Droid 2 Global Bloatware Removal Script

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by buryboi, Dec 23, 2010.

1. cdonohue

cdonohue New Member

just a quick question on this...how noticeable is the battery life gain from this cause the d2g battery blows
  2. buryboi

buryboi Premium Member Premium Member Developer

In my opinion...If the only reason you're rooting is to remove the bloatware, it's probably not worth it.

That being said, I feel like the phone is faster, and that the battery lasts longer, but by how much...I have no idea.
  3. tony_g

tony_g New Member

@buryboi,

could step 9 in your your original post be written as a part of the script itself, with the final -rm replaced with -$1? Then running the script with an argument rm or add would perform the required finction?

Or is there a problem with the su command in the script body etc?
  4. buryboi

The first part of Step 9 is only done the first time you install the script (everything except the last line "bloat -rm"). It cant be done as part of the script because it is what makes the script executable.

As far as arguments go, the script has two (it actually has three, but the third one uninstalls it the script so it is unlisted). Once installed as in step 9 (but skipping the last command "bloat -rm") type "bloat" and hit enter to list the arguments.

bloat -rm
    removes the bloatware

bloat -add
    puts it back.

And yes, there do appear to be issues running su in a script (but I'm not the most knowledgeable on scripts, so there might be a workaround).

Let me know if I completely misunderstood your question.

Also if you've got the Clockwork Bootloader setup, it is easier to flash the script as an update.zip, this will remove the bloatware and install the script in one fell swoop. To get the bloatware back, flash it again, or open terminal and type "bloat -add."
  5. tony_g

tony_g New Member

Ah, yes; it only has to be run once when installing the script... I missed that part.

I just thought that having a script would make the operation less prone to typos and other 'disasters'.

I modified the script a bit by removing some of the apps I do use (Kindle, MyVZ etc) and run it, but, a bit worryingly, got a :applet not found message. I have no idea which of the applets i wanted to rename was not on my system... I find the Android U*x version surprisingly crippled; I tried do run a series of commands like these

$su
    #cd /
    #find . -name "*.bak"

but got

find: not found...

what??? Then I tried

#ls -ltR

and got

-ltR: No such file or directory, although

#ls -R

worked.

How the heck can I find on this crippled system what *.bak files are present? There is no grep, no pg, no more...
  6. buryboi

I think the missing applets are DX apps (Most of the apps have the same names except a couple, rather than having two scripts, I just made one that removes either or).

I assume you have busybox, but yes even with that many commands are lacking. But heck...at the end of the day I guess it is just a phone (I cant believe I just typed that...) :)
  7. tony_g

tony_g New Member

Again, you hit the nail on the head... I did notice 2 or 3 apps with DX in the name and was a bit wondering...

I also started reading up a bit on BusyBox and see there are some usage syntax issues I should have familiarized myself before I called it names... ;-) The version of busybox included in the z4root isntallation is actually pretty capable, and the applets come with many standard parameters, including those in ls and grep; even awk!
  8. tony_g

tony_g New Member

@buryboi

I think there is a problem with the bloat script on my device: I run bloat -rm, found app not found, then I went to /system/shin and found bloat with 755 permissions. I then went to /???/app (forgot the directory...), but the bloat apps had not their extensions changed from apk to bak. I am not sure what's wrong, but I'm still rooted... Will play with reloaded stilt without the DX apps.
  9. buryboi

Did you mean /system/sbin? You shouldn't have a /system/shin folder. Regardless, the script needs to be in /system/xbin to be executable.

If it is in a different folder you'll have to navigate to that folder in terminal and type ./bloat -rm
  10. tony_g

tony_g New Member

Sorry for the typos; it was /system/xbin and /data/app. For some reason, the script doesn't work on my D2G. I'm rooted, have su permissions, can explore the directories, see the /system/xbin/bloat with 755 permissions, but when I try to run the script, I get : applet not found and all my bloatware is still there, with apk extensions... When I run

# busybox find / -name "Block*.apk",
    I get
    /system/app/Blockbuster.apk

Don't really know why the script fails...
  11. buryboi

Is your busybox instance in /system/xbin or /system/bin? If you type "bloat" does it show Usage commands or applet not found? Wait....I think I got it.

I think you said you modified the script. How did you do that? Sometimes saving the modified script screws up the format. Try this:

Open terminal on the D2G and navigate to the folder you have bloat in, which you said was /system/xbin. Type the following:

Code:
    $su

#busybox mount -orw,remount /system

#dos2unix bloat

Then type "bloat" and see if you get usage commands. If you do, type "bloat -rm"
  12. tony_g

tony_g New Member

@buryboi, you are a champ!

To avoid introducing those pesky end-of-line DOS characters etc, I used MKS's vi to edit and save the script an a WinXP laptop, but even that clearly did not prevent the problem. However, after issuing the command

busybox dos2unix bloat

everything worked as it should. Thank you!
  13. bmoney1229

bmoney1229 New Member

This method is GREAT! I tried the Fission rom but didn't like it because it removes too many stock apps/options and it seemed a bit buggy to me. This option allows the user to "remove" only the specified apps. Thanks to the OP for the work on this

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
  14. bmoney1229

bmoney1229 New Member

I'm a Droid noob, so go easy on me... does anyone know how to get rid of VZ Backup Assistant and DLNA? I thought this script would do the trick but they are still installed on my phone

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
  15. buryboi

@bmoney, Backup Assistant can be removed, however it does cause some issues if you need to do a factory reset. For that reason, it has been left off the list. DLNA, is safe to remove, I just didn't put it in the script.
  16. Dukefrukem

Dukefrukem New Member

I cannot find z4root on the market. Was it taken down?
  17. nedry

nedry New Member

Is there a description anywhere of what each of these apps are? How did you come up with the list, trial and error?

I need to add back the 3g Hotspot, do you know which one it is?

18. hendricksfan01

hendricksfan01 New Member

worked as diirected. thank you
  19. avilaenterprises

avilaenterprises New Member

please help w advice

hi i replaced the front glass on my droid 2 a955. its in and went together pretty good. i just cant get it to power back on. i swaped the camera and power buttons around just to be sure they werent in the wrong place. they are fine. i plug the phone in and the moto m symbol shows up but that is it. i cant get it to power on now... what do i need to do? ive spent hours searchin online for awnsewrs
  20. Steffylicious

Steffylicious New Member

I ran this script ages ago, and it was pretty awesome.

However, the other day I tried to re-add the bloat in order to get my phone ready to update to Gingerbread.
    Apparently I'm missing the file "com.vzw.hss.myverizon-2.apk". It's completely disappeared, and there's no backup of it either.

Would this prevent me from being able to update to Gingerbread? Because my phone keeps insisting that I'm up to date.
Search tags for this page
android some bloat removed script
d2g bloatware
d2g we bloatware
droid 2 bloatware removal script

droid 2 global bloatware

droid 2 global bloatware list

droid 2 global bloatware removal

how to remove bloat ware on droid 2 global

remove bloatware droid 2 global

remove droid 2 global bloatware
remove verizon bloatware droid 2 global