Droid 2 dropped in water - used rice - put battery back in after - now sizzling noise

stephd72

Reaction score
You're not SOL unless you put the battery in too soon and power it up and end up frying the chip.

3 days is the recommended length for keeping the battery in one bag of rice and the phone in a separate bag of rice. Do not put both in the same bag. Make sure they are completely covered with rice. Giving the bags a little shake here and there every so often helps too.

I've helped out countless friends who have had this issue. Worse was a co-worker who dropped his Droid Incredible in a puddle of dirty cold water at work (natural gas company) and it was in the water for 8 hours. Another co-worker found it and gave it to me and I automatically knew who it belonged to. Gave it back to my co-worker and told him exactly what to do. Instead of 3 days I told him to leave it in there for 5 to 7 days just in case.

He still has the same Droid Incredible and it's working just like it never was in the puddle of dirty cold water.
:eek:Oh I've been crying all morn over a scenario just like this! I dropped it in a mud puddle last night where it stayed for about 2 hours. It was freezing temps out. It had a rubber case and screen protecter on it and was stil on when I found it. I was able to use the touch screen but the buttons were overly huge on screen. I pulled out the battery and shook it out and then sadly put it back in and it wouldnt turn back on. I took it out again and have had it in rice for about ten hours. The water damage indicator on the inside is still white with red x but the one on the battery itself is all red. Is there any hope?? I've only had it for less than a month and don't have insurance on it.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
You're not SOL unless you put the battery in too soon and power it up and end up frying the chip.

3 days is the recommended length for keeping the battery in one bag of rice and the phone in a separate bag of rice. Do not put both in the same bag. Make sure they are completely covered with rice. Giving the bags a little shake here and there every so often helps too.

I've helped out countless friends who have had this issue. Worse was a co-worker who dropped his Droid Incredible in a puddle of dirty cold water at work (natural gas company) and it was in the water for 8 hours. Another co-worker found it and gave it to me and I automatically knew who it belonged to. Gave it back to my co-worker and told him exactly what to do. Instead of 3 days I told him to leave it in there for 5 to 7 days just in case.

He still has the same Droid Incredible and it's working just like it never was in the puddle of dirty cold water.
:eek:Oh I've been crying all morn over a scenario just like this! I dropped it in a mud puddle last night where it stayed for about 2 hours. It was freezing temps out. It had a rubber case and screen protecter on it and was stil on when I found it. I was able to use the touch screen but the buttons were overly huge on screen. I pulled out the battery and shook it out and then sadly put it back in and it wouldnt turn back on. I took it out again and have had it in rice for about ten hours. The water damage indicator on the inside is still white with red x but the one on the battery itself is all red. Is there any hope?? I've only had it for less than a month and don't have insurance on it.

Well your first mistake was putting the battery in too soon. When it's in the water for long periods of time it is imperative that you take the battery out and not put it back in for a few days. I was just reading up on a link provided here and you said it got dropped in a mud puddle? Using distill water to clean it out and then using a towel to wipe off any excess water then putting it in seperate bags covered in rice and often shaking the bag for a few days would have fixed your problem possibly.

Edit: Distilled water would help get rid of any dirt that came from the mud puddle or anything else that may have been in that dirty water so it doesn't effect the board, circuits, keyboard, screen, and battery.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you're going to clean your phone out, clean it with isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol will clean AND displace the water, AND it evaporates much quicker at room temperature than water.

Natey2

Reaction score
If you're going to clean your phone out, clean it with isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol will clean AND displace the water, AND it evaporates much quicker at room temperature than water.

2 kinds of isopropyl alcohol are available: 70% and 99%.
I trust we should only use the 99% with electronics?
The 70% is used in healthcare.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would also think that 99% would be best for electronics as it has a faster evaporation rate i would imagine

Reaction score

2 kinds of isopropyl alcohol are available: 70% and 99%.
I trust we should only use the 99% with electronics?
The 70% is used in healthcare.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I thought it was 70% and 90%, but regardless, yes, use the highest percentage you can find. The other 30 or 10% is water, so the less water you're putting in, the better.

Inverse

Reaction score
Why is everyone so impatient to turn it on after getting water damage? I mean, you're risking the phone being busted forever... so with that kind of time frame to consider, what's a week?

Canadroid

Reaction score
Y

That is awesome !

If this ever happens to me I'm throwing some desiccant in with the rice too! :D

Appleanche

Reaction score
Why is everyone so impatient to turn it on after getting water damage? I mean, you're risking the phone being busted forever... so with that kind of time frame to consider, what's a week?

Obvious reasons, their mind starts racing, they look over at their desk at the phone and eventually the temptation gets to them. It's sort of like leaving a christmas gift on your desk, sooner or later the temptation to open it is going to get you.. except in this case it's not so joyous.

You're probably better off calling Verizon to see if they'll help you, I've read they sometimes offer you the 1 year contract price for a replacement, which still sucks ($270 or so?).

Here is a clear place Apple beats out Android and Verizon, the service is so much easier to deal with. You drop an iPhone and have damage, you replace it for $200. Any model, any time. With Verizon you have to play the customer service roulette wheel and hope you land on one who gives a damn and is in a good mood.

Last edited:

kingsway8605

Reaction score
If the phone was on while in water the phone is dead. Rice only helps if the phone was off and you want to dry it out quicker. If current was running through the phone, the water made current go where it wasn't supposed to and no miracle product can fix components damaged as a result.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk