Droid 2 Global crashing while using GPS?

AnotherVersion

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd iteration of the D2G, first two had issues using GPS with Google Maps. When I would open Google Maps with GPS enabled and the layer set to "satellite" the devices would hang indefinitely, and if I put either of them to sleep they would invariably crash and reboot to the Droid eye.

So after the first one started dying and I got it replaced, I expected that to be it; isolated incident. Seconded device, same problems emerged. Third device is now hanging on Google Maps. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm going to copy/paste logcat from the last (almost) crash on the 3rd device.

Also of note is the:
Code:
	 [ERROR]	AKMD2(1171)	x = 520, y = -88, z = 788
Which pings constantly what my XYZ axes are into the logcat. Weird, huh?

[You may also note that this is part of a shotgun approach trying to find an answer to this problem; I have a feeling it's a problem all D2Gs are susceptible to, and I'm just lucky enough to have blindly stumbled upon it. I posted this over on RootzWiki also in the hopes that somebody knowledgeable reads it]

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Remove any task killers or virus protection if you have it. Then do a Factory Data Reset. If that doesn't fix it, you'll need to get another one.

OP
A

AnotherVersion

Reaction score
No task killers. No "virus" protection. Factory data reset was done on ALL THREE devices so far. I'm just biding my time until this one crashes, I think, and then taking tier 2 tech support up on their 3 strikes offer of a new device.

EDIT: Let me clarify, the 3rd device is already hanging on day 2 of being active, and I had to factory reset anyway when I got it, so... yeah.

OP
A

AnotherVersion

Reaction score
For all the people, following along at home: I'm waiting for a callback from a Tier 2 supervisor. Aside from Cyanogen himself calling me, I think this is a-boot the best I'm going to get.

rebirth24

Reaction score
I am in the same boat (but only on d2g #2). No task killers, No "virus" protection, and yet I am still having reboot issues. Can't wait to find out what happens with this.

tothenet

Reaction score
I believe it's Google Map issue. Google map was stable around 5.0 but later upgraded brought hanging problem. When the issue appeared, I tested with other navigation software such as Copilot and iGo and all of them worked fine. Only Google Map caused issue.

After I installed Angel ROM, Google Map still get frozen but at least Android OS showed me dialogue box to force close. Now with Hexen 1.0, it doesn't hang anymore. Maybe you can try other navigation software to see if it's your phone issue or Google Map problem.

captain howdy

Reaction score
I did some testing of this on my phone. When I select either satellite or terrain the map is just grey with initial, of the states and my phone does not lock up.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Following this with interest as Google Maps constantly crashes my wifes stock D2G

William_04_x

Reaction score
Maps was freezing on mine the past two days. I uninstalled updates from the market app, and DL'ed them again. It works fine now.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
A

AnotherVersion

Reaction score
To update: I went through 4 of them. Plead my case with tier 2. They agreed to give me a thunderbolt. GG Motorola.

tony_g

Reaction score
I've been dealing with the constant freezes of my D2G when starting up Google Maps for 13-14 months now... especially after a day in the office or in the morning with the GPS off. It's D2G as neither the original Droid nor VZ Galaxy Nexus has ever shown this problem. Deleting GMap updates, reinstallation or clearing the cache and two factory resets did not help. For this and a few other reasons (randomly shaking icons, random starts of various apps, inability to enter 1 in a vertical position due to screen miscalibration), I believe this model is flaky... can't wait to switch to a GNx.

r01k

Reaction score
I have the same problem but I thinks it's something related to Google Maps because I've used other maps/navigations apps with no issues. Google Maps and Navigation freeze each two or three times. Really annoying.