Droid 2 freaks out--scares parents into calling police.

illinijonesey

Reaction score
dancedroid

Hello DroidForums

I had a very strange incident with my Droid 2 this past weekend---looking to see if anyone knows what exactly happened. I was back in my hometown staying at my parents house for Thanksgiving break. On Saturday I went out with my high school buddies to a number of local "watering holes" including one with a house special of Pineapple Tequila. Thankfully after emptying out my wallet on several rounds of the aforementioned beverage, my friend's husband who was on designated driver duty drove me home as I planned to sleep in to fight off the inevitable hangover that would be arriving shortly. While details are a bit fuzzy, I distinctly remember coming home around 2:30, plugging my phone in, and going to sleep. That's when things got interesting.

I was woken up abruptly at around 4:00 AM by my terrified father. As you can imagine, no one likes to woken up suddenly by an anxious screaming parent at 4:00 AM after drinking pineapple tequila all night. Apparently my phone had alternated calling the house line and my dad's cell phone while I was asleep, over and over again. And he was convinced I was locked in a bad guy's trunk, trying to get help before I got murdered in a forest someplace. Thankfully he double checked to see if I was in the basement before he ran out of the house with a flashlight and a shotgun.

I'm almost positive that I had nothing to do with this, but I suppose there is always the option of "sleep-calling" and "sleep-texting." Any thoughts about that too would be appreciated.

But....it was more than just calling my house. I checked the phone records and in addition to calling my dads cell phone, and my phone, it also dialed the first 3 A's listed in my phone. (Two of which are connected to Facebook contacts who I haven't spoken to in years---still haven't figured out how to disable that sync feature). It also called the #PMT, #BAL, #Warranty Center and #MIN a bunch of times...about 50 calls total from that night that I didn't make. Strangely many of them occurred at the same time, but lasted for up to 5 minutes each. I'm not sure I understand how a phone can make more than one phone call at once, let alone phone calls that last several minutes. I also don't understand how it picked out, over the hundred or so numbers in my phone, my dad's cell phone and my house phone to call randomly. When it was all said and done, my parents, and the local police department (dispatched to look for my body) weren't too happy about the whole incident. I also believe during this whole ordeal that my country called Chad. The country---not your friend Chad.

It called this number 011235693425134778 several times, and it looks like that could be a number in Chad. (I looked it up and it has the same country code prefixes)

Even further it sent a few text messages to Verizon, all in some form of the gibberish below:

lt hkre.te:).hj r, tlte.tr.f:. etc

The bizarre thing---was that when I was woken up and checked out my phone, it had the "assisted dialing" mode turned on, and the vibrate feature was disabled from silent mode. Two things that I'm under the impression can't be changed unless I manually go into the settings menu.

Again---I don't think I'm crazy and doing this in my sleep, but does anyone know what the hell happened? My first though is that my phone was hacked by some guy in Chad, and I probably should call Verizon ASAP to warn them and probably find an attorney, change the lock on my house, and start sobbing uncontrollably.

Then again maybe it's a bug? Has anyone's phone ever gone total ape**** like this?

OP
I

illinijonesey

Reaction score
Nope---everything is stock, I haven't rooted my phone either.

DropC

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow. I have no clue. Maybe a bad Angry Birds installation?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hmm that's odd. I have heard about this several times and I it boiled down to someone using like a blackberry charger or something.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

devinhfox

Reaction score
1. Is this a joke, if so it made me laugh.
2. Are you using stock or custom rom?
3. Lay off the booze, son

Sub~Zero

Reaction score
I wuld hav freaked out...especially after watching "Paranormal Activity" lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

anuraj1

Reaction score
This happened a lot when the Droid 1 first came out because people were using chargers that didn't come with the device. Another possibility is that the outlet you had it plugged into was faulty. I believe it came down to the wrong voltage being delivered. Use the search function to look for threads about phones being possessed.

EDIT: I love that one of the tags on this thread is "tequila" haha

Droids

Reaction score
Get any Pineapple Tequila smeared on the screen?

Like others stated, probably bad line voltage or charger. The Moto phones are sensitive to this.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmm that's odd. I have heard about this several times and I it boiled down to someone using like a blackberry charger or something.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Usually, it happens with low-quality non-OEM chargers. Or chargers that put out the wrong amount of power. But it is possible for a faulty OEM charger to cause issues like this, as well. All it needs to have is an issue where it is electrically "leaky". I've even had my D1's screen wig out from plugging it into a USB port that apparently wasn't grounded well.

If possible, the OP should try a known good charger and see if the issue goes away. It's an issue that creeps up from time to time when dealing with capacitive touch displays.

lloyd2398

Reaction score
I bet that there was a little bit of liquid inside the phone that prob. happened when you were at one of the watering holes and that being said the phone was acting out. I have had this happen to me after my daughter had been sucking on my phone and the liquid would make my phone do crazy stuff, call people, unlock phone, text, get into the settings, etc. so more then likely it was caused from that. Once the phone dries out it is all good to go. Im assure that it is what happened to you, its crazy to watch it happen when it happens. During the time its going on it also makes it difficult for you to stop it from happening as its like the moisture is under the screen so its constly doing its own stuff.

Hope this helps put your mind at ease.