Droid 2 disconnects from wifi

MastarChew

Reaction score
[SOLVED] Droid 2 disconnects from wifi

SOLUTION:
Thank you everyone who tried to help me out, i appreciate it!
I had to change my router to wireless G only.
works fine now.

PROBLEM:
First of all, I'm pretty new to the smart phone and forum scene.
This problem has been driving me insane and I figured this would be the place to get some help.
When I first got my droid this all worked fine, as of about a month ago I've been having this problem.
My Droid 2 will connect to my wireless router and obtain an IP address no problem.
When i go to access the web however, I will get disconnected.
This does not happen every time, but a large majority of the time.

Here is my router info/setup:
Linksys E2100L wireless router
Network Mode: Mixed
Channel Width: Auto
Channel: 1 - 2.412GHZ (no one in my area is on channel 1)
SSID Broadcast: Disabled
Security Mode: WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode
Wireless MAC Filter: Enabled (my phone's MAC address is on the permitted list)
AP Isolation: Disabled
Basic Rate: All
N Transmission Rate: Auto
CTS Protection Mode: Auto
Beacon Interval: 100
DTIM Interval: 1
Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
RTS Threshold: 2347

If you guys would like more info just let me know.
Any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had 3 wifi capable phones. A Blackberry Storm, a D1 and a D2.

All 3 had problems with the Linksys Wireless N router I had. Specially if I was a bit of a distance from it or if I sat in my chair. Now I have a Belkin router. I still see an occasional issue but not as much as I did with the Linksys router.

But your's is a wireless E and I believe that would make a difference. I almost bought one of those, changed my mind.

Sorry if this isn't much help. Could be the router.

Does it work fine when you're right next to it?

OP
M

MastarChew

Reaction score

All 3 had problems with the Linksys Wireless N router I had. Specially if I was a bit of a distance from it or if I sat in my chair. Now I have a Belkin router. I still see an occasional issue but not as much as I did with the Linksys router.

But your's is a wireless E and I believe that would make a difference. I almost bought one of those, changed my mind.

No it does not work when I am right next to it.
I've ran several different WiFi analyzers and I'm getting no interference from any other AP.
The router works fine with my laptop, ps3, 360, wii, ds, and psp.
Also like I said, it's only recently been doing this, which means it did work correctly at one point.

Thank you for your reply

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

No it does not work when I am right next to it.
I've ran several different WiFi analyzers and I'm getting no interference from any other AP.
The router works fine with my laptop, ps3, 360, wii, ds, and psp.
Also like I said, it's only recently been doing this, which means it did work correctly at one point.

Thank you for your reply

Well if all your other wireless devices are working and this won't work when you're right next to it I'd wager that you have an issue with the phone. Hard to say what caused it, I've never heard of an app interfering with wifi. Sounds to me like you ought to get a replacement.

OP
M

MastarChew

Reaction score
I've been messing around with this some more.
I enabled broadcast SSID on the router.
This appears to have at least helped some what.
I can now at least sustain some connection.
When i do a speedtest or any larger download I get disconnected after a few seconds and it then times out.
please someone help me out here...

Nods_Dad

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my Dlink router....I had a setting to enable multicasting....I checked this and never had the issue again. Hope this helps

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
M

MastarChew

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my Dlink router....I had a setting to enable multicasting....I checked this and never had the issue again. Hope this helps

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

The only option I see on my router is "Filter Multicast"
It is currently unchecked.
checking appears to give me some results.
I can do three speedtests in a row before being disconnected.
my problem is however, still not resolved...

Thank you for your reply

Last edited:
OP
M

MastarChew

Reaction score
I have now tested my phone on a friend's wireless router and it appears to work fine, so the problem lies with my router settings.

I'm surprised no one on here can help me... =(

Khiraji

Reaction score
Maybe try resetting your router? Stick a paper clip or a pen in the reset hole in the back, and hold for ~10 seconds.

My D2 seems to love every router it's ever talked to, except the WAPs at my university. From friends' houses to Starbucks to random coffee shops or cafes, everything's great - except the university WAPs. I have to powercycle the Wi-Fi radio to get it to connect, and then it works great on campus. Weird.

If all else fails, try a factory reset on your phone. It's a pain in the ass, but worth it if it fixes the problem.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I had this problem, after changing my router from 2.4 ghz to 5ghz it now works flawlessly. I'm going to say it was probably because of radio interference, idk.... oh and I have a netwear WNR2000v3

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
M

MastarChew

Reaction score
Maybe try resetting your router? Stick a paper clip or a pen in the reset hole in the back, and hold for ~10 seconds.

My D2 seems to love every router it's ever talked to, except the WAPs at my university. From friends' houses to Starbucks to random coffee shops or cafes, everything's great - except the university WAPs. I have to powercycle the Wi-Fi radio to get it to connect, and then it works great on campus. Weird.

If all else fails, try a factory reset on your phone. It's a pain in the ass, but worth it if it fixes the problem.
like i said, my phone appears to work fine on my friends wifi.
I did a factory reset on my router and it has the same problem, so i'm restoring it to it's old settings

thank you for your reply

OP
M

MastarChew

Reaction score
I had this problem, after changing my router from 2.4 ghz to 5ghz it now works flawlessly. I'm going to say it was probably because of radio interference, idk.... oh and I have a netwear WNR2000v3

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
I used an app called wifi analyzer, and like i said, I have no interference at all.

thank you for your reply

rosem119

Reaction score
Sometimes all it takes is the act of changing any setting on your router. I've seen postings where users changed their router security from WPA2 to WPA and then changed it back to WPA2 and it was fine after that.

Sent from my DROID2

sorapp

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same issue. Unitl about 3 weeks ago my Droid 2 always connected to the WiFi with no problem, now suddenly it refuses to stay connected. I see the message that it acquires an IP address and then as soon as I try to use it for anything, such as receiving E-mail, it drops the connection. My laptop connects to the same router and maintains the connection even whille the Droid2 is dropping its conncetion. What's really odd is that this was working flawlessly until about 3 weeks ago. I have not made any changes to my router set up or the Droid2. I find it hard to believe it is my router since I have no issue with the laptop connection. This looks like the same issue I had prior to the new firmware downloaded last summer.

harrykon

Reaction score
Any new updates or suggestions?

I just "upgraded" from WRT-54GS to a E2100L and everything went flawlessly except for my DROID2 connection.:cus:

I have tried WPA, WPA2, and mixed using auto, WPS, and manual setup and I am still getting temporary to no connection even though phone shows "connected" with good signal strength to a seemingly valid "192...." IP.

3G works flawlessly, needless to say. D2 wifi works flawlessly at all open/public locations, e.g. McD, Panera, BWW, Starbucks, Borders, etc. etc...

Any new info/suggestions would really be appreciated!!!