Droid 2 discontinuted?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
BGR says it's a rumor, not fact. I'll believe that when the advertising stops like it did with the original Droid.

Dragoro

Reaction score
The droid 2 and droid world are the same phone, the world just has the capability to run gsm as well as cdma. At least thats what Ive read. So unless your planning on going to europe, theres no reason to wait for the droid world phone.

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
If this is true, it would make sense. VZW seldom offers both a CDMA-only AND a "World Phone" edition of the same device. For instance, when the BlackBerry 9630 was available, it was only available in the "World Phone" version. Same with the Storm series. If the costs in offering the dual-capable version are neglible, it wouldn't make sense to offer them both if all other specs were equal to the Droid 2.

Jeebz88

Reaction score
The big question for me is whether the Droid World will have the same basic software that the Droid 2 has. If not, there won't be many people out there working on ROMs for the D2.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even if true, I don't see what the problem would be. I had a Storm, it had the SIM card to use GSM if I went to Europe. I never used it because in my 50 years on this earth I've never been there and have no plans any time soon. If you get a Droid 2 and it has the SIM, big deal, you don't need to activate it unless you're going overseas.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Being an early adopter is becoming more and more hazardous.

Sent from my Droid

Redneck Trash

Reaction score
Let's not freak out over nothing here. If you walk into a Verizon Wireless store on day and all the have is the D2 world phone it won't matter. A c-note says the D2 will still be available on Verizon's website. The website already has "discontinued" and "end of life" devices on it.

All BGR has done lately is provide rumors that people freak out over for no reason.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

everstar80

Reaction score
I agree with Dragoro. This is most likely a rumor because it has never been advertised as a world phone. The world version is for people that travel alot.

everstar80

Reaction score
As a sidenote though, if this was true I will be furious especially since I paid full retail. Verizon should update people with the original droid 2 with the same processing and update capabilities as the world edition. Hopefully they will offer both, if not they are really gonna piss off customers and turn current and possible customers away.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm with CK...

I just hope this trend of early adopters getting burned stops with Android devices.

papelet

Reaction score
well, i like the way my D2 looks...
if i get burned this fast i'll try rooting and if it doesnt work for me i'll cancel my contract and mr Verizon is gonna lose a customer for life...
my second option is go to AT&T and get the torch or iphone...
they can't be messing around with people like that