droid 2 bluetooth voice comand

zathus

Reaction score
on my D1 when I clicked the Bluetooth button it would say in the speaker of the blue tooth, say a command. but with the D2 when I click the Bluetooth button it brings up the voice commands only on the phone and not through the speaker of the Bluetooth (if that makes sense) anyone else know what im talking about and have this issue?

pool_shark

Reaction score
on my D1 when I clicked the Bluetooth button it would say in the speaker of the blue tooth, say a command. but with the D2 when I click the Bluetooth button it brings up the voice commands only on the phone and not through the speaker of the Bluetooth (if that makes sense) anyone else know what im talking about and have this issue?

I use my headset everyday for voice dialing, works just fine, all commands come through the headset.
Waiting on a new headset now, it will announce my incoming calls in the headset and I'll use Vlingo to read my text messages thru the headset.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mine works like this. I long press on my BT earpiece and then there is a beep, usually a pause and then I hear "Please wait" in the head set, then "say a command" in the headset. Nothing comes out of the speaker of the phone.

What type of headset are you using? Are you using a BlueAnt by any chance?

pool_shark

Reaction score

Mine works like this. I long press on my BT earpiece and then there is a beep, usually a pause and then I hear "Please wait" in the head set, then "say a command" in the headset. Nothing comes out of the speaker of the phone.

Why do you ask? I have a blueant on the way.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well, I have a blueant q1 and when voice activation came around with 2.2 it worked differently. Not really in the way the OP stated, but it works like this:

Long press: Say a command. "Contacts." Accessing phone's internal voice command(or something like that) then it would go through the usual procedure by phone.

Trouble with it was with the Q1 I had I couldn't hear the person on the other end of the phone no matter how loud my volume was turned up. I could barely hear them. I bought a Plantronics headset for 40.00 and no problem at all. This was all with the D1, it's important to point that out.

I've never tried hooking up my q1 with my D2. So I don't know how it will work with the D2.

I'll guess you''ll find out. Just remember when it says say a command to say contacts. That's the toughest part to figure out.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Well, I have a blueant q1 and when voice activation came around with 2.2 it worked differently. Not really in the way the OP stated, but it works like this:

Long press: Say a command. "Contacts." Accessing phone's internal voice command(or something like that) then it would go through the usual procedure by phone.

Trouble with it was with the Q1 I had I couldn't hear the person on the other end of the phone no matter how loud my volume was turned up. I could barely hear them. I bought a Plantronics headset for 40.00 and no problem at all. This was all with the D1, it's important to point that out.

I've never tried hooking up my q1 with my D2. So I don't know how it will work with the D2.

I'll guess you''ll find out. Just remember when it says say a command to say contacts. That's the toughest part to figure out.

Thanks. My plantronics works as you described, I want the BlueAnt T1 for it's a2dp.
I'll be disappointed if get those new features but lose the common voice command features.

OP
zathus

zathus

Reaction score

ya thats what it used to do on my D1. with my D2 it doesnt, same bluetooth. is there a setting?

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score

What Plantronics headset do you have? My Motorola headset does not ring/announce calls in the headset the ringing takes place on the phone. I also have Say My Name Dessert and the announcement also goes to the phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

What Plantronics headset do you have? My Motorola headset does not ring/announce calls in the headset the ringing takes place on the phone. I also have Say My Name Dessert and the announcement also goes to the phone.

You know I'm not sure. I think I only paid like 40.00 but when I go to Plantronics site it looks more like the one for 79.00.

It has the thick ear loop on it. Looks like it would be uncomfortable and it can be if you wear it for hours at a time but for a couple of hours it's not bad at all. Does a great job.

pool_shark

Reaction score
My girlfriend has the same blueant that I have coming.

When you pair with phone it transfers your contacts to the headset, that's how it announces the incoming caller.

There is also a free blueant app in the market that will read your incoming text messages, so I've deleted Vlingo.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had luck w/removing and then re-adding my BT devices, that seemed to help w/them working more consistently. Still not 100% success, in some cases either the initial prompt or part of it comes out of the phone before transitioning to the headset.

This is w/a Jabra 8010 headset, and a Moto T305 car BT unit.

Support on the D2 clearly is not as consistent as it was w/the D1 for me, on my devices. I suspect YMMV depending on what BT device you are using. But there definitely is an issue here - seen it discussed on motorola's support forum as well.

dcw9ma

Reaction score
The problem is that the droid 2 bluetooth will not communicate with monaual headsets or speakers. You need to have a stereo bluetooth device or a headset that will receive the up to date bluetooth signal. Old hands free devices will not work. I had this problem with the motorola device in my car which is about six or seven years old. I just bought a new unit and it works just fine.

OP
zathus

zathus

Reaction score
well I dont know what it was, but I did make some changes to the build.prop file, nothing at all to do with bt but today I put the stock one back in and all is well now. so i dont know what it was but my bt is working fine again.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the droid 2 bluetooth will not communicate with monaual headsets or speakers. You need to have a stereo bluetooth device or a headset that will receive the up to date bluetooth signal. Old hands free devices will not work. I had this problem with the motorola device in my car which is about six or seven years old. I just bought a new unit and it works just fine.

I have a monaural device that works w/my D2, actually both are monaural now that I think of it, so that is not a stopper.