Droid 2 Charging Issues

Reaction score
I have noticed that most micro USB cable's don't work with my Droid 2.

And when I say most, I'm talking about the 3 micro usb phone chargers that we have from old phones and two spare micro usb cables for bluetooth headsets. All 5 of those cables, do not work, despite being for three different phones, and different bluetooth headsets.

I didn't like the fact that my phone's charging cable that verizon gave me was only 3 ft long, it's too short. I was forced to spend 15 dollars at walmart for a charger that was designed for the original Droid, and it works perfectly fine.

I liked the fact that my phone charged through a micro USB slot, because i assumed that meant i could use practically any micro USB cable to charge my phone, which would be very convenient in case i was over a friends house and needed to charge my phone.

I'm just wondering why is it that most micro USB cables will not work for the Droid 2?

Is this something that Motorola did to the Droid to force you to buy an "official" charger? Or is this an issue with the micro usb cables themselves?

dast

Reaction score
When you attempt to use one of your chargers from another phone, what behavior do you see? I've definitely had problems with chargers that work fine with every phone I have except the D2.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Known issue with most of the Droid phones.

I did find a long cable (15ft) from monoprice.com that works well. Here's the info: USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 15ft. Their part number appears to be 5460. Search for that on Monoprice.

sziehr

Reaction score
It's not the cable. Check the output rating of the non-Droid2 adapters. It needs to be rated at least as high in output as the OEM charger (850ma). Most USB chargers only put out 500ma. This might need to be stickied, people keep asking about it.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's not the cable. Check the output rating of the non-Droid2 adapters. It needs to be rated at least as high in output as the OEM charger (850ma). Most USB chargers only put out 500ma. This might need to be stickied, people keep asking about it.

Should have been more clear in my post. When I said, "Known issue with most of the Droid phones". I meant using non-factory chargers and/or cables. Either has been proven to be capable of causing these issues. Non-stock chargers and non-stock cables with a stock chargers has shown to cause this behavior.

However, the cable I referenced above works with my stock Motorola charger and my droid.

Good luck.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We can't sticky everything. This is well known by most Droid 1 people. Common sense I believe should tell you not to use another charger with it.

I personally lack common sense, I use a Blackberry Storms charger. No issues at all.

OP
R
Reaction score

I don't think its listed on the chargers. The chargers were all for dumb phones that other members of my family had.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App