Droid 2 bootloader???

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by Rhino413, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Rhino413

Rhino413 New Member

Has Anyone checked and confirmed if the droid 2 has a locked/encrypted bootloader. if so I think i will be waiting for the verizon galaxy S phone due out next month because stock android 2.2 blows and ninja blur blows more
  2. gpa

gpa New Member

Locked. Just like the X.
  3. Panamakevin

Panamakevin New Member

What does that mean? I keep seeing people saying that the Bootloader is locked, but i still see people rooting the droid2 and X... so how is that different? Is it talking about the booting into the recovery console? Sorry, I don't know if a thread has been started on this, but this seemed a good one to ask on...
  4. bizzshow

bizzshow New Member

With the x&2 you will not be able to flash custom kernels though custom roms will work as long as it doesn't touch the kernel
  5. Panamakevin

Panamakevin New Member

Ohhh, ok, so the locked bootloader just means no over clocking and changing of voltage then?
  6. bizzshow

bizzshow New Member

You may be able to do that with the milestone overclock app if its ever updated for the d2 it only loads modules to the kernel
  7. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

I'm betting on it getting cracked eventually... maybe I'll jump ship at that point, but still having a lot of phun with my droid 1.
  8. bizzshow

bizzshow New Member

the way i see it their is no need to even crack it we can do enough custom roms overclock and hopefully undervolt just will have to wait for leaked or official updates for things like gingerbread
  9. gonnadie4thegov

gonnadie4thegov New Member

without cracking it, it's very unlikely the overclocking will happen. Yes it has a locked bootloader like the milestone but i dont doubt that moto updated it some.

but with the amount of DX's out there and how the D2 is almost identical in software I don't see it taking too long
  10. bizzshow

bizzshow New Member

It already can by loading modules to the stock kernel the module needs to be updated for 2.2 though so overclock is possible custom roms can happen already
  11. Travman

Travman New Member

12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

It's like totally backwards from the D1. D1 you installed SPRecovery, did a backup, then rooted. Now you root first (thus creating a chance to brick your phone) then you install recovery?

I think it's going to be a while before I can be convinced to root. Anyway the D2 stock is just great, IMHO.
  13. Panamakevin

Panamakevin New Member

I agree hook! I just got the D2 and so far its been phenomenal... at first I was quite skeptical with the battery dying so fast and all the changes to the UI but now the battery is running better and the UI has grown on me, i just have to figure out a few final tweaks and I'll be good until a well tested and stable root is created
  14. dast

dast New Member

No kidding. People holding back from the D2 because of the locked bootloader should know that the stock setup is fantastic. I've seen no reason to root except for the ability to make a nandroid backup and maybe to later remove some bloatware. I definitely wont be running any custom ROMs as the default OS is nice. I've noticed no performance problems even with the random stuff Motorola packed in.
  15. karnovaran

karnovaran New Member

You can't brick from attempting to root.
  16. n0yd

n0yd New Member

Stock D2 is great? LMAO:icon_eek:
  17. dast

dast New Member

So far i'm having a good time with a stock D2. There are apps everywhere to fix annoyances and to add features that users of other platforms are used to. What's not to like?
  18. eug

eug New Member

having had a milestone with a locked bootloader, the biggest problem comes when a new OS version comes out. The milestone is still stuck on 2.1 and no real 2.2 community ROM is possible as the bootloader is locked.
  19. Travman

Travman New Member

just do it

why root and change the setup..... because i can. not only did i get rid of all the bloatware that verizon and motorola assumed i wanted. i was able to add some apps that otherwise i couldnt. IE ad blockers for free apps from market, lcd density changer, and the best of all.... i can overclock the processor. i was a little skeptical about the original way to root the phone, but it worked.... if i bricked oh well, throw it in a pond and claim on insurance. i have found a couple things that i will share will yall.

1. there is now a one click root available, easy and fast One Click Root for Motorola Droid 2 is Finally Here! | TheAndroidSoul
    2. if for some reason you do brick, no worries.... found how to fix.
    a) download and install Motorola drivers and RSDLite
    b) go to Rootzwiki.com and download the sbf files for your phone
    c) follow instructions, this takes phone back to stock motorola image
    d) trust me it works, got stuck in boot loop, paniced.... found this
    3. everytime i do something i create a backup just in case, tip DO NOT RENAME BACKUPS it will give you a md5 checksum error during restore if you do
    4. i used SUFBS to remove the bloat, actually just renamed apps from default .apk format to .bak, so technically they still there just dont run or show in app tray
    5. i am using the DX/D2 overclock tool, works like i champ. stable at 1.4 Ghz with Quadrant score of 1737
    6. i tweaked the build.prop file for better scrolling, davlich cache use, and wireless network search

after doing all the above i am very happy with my phone, it is smoking fast, never freezes, and battery lasts about 2 days now. feel free to ask ?'s i will gladly answer them
Search tags for this page

bootloader droid 2

change usb mode on droid 2 boot loader
driod 2 botload
droid 2 and bootloader mode

droid 2 bootloader

enter bootloader droid 2 world edtion
exit the bootloader for the droid2
how do i unlock bootloader on droid 2
how to get droid 2 out of boatloader mode
how to put droid 2 in bootloader mode
how to unlock bootloader on motorola droid 2