Droid 2 failed at BP Pass Through Mode

budweiser29

Reaction score
I am having no luck getting this Droid 2 back up and running. I started with the black screen:

Bootloader
D2.37

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB

(at first Battery was Low, but I have fully charged it now with external charger)

I have downloaded RSDLite 4.8 (and 4.9?), VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf and I believe the proper Moto drivers...(MotoHelper_2.0.40_Driver_4.9.0).
I am on Windows 7, but have also tried on XP, and even the Linux boot from this image, 1KDStaz0.9.

RSDLite recognizes the phone (properly, I don't know), and will get all the way to the BP pass through mode and fail. I am at a loss as to what to try next. I have been all over multiple forums and have tried everything I believe to be applicable to my situation, but no luck.

*this phone belongs to a friend, I know nothing about droids...I used to be big into the Samsung Omnia flashing community, and have even cooked some of my own roms...I just don't know where to start with this one, other than what I have already tried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
B

budweiser29

Reaction score
I tried the Droid 2 (2.3.20) System only SBF File, and RSDLite showed that it passed this time. However, it rebooted back to the black bootloader screen. I then booted into recovery and did the wipe cache. still nothing. I get the following error:

e:can't open /cache/recovery/command

Maybe my sd card is not properly structured or formatted? It contains the following folders:
.android_secure
.blockbuster
Android
dcim
download
kindle
logs
LOST.dir

Jsharp67

Reaction score
OK. I had EXACTLY the same problem. I tried to SBF to put CM7 on my phone. I was on a 5 day trip and tried this on day 2. Oops. All I had was my Windows 7 laptop. I did all the things you did and got the same problems and errors as you did. Could not flash SBF. When I got home I got out my older XP laptop and installed RSD Lite version 5.3.1 and Motohelper 2.0.49 with 5.0.0 drivers. I reflashed the 2.37 bootloader sbf available from this link. sbf:droid2 [And Developers]. I then rebooted the phone and flashed the 2.3.20 SBF. I expected the same result of a fail at RAM bootloader, but....went flawlessly! For the record. I extraced both SBF files into the computer's hard drive root. C:/ I also renamed the big SBF file to a shorter name (SBF.sbf) don't know if that mattered or not. The Droid 2 is back! I am certain the culprit was Windows 7. Good luck and I hope you can get your phone back up.

Last edited:

bigwebb83

Reaction score
OK. I had EXACTLY the same problem. I tried to SBF to put CM7 on my phone. I was on a 5 day trip and tried this on day 2. Oops. All I had was my Windows 7 laptop. I did all the things you did and got the same problems and errors as you did. Could not flash SBF. When I got home I got out my older XP laptop and installed RSD Lite version 5.3.1 and Motohelper 2.0.49 with 5.0.0 drivers. I reflashed the 2.37 bootloader sbf available from this link. sbf:droid2 [And Developers]. I then rebooted the phone and flashed the 2.3.20 SBF. I expected the same result of a fail at RAM bootloader, but....went flawlessly! For the record. I extraced both SBF files into the computer's hard drive root. C:/ I also renamed the big SBF file to a shorter name (SBF.sbf) don't know if that mattered or not. The Droid 2 is back! I am certain the culprit was Windows 7. Good luck and I hope you can get your phone back up.

the link you gave for the bootloader is not working. can you provide a working link? I'm desperate.

Jsharp67

Reaction score
Hey Bigwebb, yeah that link to the bootloader sbfs looks like it is no good. I get to the site, but when I click the Moto link I get the 404 not found. It worked a month ago but looks like things have changed, as they do. I have the bootloader sbf if you want it. It's a small file and I believe I could email it to you. If you PM me I'll give you my email and I'll send it to you. This will only help you fix the bootloader if you're getting the "Data corrupt" message. After you fix that with the bootloader SBF, you will still be stuck in the bootloader. You can then flash the Full Droid2 2.3.20 SBF file available here, http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/d...le-threat.html . I'm not sure you need to worry about the bootloader though. Are you using a Windows 7 computer to do this? If so, just beg, borrow or steal a Windows XP computer and try flashing the Droid2 2.3.20 Full SBF despite the "Data corrupt" message and see if it works. I have flashed this file 3 or 4 times now with no problems on Windows XP. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey Bigwebb, yeah that link to the bootloader sbfs looks like it is no good. I get to the site, but when I click the Moto link I get the 404 not found. It worked a month ago but looks like things have changed, as they do. I have the bootloader sbf if you want it. It's a small file and I believe I could email it to you. If you PM me I'll give you my email and I'll send it to you. This will only help you fix the bootloader if you're getting the "Data corrupt" message. After you fix that with the bootloader SBF, you will still be stuck in the bootloader. You can then flash the Full Droid2 2.3.20 SBF file available here, http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/d...le-threat.html . I'm not sure you need to worry about the bootloader though. Are you using a Windows 7 computer to do this? If so, just beg, borrow or steal a Windows XP computer and try flashing the Droid2 2.3.20 Full SBF despite the "Data corrupt" message and see if it works. I have flashed this file 3 or 4 times now with no problems on Windows XP. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

You don't need the bootloader SBF as it's included in the 2.3.20 SBF. I SBF all the time on a Windows 7 machine.

That said, if you have the bootloader SBF, attach it because it can't be found anywhere.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jsharp67

Reaction score
Maybe it was just my computer. A little Windows 7 netbook thing I travel with. However, it would not work, no matter what I tried. The bigger XP laptop worked with no problem. I would attach the file, but not sure how to do this on a message board post. The internet link is dead.

Snow02

Reaction score
Maybe it was just my computer. A little Windows 7 netbook thing I travel with. However, it would not work, no matter what I tried. The bigger XP laptop worked with no problem. I would attach the file, but not sure how to do this on a message board post. The internet link is dead.

Yep. Slower computers will struggle with this. I forgot I left my laptop on power saver mode one time and that caused it to fail because it didn't let the processor scale up.

Jsharp67

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried running it on high performance, but I guess the processor didn't have too far to go to scale up. The irony is that the Droid 2 is probably more powerful than that netbook. It's really just for looking at the internet and not much else. Sure is light in my bag though! Bigwebb may have other problems.