Droid 2 Global reboots when app accesses GPS!

ba-b4

Reaction score
Does this happen to anyone else? Almost every time I use the camera or Yelp or any other app that accesses the GPS it reboots on me. Eventually it stops rebooting but more often than not it will reboot on me. Now that I have the phone and experiencing this I've read that some others with the regular droid 2 had this happen to them as well. Is there something wrong with Motorolas gps drivers or something? This sucks.. maybe I need to return it for the HTC merge.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if you have an automatic task killer or an anti virus app remove them. If that do not fix then try a factory reset, after that I would get a replacement.

OP
B

ba-b4

Reaction score
No antivirus and no task killers. I've done a factory reset already and it still crashes when apps try to access the GPS. It doesn't always do it but it does it a LOT. I wonder if getting another one will really fix the problem.. but if you guys aren't experiencing the same thing maybe I just got a bad one? Basically it's the same problem as this.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/36500

Booting to safe mode works to stop the reboots and that probably means there's some software conflict but I think that's crap. I don't have all that many apps installed not even half as many as my old phone and that phone never rebooted on me. I think it's something to do with crappy software drivers for the GPS or oversensitive software that's not very robust and stable. Otherwise why is this happening on a new phone when it doesn't happen on my old phone with more apps? I'm beginning to think Motorola sux. If the HTC merge wasn't all binged out and has only an 800mhz processor I'd switch to that without a thought.

Just a heads up to you folks thinking about this phone. Actually this is my wife's phone and she was waiting for this global Droid 2 for a long time but now that she has it and all these things are happening.. besides the reboots exchange mail doesn't work good either, with the stock email app nor touchdown. arghh

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No antivirus and no task killers. I've done a factory reset already and it still crashes when apps try to access the GPS. It doesn't always do it but it does it a LOT. I wonder if getting another one will really fix the problem.. but if you guys aren't experiencing the same thing maybe I just got a bad one? Basically it's the same problem as this.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/36500

Booting to safe mode works to stop the reboots and that probably means there's some software conflict but I think that's crap. I don't have all that many apps installed not even half as many as my old phone and that phone never rebooted on me. I think it's something to do with crappy software drivers for the GPS or oversensitive software that's not very robust and stable. Otherwise why is this happening on a new phone when it doesn't happen on my old phone with more apps? I'm beginning to think Motorola sux. If the HTC merge wasn't all binged out and has only an 800mhz processor I'd switch to that without a thought.

Just a heads up to you folks thinking about this phone. Actually this is my wife's phone and she was waiting for this global Droid 2 for a long time but now that she has it and all these things are happening.. besides the reboots exchange mail doesn't work good either, with the stock email app nor touchdown. arghh

Dude I think you just have a bad phone get a replacement.

OP
B

ba-b4

Reaction score
^Yeah I'll probably wind up doing that. My wife thinks the HTC Merge is ugly anyway. Hopefully the next one won't have this problem.

eggzrule

Reaction score
Actually I ran into this problem a few times while using the Navigation app. I had Pandora playing in the background and had a low GPS signal. Phone rebooted randomly, but started back up and didn't run into this again. I have a feeling it had something to do with driving in an area that had a low signal (switched to 1xTX Mode before rebooting).

Maybe it's rebooting when trying to use some of the "Assisted GPS" features when the Network is unavailable?

sharondet

Reaction score
I just got back from vacation, and my new Droid 2 Global was (and is) rebooting multiple times a day, sometimes in the middle of phone calls, sometimes when trying to access apps, or GPS. I haven't really seen a pattern, just ALL THE TIME. I never had this problem with my D1.

OP
B

ba-b4

Reaction score
see guys.. I knew I wasn't the only one this was happening to. This defect is for real on these phones!

Slipshod

Reaction score
I just got my D2G yesterday, and it's reboot 2 out of 3 times (so far) when I try to start the camera. I'll check some other GPS enabled apps as well to see if it's related.

Dangit. I got a free D2G upgrade from BestBuy because my D1 was so flaky. Suck.

kz4q66

Reaction score
My phone reboot every time I tried to access maps. Does anyone khow why? Bad hardware?

OP
B

ba-b4

Reaction score
My pattern so far is that it reboots like 5 or 6 times in a row when accessing GPS then it stops rebooting. Basically keep going until it stops. But in other peoples situation it might keep rebooting. Who knows... I blame bad software.. maybe Motoblur again or bad drivers. Probably not a hardware problem because when it works it works fine.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny with the first batch of responses you were willing to get another phone. Then as soon as a few people came and said they had an issue, and btw not all of them seem to have the exact same issue you were having then its " aha, I knew there was a problem with this phone." And none of them that I saw said they attempted a Factory Data Reset like you did.

Just get a replacement for the phone or if you're still in your 30 day period get another phone. I have a D2 and I don't have that issue.

OP
B

ba-b4

Reaction score
Funny with the first batch of responses you were willing to get another phone. Then as soon as a few people came and said they had an issue, and btw not all of them seem to have the exact same issue you were having then its " aha, I knew there was a problem with this phone." And none of them that I saw said they attempted a Factory Data Reset like you did.

Just get a replacement for the phone or if you're still in your 30 day period get another phone. I have a D2 and I don't have that issue.

I actually am waiting to get the HTC Merge and have been waiting it out to see if it will be released but looks like it really isn't going to come out anymore so I think I really will return it before the 30 days is up. The bugs on this phone isn't imaginary it's a problem with the Manufacturer. Not only this GPS thing which isn't that big a deal because when it works it stays working for a while, but it's the corporate email sync that's rediculous especially for a phone marketed for the global corporate email user.