Droid 2 BOGO question..

chronomadic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a question. I've never had a smartphone before, and I can barely even use my current phone anymore... battery can be full, but will be drained all the way (to the point of the phone saying "low battery" and finally shutting off) if I browse the web or even snap a picture.

I know I can get a new battery replacement, etc, but I actually really want to join in with the rest of you Droid users! The question is, I saw that the Droid 2 has a BOGO going on right now.

My upgrade isn't until February, sadly, but my friend has an upgrade and we were thinking of having him get a droid and activate the second one on my line. We spoke to the rep and she said it is possible to activate the second droid on my line, but my question is, will I have to upgrade my line with a new 2 year agreement as well?

The reason why I'm asking is because I would like to get a Droid now, but use my upgrade sometime around summer next year when the better Droids are out. I might as well just wait if I'm forced to use my upgrade to activate the 2nd droid on my phone now...

So, TLDR: To activate my friends 2nd droid on my account (he hasn't bought it yet!) will I need to upgrade my line, or can I just pay the activation fee and activate it on my phone?

tommyb38

Reaction score
In order to get the free Droid 2, it will have to be "activated" on a new line or a line that is eligible for upgrade. The reason I say "activated" is because it won't really be activated on that line, just purchased using that lines upgrade. You can not just get the free phone and give it to someone else that is not eligible for upgrade. Once it has been "activated" on the line eligible for upgrade, the rep will just swap the ESN back to the current phone on the account and then the free phone can be activated on your account. You will also not be eligible to insure the new phone on your account and any warranty issues would have to be made through Motorola as the device will now be Customer provided equipment(CPE). Your friend could always have the phone re-activated on the original account and then make a warranty claim at Verizon.

OP
C

chronomadic

Reaction score
Ahhh, so even if I was eligible for an upgrade, getting that free phone would use up my upgrade either way, and I wouldn't be able to get a discount in the summer when I renew my account.

That bites! I guess I'll just have to wait... Thanks for the quick response. :<

OP
C

chronomadic

Reaction score
Update! I have another question.

What if I buy the droid 2 on ebay? I see people selling them 'brand new, never opened' etc for $200 - $250. Could I activate it without having to upgrade or get a new line on my phone plan? (other than adding internet service on my phone since it is required)

And what does it mean when some say "clean ESN" and "bad ESN"?

Thanks!

Taegost

Reaction score
Update! I have another question.

What if I buy the droid 2 on ebay? I see people selling them 'brand new, never opened' etc for $200 - $250. Could I activate it without having to upgrade or get a new line on my phone plan? (other than adding internet service on my phone since it is required)

And what does it mean when some say "clean ESN" and "bad ESN"?

Thanks!

Yes, you can do that, the only caveat is the warranty mentioned above. I would assume that "clean ESN" means a phone that's never been activated, but I'm not sure.

littlerick

Reaction score
clean esn means its ok to activate, bad esn means verizon wont activate it (usually the phone was claimed as lost or stolen)