Droid 2 Global Construction

MercenaryFH

Reaction score
New to the smartphone world. and Droid 2 Global was my first choice and I got one today :) yipee! Anyways I had a few questions, These seem like generally sturdy phones? How do they hold up as far as sturdyness. The Keyboard also is awesome....but the sliding in and out seems like it'd wear it out quite quickly (or get that annoying wobble/loose feeling) What about Dead Pixels? Or is that basically non-existant these days. Has anyone experienced these problems or generally do the droids maintain pretty solid construction. Thanks oh and I DEF bought a screen protector, don't wanna be scratchin the screen :)

kptphalkon

Reaction score
The body is plastic, watch what you drop it on. No hard irreperable damage but the scratches and dents dont look very good :/. Definitely no hard surfaces. The screens for EVERY smartphone are made out of "gorilla glass" by the glass gods at Corning. Damn near scratch proof, screen protectors are practically a scam. No dead pixels for me, and i would think that chalks up to being covered under the 1 yr factory warranty anyways.

Had the phone for 2 months and the keyboard/screen sliding (for me at least) has made a little groove on the right side facing me but not the left :/ could be a product of having dropped it a couple times, and offsetting the screen track mechanism.

The screen does have a bit of a wobbly feel, again i dont remember if it was like this before the couple of drops, but it seems like it could be a design implementation. I can see how having a totally stiff screen track could make it easier to break, whereas having one that has a bit of play to it might be able to withstand shock....

Well anyways i took entirely too long to write this out! Hope it answered your questions.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

OP
M

MercenaryFH

Reaction score
Overall did you find the construction solidly built though?
And aren't most smartphones plastic anyways?

I like the heavy feel of the phone for sure, the keyboard worried me...but like you said u had dropped it a few times so thats a possibility

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Oh, yeah it feels solid to me. The battery cover isnt loose, it fits flush and nice, the keys are responsive and feel sturdy, my only issue is with the power button I always worry that it feels permanently depressed tho it isnt.

TJConnery

Reaction score
Insurance

I have always used a case on my Droids. First the BodyGlove on the D1, and a carbon fiber effect case from Verizon for the D2. I can't tell you how many times the case has saved my phone (and pda's before that). I'd rather the case absorb the shock and scratches than the phone body.

I feel the same way about screen protectors.

Last bit of quick advice - extended battery, root, unlock and underclock. Other wise you will be recharging every 6 hours.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Last bit of quick advice - extended battery, root, unlock and underclock. Other wise you will be recharging every 6 hours.

+11111

OP
M

MercenaryFH

Reaction score
Ya the batt life is pretty terribad, otherwise have you had any issues with yours?

Does the overclock like.....hurt the phone (since it'd OC'd to 1.2) does that reduce the life of the phone any?

Also the phone does get pretty hot.....Should I be worried? or do most smartphones warm up a bit?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Nah it usually stays at or under 40C at room temperature, i dont think the battery life is too bad either.

After some tweaking and rooting options i can easily go 12+ hours, and more aggressively hit 18+