Droid 2 Global - International Calls with Pre-paid SIM card

ddckylec

Reaction score
Droid 2 Global

Just upgraded my rooted Droid to the Droid 2 Global and will be taking it to Hong Kong.

Does anyone know what I have to do the phone in order to use a pre-paid SIM card from Hong Kong in the Droid 2 Global without paying Verizon's $2/minute fee?

Root? Unlock SIM? Anything else?

I'm not an advanced user, but can follow directions, so some detailed instructions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

r314bd

Reaction score
Does anyone know what I have to do the phone in order to use a pre-paid SIM card from Hong Kong in the Droid 2 Global without paying Verizon's $2/minute fee?
All you have to do is get the SIM unlock code. Call VZW Global Support and they'll hook you up as long as your line has been active and in good standing for at least 6 months.

OP
D

ddckylec

Reaction score
I called to unlock the SIM, and they said it would void the phone warranty...why? They also said I have to have the Hong Kong SIM card with me when I request the unlocked SUM

r314bd

Reaction score
I called to unlock the SIM, and they said it would void the phone warranty...why?
I've heard this a few times as well. I wouldn't worry about it. There's no real way for them to tell unless they put in a foreign SIM card themselves (which is not a priority for VZW, trust me)
They also said I have to have the Hong Kong SIM card with me when I request the unlocked SIM
Just lie. To actually put in the code in your phone, you'll need a non-VZW SIM, but to get the code, you obviously don't need one. Just say you put in a non-VZW SIM next time you call (even if you didn't) and they'll hook you up.

mastervader

Reaction score
The previous post had it correct.

Call them up and tell them you have a foreign sim card inserted and is asking you for the unlock code.

They will give you 2 codes based on your meid. Write them down, and tell them it worked fine

When you get to your destination, purchase a local prepaid SIM, insert and boot the phone. You will be promted for the unlcok code and type the first number that vzw gave you.

Now you can access the phone and it should automatically pick up the local network. This will give you calls and sms.

If you want to use data, then you need to know the APN settings for the local network (google is your friend) and input that info into settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks > access point names

Should automatically pick up 3G after saving your APN settings

willzzz88

Reaction score
What does the 2nd code do? Is it an algorithm calculation thing that if the first doesn't work try the 2nd based on the IMEI#? It's the same function for both correct?

mastervader

Reaction score
You are right, both numbers are based on the imei.
the first one always works, but there is a second one just in case

OP
D

ddckylec

Reaction score
"If you want to use data, then you need to know the APN settings for the local network (google is your friend) and input that info into settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks > access point names

Should automatically pick up 3G after saving your APN settings"

Mastervader - could you help me out.

Im in Hong Kong. Purchased a SIM, the phone works! The 3G doesnt :(

What APN do I google? How, what, hugh? Help, never done this before.

Thanks for being there when I need u mastervater.

mastervader

Reaction score
I do not know what carrier you are using, but lets say you were to have an Sk Telecom prepiad sim.

You need to google 'sk telecom APN setings'

Usually you just need the APN name, username and password.

Once you find those settings, then go into mobile networks in the phone, and add a new APN and then just edit the APN field and username and password. Then save your settings. After a minute you should see 3G pop up.

Keep in miind that some networks, like the one I am using in Chile, have different APN settings depending on your plan, postpaid or prepaid so if the APN settings you try dont work, keep searching for different ones

willzzz88

Reaction score
mastervader since you seem to have some knowledge...
Is there a hack for the 310 MCC (Mobile Country Code) GSM/WCDMA block on the device yet? Someone said it requires the radio resource firmware to be flashed in order for the device to work on ATT/T-Mobile. The device in the debug screens sees AT&T's 3G 310-410 and even if it has the correct authentication (AT&T 3G SIM) it refuses to connect likewise with T-Mobile 2G.

mastervader

Reaction score
mastervader since you seem to have some knowledge...
Is there a hack for the 310 MCC (Mobile Country Code) GSM/WCDMA block on the device yet? Someone said it requires the radio resource firmware to be flashed in order for the device to work on ATT/T-Mobile. The device in the debug screens sees AT&T's 3G 310-410 and even if it has the correct authentication (AT&T 3G SIM) it refuses to connect likewise with T-Mobile 2G.

No idea if there is a way to hack the 310 mcc country code.

I read that there was a global HTC android phone that was locked also and the guys over at XDA where able to unlock those carriers.
My guess is that is only a matter of time before the XDA team will unlock that mcc on our droid 2 global

fmaa0227

Reaction score
3G settings

I am not very knowledgeable on the 3G stuff, once i enabled the APN settings to the foreing carrier settings, that means i have unlimited data to use or would it be based on the sim card account, or the amount i have on the phone, how would that work?
Sorry for the rush but i just noticed this forum and i am kinda traveling overseas in 2 days, thanks

silver6054

Reaction score
I am not very knowledgeable on the 3G stuff, once i enabled the APN settings to the foreing carrier settings, that means i have unlimited data to use or would it be based on the sim card account, or the amount i have on the phone, how would that work?
Sorry for the rush but i just noticed this forum and i am kinda traveling overseas in 2 days, thanks
It won't give you unlimited data. You will get charged at the rate that depends on the SIM, which could be "unlimited" but "fair use" (which seems to be between 25MB per day to 500MB per month) or some flat fee per MB.
If you select a good SIM, it will be much cheaper than using the supplied Vodafone SIM. Obviously need to get your phone unlocked before you go.