DROID 2 - Dream Phone

annian

Reaction score
Hi All, i've been using Milestone about a week. It'a a great phone so far. Still i would like to see DROID2/MILESTONE2 with more interesting features. I just made fewer adjustment on it's appearance, especially with the keyboard and display.
My dream DROID2 specs goes as,

:greendroid: Andriod 3.0 (best exchange sync support)
Display: 4" Capacitive & OLED, 854x480 (if can 960x540)
Secondary video chat/call camera
New Gen Trackpad (like one in new BB phones)
IR Port
Cortex A9 Multi-core processor / nVidia Tegra / Snapdragon 1Ghz or better
1500mA Battery or better

Note: I know, the sample DROID2 design (the attachement) is not completed or poorly designed, because I just used MS Paint and i'm not good at design.

feel free to comment :)

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I'd add a physical talk/end button. And remove the D-Pad, replace it with a much smaller track-ball device, thereby leaving you room to expand the keys on the physical keyboard.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i'd personally get rid of the d-pad all together. I don't use the d-pad at all. I have a feeling the Droid2 will look quite different from the Droid/Milestone. Probably wouldn't even have a physical keyboard by then.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Probably wouldn't even have a physical keyboard by then.

And that would be an awful thing... I've gotta have a physical keyboard -- I just can't type on a virtual one...

agreed. but the way i see the mobile industry going i think the physical keyboard will be a thing of the past. I use both the on-screen and physical keyboard, but late i've been using the physical keyboard more, since I can actually read the other things while typing in a response or search. the feel of a physical keyboard will never be replaced by touchscreen keyboards.

However, if it does come with a physical keyboard, i hope it is bigger. The keyboard is alright and im finally used to it, but it's a bit of a stretch with the D-pad in the way.

romeov

Reaction score
I too, would not be interested without a physical keyboard. It was one of the main reasons I got a droid, even if it's not so great.

OP
A

annian

Reaction score
personally, i'm not fall for full touch phone and onscreen-keyboard would take half of your content. Having a physical keyboard would let you have a massive big screen.

Is anyone find that D-Pad useful? I haven't used it for any good purpose yet.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Is anyone find that D-Pad useful? I haven't used it for any good purpose yet.

Selecting text to copy/paste (in concert with the Shift key). And moving around within a text-input box to make corrections. But that's the only use I'm getting out of it. A track-ball would suffice, I would think...

LordKastle

Reaction score
No offense but why say a snapdragon 1GHz processor? By the time a Droid V2 is released that will be an old technology.

Realistic

Reaction score
I would want the next droid phone to support as many formats of music and video as the archos 5 internet tablet with android

I would like a removable internal micro sd like now plus another that would be on the edge of the device easy to remove

front facing camera and another mic on the back (basically to be able to choose to record either front or rear cam with their own mics. And while im on it a bigger sensor for the camera(s) for better low light (probably a stretch)

4 inch screen ( size doesn't bother me)

physical keyboard with no stand alone d pad, have a keyboard more like those htc phones

more bluetooth support (software issue i hope) this freaking phone should be able to pair with anything comon!

of course the most advanced chipset out there, maybe something nvidia cooks up with a next gen tegra.

hopefully this will be an LTE phone by then with amazing speeds.

LordKastle

Reaction score
D-Pad is needed. Except make it an 8-way for gaming or other purposes where diagonals could be beneficial. Also, disagree with the HTC remark. Every HTC keyboard I see is blocky and looks like it belongs on a child's toy. Keep the keyboard similar to that on the Droid [sleek and stealth] or maybe by that point a virtual infrared keyboard can be projected on to an area in front of you or or the phone. [I do not mean a virtual keyboard on the screen]

TheBobarazzi

Reaction score
People complain that the d-pad area makes them have to stretch to far, with the right thumb...i personally think the right side spacing, is perfect, where the left side is more of a stretch (in the oppsite direction) thus causing my left thumb muscles to ache more, when trying to type the left most keys.
Try it yourself and observe: Hold the Droid as if you were going to type on the physical keyboard. Now, place your thumbs on the home keys and type: p, Del, ?... etc... now on the left, reach in for the, w, a, s, z, etc... if your grip is like mine, you may find that the "reaching in" causes more strain, whereas the right thumb is perfectly placed/
If anything, I'd like a little "lip, or chin" on the left side as well.

I think the hardware keyboard it great... I went to Best Buy and played with all the sliding keyboard phones and thought they ALL felt like cheap, pieces of plastic crap...IMO.