Droid 2 Global Battery Life

speltrong

Reaction score
@zero7404 - dig back through earlier posts in this thread - I get ~40hrs on a charge using the stock battery on my D2G with the stock ROM, rooted. I've fully documented how I did it.

i see some of your posts ... sounds like many of us here in this thread, tailoring usage to better improve batt life. for me, my lifestyle i won't tie myself to a strict routine of specific do's & dont's because that takes the flavor out of using this phone for all it's worth. i've froze apps i know i'll never use, the rest i have to experiment with so i can figure out what else i can freeze over time. but i guess it depends on individual use of the hardware. some work their phones harder than others and it's going to be a tough sell to ask someone with a droid to stop using push email to improve batt life or stop running facebook, etc. because this is a mobile social media device and most use it for that more than as a phone ....

Very true, but battery tech as it stands lags really hard behind the rest of the innovation that's happening with phones for a number of reasons. You're not going to find a phone today that has capabilities like this that can be used heavily for a long period of time on a battery as small as the one that comes in the D2G. Apple kindasorta gets around this by limiting what you can do with the phone (even so, I never saw more than 12 hours out of my iPhone3G's battery). Android leaves it up to you as to how you want to manage it. If you really want to use the hell out of it for hours on end with a ton of widgets, streaming video and push on all the time, you're either going to need a bandolier of extra batteries or plan your day based on where you have access to AC outlets.

My phone is actually a corporate phone, so I do need push email when I'm out. I had it on all day yesterday and it only knocked off about 6 hours off my battery (bringing it down to ~24). My strategy - until there's some huge technological breakthrough - is to fully maximize the battery life at the expense of convenience (but not at the expense of basic functionality), and the turn things on as I need them and weigh how much they're worth to me vs how much power they consume. So far it's working well and I don't feel anxious about constantly monitoring my battery level. It's all about cost/benefit.

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
Before I put fission on mine I turned all of my email accounts, facebook, and other updateables to off. When I press the update button, usually before I got to break, lunch, get off work, I have all the info within a minute or two. This alone allowed me to eek out another 20% of battery life between 5am and 10pm. Also, I learned to set weather updates to 6 hours and, if I needed a current update, simply force an update.

With these you should be able to better your battery life with minimal loss in functionality.

By the name of Zero

BigJermZ

Reaction score
Well I tried everything exchanged the battery and all and my bottom line is......
My battery will loose 10% every hour with or without usage.

Does anyone else loose 10% every hour either standby or active?

Sent from my STOCK DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Sorry I have not been around, was just a bit busier than usual. There might be a problem with the ROM reading the wrong battery level too. I had thought a couple of weeks ago too. I placed a battery I had in D2G that was about 20% into D2 to charge and it read 40% when I first placed in the D2. I thought that it was weird and just tossed it up to how the battery driver displays in 20% increments. It happened again and wanted to look into it, but was a bit busy and then someone messaged me about it. What have you guys found out, anything?

I am rebuilding fission using latest OTA as a partial base and then redoing the framework to bring over the changes from the D2 and DX ROM so if anything as found that I may have overlooked please let me know.

I have terrible battery life with OEM ROM or Fission. With Fission it is just a bit better but not nearly as good as the D2 battery life even when I underclock the D2G. I want to look into and try to improve it cause I want the D2G as my daily phone but can not take the battery life...

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well I tried everything exchanged the battery and all and my bottom line is......

Stock ROM or Fission?

ExodusC

Reaction score

That's almost the exact same behavior my D2G exhibits... Odd...

Hi Guys,
Sorry I have not been around, was just a bit busier than usual. There might be a problem with the ROM reading the wrong battery level too. I had thought a couple of weeks ago too. I placed a battery I had in D2G that was about 20% into D2 to charge and it read 40% when I first placed in the D2. I thought that it was weird and just tossed it up to how the battery driver displays in 20% increments. It happened again and wanted to look into it, but was a bit busy and then someone messaged me about it. What have you guys found out, anything?

I am rebuilding fission using latest OTA as a partial base and then redoing the framework to bring over the changes from the D2 and DX ROM so if anything as found that I may have overlooked please let me know.

I have terrible battery life with OEM ROM or Fission. With Fission it is just a bit better but not nearly as good as the D2 battery life even when I underclock the D2G. I want to look into and try to improve it cause I want the D2G as my daily phone but can not take the battery life...

I essentially found the same thing. The original Motorola Droid (or the Droid 2 Global when powered down) reads almost twice the amount of battery that Fission does. That's why I assume there is a bug in Fission.

I've also noticed something else. In many people's photos, many of the Android system services consume virtually no battery. A few percentage points, maybe. My Android services will almost always be sucking up 25% of the battery, even with almost nothing enabled. Anyone else getting that?

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.

speltrong

Reaction score
I've also noticed something else. In many people's photos, many of the Android system services consume virtually no battery. A few percentage points, maybe. My Android services will almost always be sucking up 25% of the battery, even with almost nothing enabled. Anyone else getting that?

Android System was almost at nothing last the last two cycles, Phone Idle, Cell Standby, Voice Calls and Display being the primary battery eaters (which seems ok to me). This last cycle brings Android up to 8% with Push on the whole time, and 4 minutes of GPS Navigation.

I'm currently at 30% battery, 26.5 hours since unplugged. Here are my stats so far:

CPU Total: 8m 34s
CPU Foreground: 14s
Data Sent: 187.84KB
Data Received: 668.78KB

Included Packages:
Settings
Compass Calibrator
AtCommandService
Settings Storage
PGM System
Google Backup Transport
Settings Storage
Account and Sync Settings
FOTA
Data Manager
Upgrader
Setup Controller
InPocket
LocationProxyDmPlugin
My accounts
Network Location
Android System
Certificate Manager Content Provider
VPN Services
Master Clear Error Reporter

Hope this helps.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Hi Guys,

I essentially found the same thing. The original Motorola Droid (or the Droid 2 Global when powered down) reads almost twice the amount of battery that Fission does. That's why I assume there is a bug in Fission.

The original Droid also had half the power of the D2G and it is running the same battery. Not sure how moto reads the battery. Does it take into account the amount of power the phone uses and calculates the remaining percentage from that?

Just SBFed D2G, battery reads 100% in D2 and 70% in D2G. Android System 23% with phone being unplugged for 7 minutes...battery that reads 50% in D2 is reading 30% in D2G with OEM ROM.

Screen grab on left is d2 and on right is d2g just SBFed. Same battery, minutes apart. Reads 70% in D2G with OEM ROM and 100% on D2 with Fission ROM. So I guess that leaves out Fission reading the battery wrong. I am not just saying that cause fission is my baby :) I would love to get better battery life out of the D2G so I can use it every day.

bat.png

Last edited:

ExodusC

Reaction score

Hi Guys,

The original Droid also had half the power of the D2G and it is running the same battery. Not sure how moto reads the battery. Does it take into account the amount of power the phone uses and calculates the remaining percentage from that?

Just SBFed D2G, battery reads 100% in D2 and 70% in D2G. Android System 23% with phone being unplugged for 7 minutes...battery that reads 50% in D2 is reading 30% in D2G with OEM ROM.

Screen grab on left is d2 and on right is d2g just SBFed. Same battery, minutes apart. Reads 70% in D2G with OEM ROM and 100% on D2 with Fission ROM. So I guess that leaves out Fission reading the battery wrong. I am not just saying that cause fission is my baby :) I would love to get better battery life out of the D2G so I can use it every day.

bat.png

I'm glad it's clarified then; but why is it many people get way over 24 hours, and we can't under any circumstances?...

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

I'm glad it's clarified then; but why is it many people get way over 24 hours, and we can't under any circumstances?...

Maybe we use our phones more than they do :) Music seems to be a killer for me. I am so not happy with battery life, with OEM or Fission ROM...I do not think there is much we can do since the CPU and GPU seem to be using more power even if we underclock CPU. We need the ability to undervolt too.

shaddix

Reaction score
greetings! sucks about the battery. I have extended batt on the way. I got 5 hours of pandora out of mine today on standard battery so I guess that's pretty good?

BigJermZ

Reaction score
I'm using stock.

I was going to change out the phone but I really don't see that as a solution since we prob do use our phones for more than those people who claim 24+ hrs, at least these phones charge up quick, but I want to know how much longer does the BP7X battery last?

I get to 30% in 6hrs using stock with or without widgets.

speltrong

Reaction score
I'm admittedly a _very_ light phone user most days (heavy computer user instead :)). That's why I was so horrified at seeing 8 hours of standby right out of the box on my D2G. Try stripping out all your widgets and going a day or two without using it much. Maybe you've narrowed it down to where it's just your usage pattern.

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score
I have an extended battery and use juice defender and I got about 24 hrs with moderate use. I made about two hours of phone calls, an hour of which was with blue tooth, and used the internet for about a half hour with another half hour of games that I downloaded. I still had about 90% after letting it sit on standby for about 6 hours. With the extended battery and juice defender I feel that I get a little better life than I did with a regular battery on my Droid 1.

zero7404

Reaction score
the percentage discrepancy between the d2 and d2g is something that should be input as a bug on google code ... hopping over there right now ...

edit:

go here to report bugs/enhancements/defects to google:

http://code.google.com/p/android/updates/list#

must log in to be able to enter an item.

Last edited: