Droid 2 Global reboot on standby / sleep

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by Elanzer, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Elanzer

Elanzer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When my D2G goes to sleep/standby, it reboots. It doesn't matter what ROM I'm using, even going back to complete stock with SBF it still reboots entering sleep. There's no instability otherwise - I can play with the thing for hours.

It seems -alot- of android users have, on many different devices. I've been digging and digging for a solution, the more I dig the more widespread it seems across all Android devices. There are people on forums on their 2nd and 3rd units with the exact same problem, with no real solution too, so it's pretty hard to believe it's a hardware issue, but SBF doesn't fix it.. I'm at a loss.

While I'd like to be able to simply bring it back to Verizon, I'm not a US citizen nor did I buy it from verizon. I bought the phone off ebay since there's otherwise no way to get ahold of it in Canada, there's no option here for smartphones with qwerty keyboards that are unlockable w/ sim slot, rootable, and have custom roms available. Even the Milestone is useless here because it's 3G bands doesn't work on any of our providers.

Any suggestions on more to try before I begrudgingly have to send this back to the seller?

2. Elanzer

Elanzer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm.. doesn't happen on Airplane mode, but it still happens with wifi disabled. I wonder if I could have a bad sim card that's causing the problem.

3. Elanzer

Elanzer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A bit more digging and I've sort of located the problem. It appears to be my router, I can connect to my neighbour's router without any reboots. As for what on the router is causing it.. not sure yet. We use the exact same router (ASUS RT-N16) at work and the reboots were happening there as well. Now to pinpoint the problem..

4. bdsullivan76

bdsullivan76 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It may be that you have to open a specific port on your router. Just speculation but it maybe something to look into. Seems most random reboot issues are due to poor data signal and in this case may be that the phone is having an issue disconecting when it goes to sleep.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

5. Elanzer

Elanzer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I spoke too soon, still reboots under all conditions. Even Airplane mode, even with SD and SIM card removed it still reboots itself on standby. Looks like this phone is more or less a paperweight unless it's plugged in, or I set it to leave the screen on at all times and never lock it. I wish a carrier in Canada would put out a phone like this with a proper keyboard. My only option is to pick up yet another one of these on ebay and take another risk hoping it's not also a bad apple, or simply buy an euro phone like the Milestone and deal with 2G data rates.

6. Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Motorola just announced a version of D3 for Canada, XT860 4G. Quad-band GSM, tri-band WCDMA (w/HSPA+). So you might want to wait until it hits the shelves.

7. Elanzer

Elanzer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, after SBFing back to 2.4.330 and then updating to the leaked Gingerbread, this problem seems to have went away. It might be a bit too early to say, but it has lasted nearly a day of uptime without rebooting. Prior to this, simply SBFing to 2.4.330 left the phone with the "sleep of death" issue, even with trying countless roms including the CM7 nightly every few days, and all sorts of settings that apparently cause this. I spent hours and hours with no success, but this seems to have fixed it. So, anyone else that still has their D2G on hand that has this problem, try the Gingerbread leak... it seems like it's not entirely a hardware issue. I'll report back after a couple days to see if it really is gone.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  8. Muig

Muig New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did it work? :)

I have the same problem on a Sony Xperia Neo I just bought from eBay. My workaround is to use an App called "Wake Lock - PowerManager". This modifies standby behaviour so that the screen shuts off, but the phone will not enter "deep sleep". Deep sleep- i.e. CPU low or zero power mode- must be what is causing the reboots.

It works, but obviously battery life is much shorter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that an imminent update to Android 4.0 might fix the problem.

Search tags for this page

andriod reboot in standby

android rebooting after standby

android restart when standby

droid incredible 2 reboots from sleep mode

how to fix sleep mode on droid global 2

how to reboot motorola droid 2 global

logo standby on reboot android

sim card causing reboot in droid 2 global

when it is sleep it reboot android

xperia neo sleep reboot partiak wake lock