DROID 2 global Fission Rom will be updated late pm or early am

Asphyx

Reaction score
Great discussion, guys. I know it is a healthy forum when people air perfectly legitimate grievances with a situation, and then get verbally attacked and called names by others for openly sharing their thoughts.

Fact #1: Angdroid is a great developer who has done a lot for the Droid community.
Fact #2: Angdroid has not been completely honest about his progress with the D2G ROM, leading to longer than anticipated wait times brought on by his own statements.

Is there really any disputing these facts? I, for one, would not be "whining" about this if the ROM update had not been promised, but not delivered, 3 times. If Angdroid had said nothing, but just kept plugging away at it, there would be no unrest. It is okay to feel lied to, and it is okay to discuss it. Now please stop being so rude. If you are content to wait and say nothing, that is wonderful. But it doesn't mean everyone else has to just shut up.

And is calling Ang a liar going to make him post an update faster? or Slower?

The developers who make these ROMs donate hours and hours of their life to make them. They share their work because people like to GIVE things to others. But if those others don't seem to like HOW and WHEN they get their gift or don't show appreciation of that gift, do you really expect the giver to keep on giving to them?

As stated by others the D2G is a daunting task to make ROMs for because it has a dual band radio, is newer and is unlike any other model (save the droid2 Pro). The Locked bootloader has been a major stumbling block in getting other Roms to port to us. Cyanogen group has stated time and again that because of the locked bootloader we can't expect a cyangen port anytime soon to the D2G.

Fission is basically a Motorola rom with some pieces changed in /system. Most other ROMS you see are AOSP or based on it which means they can simply flash a new kernel for the newer model phones that come out, and all of their other /system code will then work. Notice how quickly the HTC ROMs seem to come out. No bootloader lock!

bottomline though is If someone came to you and said hey I'm going to try and give you $20 every month but then misses a month should you complain you didn't get your FREE GIFT? Or should you say well maybe I will get my free gift next month and just be happy that the guy didn't call the whole thing off and say OH sorry folks not making D2G roms anymore see ya!

You give things away to feel appreciated, once you stop appreciating them they tend to say you know what I'm not getting what I was hoping to get from doing this nice act! I guess I'll stop!

Sure it is frustrating that there is only one custom rom (two in you include the blurless Hexor rom) for our phone.
The reasons for that have been stated.

If you would rather be part of the solution instead of part of the problem head on over to the Get R Done thread and help them work out their sensor issues with the Romer patch so then you can flash not only Fission but Liberty and Gummy as well!

Because if they manage to get that patch perfected then we will have a choice of plenty of roms to flash, possibly including Cyanogen's as well once the files neede to run everything on a very distinct piece of harware have been identified!

And I am sorry for taking some users to task but I do find it a bit rediculous to complain about someone else not giving an effort when the person complaining isn't giving even half the effort of the person they are complaining about!

Thats all I'm going to say on this subject again.

Digital Cha0s

Reaction score
@Asphyx Right on man @The Complaining go buy an HTC your problems will be solved just wait and be glad to get an update if or when it shows up

Sent from my D2G

draexo

Reaction score
I appreciate all Angdroid has done but it is not right to lead people on. Heck I donated and I did not even think I was going to put on Fission. Either way I am going to throw another donation his way whether he releases 2.6 or not. Why? Because I will support the cause. But I can not tolerate all the broken promises. I am sorry if that offends anyone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Mike Dee

Reaction score
Asphyx, your point presupposes we're a bunch of leechers; we're not. Many, if not most, of us have donated. The reason we're so impatient is because we LIKE Fission so much, which is also why the undelivered promises are frustrating. And as people who have donated, we have the right to respectfully ask "so, what's the deal?" In conclusion, get off your high horse. ;)

sniper6

Reaction score
Wow.... While I agree that it's not ok to lead someone on and you shouldn't talk about it when it can't be backed up. I think I can speak for a lot of people here when I say he probably has another life (like the rest of us) outside of droid world, that keeps him pretty busy. Leave the poor dude alone. It'll be finished when it's finished. It's free for hells sake! What more do you want??? All of our phone already do more than most people's pc's!

ExodusC

Reaction score
Wow.... While I agree that it's not ok to lead someone on and you shouldn't talk about it when it can't be backed up. I think I can speak for a lot of people here when I say he probably has another life (like the rest of us) outside of droid world, that keeps him pretty busy. Leave the poor dude alone. It'll be finished when it's finished. It's free for hells sake! What more do you want??? All of our phone already do more than most people's pc's!
This pretty much sums it up.

AngDroid has a life outside of Android development.

It's disappointing to not have an update for the Droid 2 Global yet, but it'll come out when it comes out.

tebower

Reaction score
This pretty much sums it up.

AngDroid has a life outside of Android development.

It's disappointing to not have an update for the Droid 2 Global yet, but it'll come out when it comes out.

We all agree on a lot. He's great, has another life, etc.

But please - don't make any more announcements about a release unless they are going to show up. This very thread was started because of a tweet directly from Angdroid. Take your time, but tell us you're taking your time, not that it'll be ready tomorrow. I have said it several times - clear communication. Say what's actually going on or say nothing at all.

sniper6

Reaction score
On a different note. Will someone lead me in the direction on how to find the bootanimation.zip file on the D2G. I'm just learning and I want to learn how to put a custom boot animation on my phone. Where do I start? Ya know, while we're waiting! LOL!

Asphyx

Reaction score
Asphyx, your point presupposes we're a bunch of leechers; we're not. Many, if not most, of us have donated. The reason we're so impatient is because we LIKE Fission so much, which is also why the undelivered promises are frustrating. And as people who have donated, we have the right to respectfully ask "so, what's the deal?" In conclusion, get off your high horse. ;)

Yes Mike you donated...

Do you have Fission 2.4.3?
If so thats what your donation paid for.
If he had taken donations and failed to give you a working ROM you might have a point. Or did you think the first ROM was FREE and your donation meant he was required to make a new release without getting some restitution for his original work?

But there is a full and complete rom available to run.
Which means he has forfilled any obligations he had by accepting that donation.

You want regular updates then there are two ways to proceed.

1 - Hire Ang and pay his living expenses so he has nothing to do all day but to meet your deadlines
2 - Hire some other dev that will do it instead.

A donation entitles you to a fully working version of the project. Not a new one when the whim of having something to flash hits you.
When you buy apples at a store it doesn't give you the right to go in and take an apple whenever you feel like either.

I know not everyone involved is an a$$, your probably a fair minded guy.

Let me ask you something...
Do you really think this thread is going to get you something new quicker?

I mean REALLY?

Is there any point in any aspect of life where it makes sense to antagonize or complain about the person who has the ability to give you something you really want?

Are you likely to get it doing so?

Just think about it and let this thread die a natural death!

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
On a different note. Will someone lead me in the direction on how to find the bootanimation.zip file on the D2G. I'm just learning and I want to learn how to put a custom boot animation on my phone. Where do I start? Ya know, while we're waiting! LOL!

Its in /data/local.... just rename the bootanimation as something else, put the custom one in, name it as bootanimation.zip and reboot.

sniper6

Reaction score
Sweet! Thank you! Oh and I just downloaded the alpha version of Squidlys! Can't wait to try it!

Asphyx

Reaction score

Well you can install a variety of bootanims from FRM (Fission Rom Manager)

But if you want to make your own there is a tutorial on XDA if I'm not mistaken.

sniper6

Reaction score
Thank you! I'll check it out first thing in the morning!

Mike Dee

Reaction score
Quit with the straw men, asphyx.

sniper6

Reaction score
What's that supposed to mean??