Droid 2 Disassembled

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
hmm thats a possibility, but there might be other factors like the connector might be a little different plus there is some different keys on the keypad like alt lock which probably would need to be programmed in the phone id think, so it would understand it when its being pressed? no idea.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks guys :) Someones gotta do it sometime, so why wait haha, hope these pics help people with whatever info they may get use of.
hey would u be kind enough to give me instructions on how to disemble the DROID 1 please cuz im trying to replace my broken screen =]

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Hey, watch this tutorial, its better than me telling you since you have a visual. Just be more gentle than how the guy does it in the video, especially how he opens the phone from bottom after he removes the screws, avoid starting from bottom and at the bottom area be very careful, if your not you might break off the chip underneath the speaker area, trust me ive done it and had to re-solder my old droid's back on. Good luck.

[video=youtube;dE81IaQHEHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE81IaQHEHc]YouTube - Motorola Droid A855 Take Apart & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com[/video]

sslbaron

Reaction score
That's cool. Thanks for the picks. You have bigger balls than me because I couldn't open up my new phone the first day I bought it. I've had mine for six months now, and I still don't have enough to open it yet! Lol

(thought bubble) Hey, maybe I'll do it, and then this will be my excuse with the wife to have to get the new Droid 2.......;)

Now, the question of the day....Once you put it all back together, does it still work?

Thanks again for all the detailed pics!

Scott

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Lol ya. Yup ofcourse it works, im a pro by now i do this to every phone i ever have, i can take it apart n put it back and i don't harm the phone in any way. As long as your calm and carefull, and have a little knowledge or walkthrough, your set.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's cool. Thanks for the picks. You have bigger balls than me because I couldn't open up my new phone the first day I bought it. I've had mine for six months now, and I still don't have enough to open it yet! Lol

(thought bubble) Hey, maybe I'll do it, and then this will be my excuse with the wife to have to get the new Droid 2.......;)

Now, the question of the day....Once you put it all back together, does it still work?

Thanks again for all the detailed pics!

Scott
Lol, this is coolbut why would you take yours apart? You can already see the inside of it from youtube and such... I wouldnt risk ruining my droid because i know i lack the nice touch for doing things like this.

sslbaron

Reaction score
[/quote]
Lol, this is coolbut why would you take yours apart? You can already see the inside of it from youtube and such... I wouldnt risk ruining my droid because i know i lack the nice touch for doing things like this.[/QUOTE]

Lol, me too. I work on airplanes, but I can be a little rougher on them. I've been told I have "sausage" fingers which tends to suck when working on little things like this.

I had to laugh when I watched this video because, like you said, he's pretty rough taking his Droid apart. Also, I guess he never got any ESD training! :icon_ nono: Lol

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hey, watch this tutorial, its better than me telling you since you have a visual. Just be more gentle than how the guy does it in the video, especially how he opens the phone from bottom after he removes the screws, avoid starting from bottom and at the bottom area be very careful, if your not you might break off the chip underneath the speaker area, trust me ive done it and had to re-solder my old droid's back on. Good luck.

YouTube - Motorola Droid A855 Take Apart & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com
thanks for the help =]...really appreciate it =]

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
[video=youtube;dE81IaQHEHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE81IaQHEHc"]YouTube - Motorola Droid A855 Take Apart & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com[/video][/quote]
thanks for the help =]...really appreciate it =][/QUOTE]

No problem, and yea im kinda sure that droid didnt work right after they put it back together lol, usually these companies who do these stuff for example ifixit, they do many models of phones and the usually dont end up having the first one they take apart working anymore. If you check out ifixit's disassembly on droid 2 which is a complete one (they did it after me ofcourse lol) they took off the shields on the board also, but that board looks like its done (wont work). They melted a lotta places with the soldering iron trying to get the shields off, one place being the charger port. I dont know why they would do a poor job, kinda makes me never wanna have them fix a phone for me lol but yep. It takes time and patiance, if they only used the right iron with right iron head, and did it much slower, they wouldnt have to throw that board away.

Link: Motorola DROID 2 gets disassembled for your viewing pleasure (Phone Arena News)

raydm

Reaction score
just a minssing ship

what ever it is it dones the chrones

dominus

Reaction score
this is amazing dude i feel bad i didnt wait for the new one and now im kinda stuck haha

any chance on a build thread for a droid 1.5 hybrid hahahaha i would love to ebay parts such as keyboards and whatnot and be able to (with your guys help) build me such a product

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
lol it might be a possibility, who knows im sure someone will try it :)

Jon Twork

Reaction score
External Antenna Port????

I am considering purchasing the Droid 2 and am wondering if the thing has an external antenna port.
I am a full time RVer and spend a lot of time in the southwest away from most of civilization and of course, cell towers.
Currently, my Verizon signal comes in via a 5' Yagi antenna mounted on a rotor which is attached to a articulated 25' mast and travels to a Digital Antenna 3 watt amplifier plugged in to an Alltel Huawei USB datacard plugged into a Cradlepoint 500 router, where the router is plugged into an external rooftop wifi antenna on top of my cargo trailer for my computer data service. Works pretty good everywhere. But, if I want to use the system with the Droid 2, it needs to have an antenna port.
Does it?