be automatic at the expense of battery consumption ....

Rocko

Reaction score

change the mode to GSM when u want to use the sim. when in the states, set it to cdma. don't use global unless you want it to be automatic at the expense of battery consumption ....

Perfect. It's my wife's phone and she is not as tech savvy as I am-that's not saying much.

Thank you very much!

silver6054

Reaction score

Perfect. It's my wife's phone and she is not as tech savvy as I am-that's not saying much.

Thank you very much!
To use data, you will need to set up an APN. According to Worldwide GPRS MMS and Internet Settings for Mobile Phones

the settings are

Operator: - Orange UK
GPRS APN: - orangeinternet
Username: - {blank}
Password: - {blank}
Gateway IP: - 192.168.71.35

To enter these, Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks

Make sure Network Mode is set to GSM/UTMS

Then click on Access point names
Menu button to select New APN
then enter those values above.

or you can call 156 once in the UK to contact Orange for help

calikool

Reaction score
has anyone unlocked/hacked the phone so that t-mobile or at&t sim cards can be used on this phone w/o an issue?

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
has anyone unlocked/hacked the phone so that t-mobile or at&t sim cards can be used on this phone w/o an issue?

Yes but the info is not public or anywhere to be found on the web. I actually owned a PRO and had a D2g both on T-Mobile & AT&T but I sold the D2g as I got offered the right price and I couldn't pass it up seeing as I don't have a use for GSM service. And no I did not do it friend of a friend got it taken care of for me so I have no idea how it was done. All I know is a Moto engineer had it and when i got them back and they worked with any SIM car I put in the device.

FYI tho keep an eye on Twitter if you use it. It gets discussed by "Droid Band Unlocked" They are trying to come up with a way to get it to happen I believe

zero7404

Reaction score

Thank you very much!
To use data, you will need to set up an APN. According to Worldwide GPRS MMS and Internet Settings for Mobile Phones

the settings are

didnt know data gateway needs configuration, i thought it was automatic ...

so i would need to grab apn info from the sim carrier?

posted via android

silver6054

Reaction score

Thank you very much!

the settings are

didnt know data gateway needs configuration, i thought it was automatic ...

so i would need to grab apn info from the sim carrier?

posted via android

Yes, sorry, it can be automatic (read from the SIM). But it seems that it often isn't for whatever reason! So, check to see if the APN has been automatically added, and, if not, try adding it.

Jordstar

Reaction score
Also AFAIK the device must be unlocked here in the US before it can be used overseas.

I have unlocked mine while already in Canada. Unlock code from online unlocker worked for me. I did not get the code from VZ (they refused to release it as I was brand new prepaid :))

Looking to buy a Droid 2 Global, just want to make sure I can sim-unlock it for use with Rogers in Canada easily before I throw down my cash.

Which online unlock provider did you use?

xhek

Reaction score
I unlocked my D2G the other day via the unlock code I got from one of the verizon techs. It unlocked it fine, however when I try to use it with a foreign sim I can't get it to work.

I am using a One-2 Call AIS Thailand sim card, which was activated for international coverage before it was shipped to me. When I put it in the phone and turn it on I seem to get signal bars. However when I try to check my balance on the SIM or call someone I get these 2 messages:

Checking balance: "Announcement for, your call cannot be completed as dialed."

Trying to call someone: "Long distance or international calling is not included with your service."

What strikes me odd is the lady's voice who speaks these to me sounds like the verizon lady, as opposed to the one I am used to hearing when I normally use the Thai sim card.

I changed the network settings to Global and GSM/UMTS. Global will show signal strength however when its set to GSM it can't find anything to connect to. Not sure if it matters but my phone is rooted, and I live in North Carolina.

Any help on this would be great, I emailed verizon 5 days ago but haven't heard back yet.

silver6054

Reaction score
I unlocked my D2G the other day via the unlock code I got from one of the verizon techs. It unlocked it fine, however when I try to use it with a foreign sim I can't get it to work.

I am using a One-2 Call AIS Thailand sim card, which was activated for international coverage before it was shipped to me. When I put it in the phone and turn it on I seem to get signal bars. However when I try to check my balance on the SIM or call someone I get these 2 messages:

Trying to call someone: "Long distance or international calling is not included with your service."

What strikes me odd is the lady's voice who speaks these to me sounds like the verizon lady, as opposed to the one I am used to hearing when I normally use the Thai sim card.

I changed the network settings to Global and GSM/UMTS. Global will show signal strength however when its set to GSM it can't find anything to connect to. Not sure if it matters but my phone is rooted, and I live in North Carolina.

Any help on this would be great, I emailed verizon 5 days ago but haven't heard back yet.
Where are you now when doing these tests, US or Thailand (or somewhere else!). In the US, GSM won't work, regardless of SIM as AT&T and T-Mobile are being blocked.

Reaction score

You can't use a Thailand SIM card in North Carolina.