Droid 2 backlight comes on after unplugging charger

potatolover1102

Reaction score
So as the title suggests after I unplug my droid from charging from all sources, car, wall, pc, etc. A phantom Grey looking light comes on and stays on draining my battery until its dead until i hit the the sleep button and then the full screen turns on and then I re-lock it back. it is highly annoying and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with the back light also my light goes to full bright while charging which is annoying at night. Is this hardware or software?

OP
P

potatolover1102

Reaction score
I have not modded or rooted the phone. I have not tried a factory reset. Tech support said I could switch to a droid x for a 35 dollar restock fee since I have only had the phone for 15 days which I thought was very generous since the droid 2 was a free upgrade for warranty from my droid 1 but I declined because I love my keyboard although should I wait for the droid 2 global? It showed new keyboard faster processor and better touchscreen on the moto site when it leaked that day. I'm not trying to scam as this is a real issue just trying to make the best of the issue and wondering if waiting is worth it? Also the tech brought up a notice that warned about issues with the auto back light on the phone and didn't say if it was software version related or hardware. Anyone else have the issue, also the light will be very faint and only visible at night and could be why some people have days of very low battery randomly without explanation. It only happens after the phone is put to sleep while charging and then removed from the charger like it is trying to wake up like normal and freezing. Also could someone tell me what there phone does upon unplugging it or what its supposed to do? Sorry for the rant.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
No rant, just use paragraphs :)

When I unplug my Droid 2, the screen comes on -- locked if it was locked charging, or unlocked if it was on the cradle. After that, it times out like normal.

OP
P

potatolover1102

Reaction score
Yeah I figured it was supposed to come back on and mine is just freezing there so I guess that could be a software issue although I am leaning to hardware. Is there any idea of a new OTA or droid 2 global release date?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What I would try is scrolling through all the screen backlight options and come back to the auto setting if that makes sense

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

lmw907

Reaction score
my droid x stays lit after i unplug it from a charging source. I have checked all imaginable settings to adjust this to no avail. my friend has a droid x as well and his does not stay lit up...go figure!

the only way I can get the light to go off is to press the home key or the power button and then let the screen time out as per what you have the timeout set at.

Blabomb

Reaction score
I have this problem too. The only thing I have found to do to fix this is to double check my phone every time I take it off the charger

JasonC

Reaction score
My Droid 2 Global does the same thing. Not modded; no unusual software that I know of.

Consistently, when I unplug it, the screen stays black but the backlight turns on. It does not time out as usual (my timeout is set to 15 seconds) - it stays on until I press the button twice (once to bring up lock screen, again to turn it off).

Once I noticed the backlight turned on when I received a text message (although the screen was still blank).

I went through all the display settings with a fine toothed comb.

I usually remember to check it. Sometimes it's frustrating.

It's especially problematic when sharing a charger with other people; if somebody else unplugs my phone and isn't aware of this quirk, the backlight stays on and kills the battery again.

JasonC

Reaction score
I found a solution (at least, it works for me).

Go to Settings -> Battery Manager -> Battery Mode, and change the mode to anything but "Maximum Battery Saver". That stopped the problem for me.

--

Ironically, the problem only seems to happen with the Maximum Battery Saver profile. The problem doesn't appear to happen during off peak times in a custom profile, but I only did a quick test.

Originally, when I switched from a Droid to a Droid 2, I used MyBackup to backup all my phone settings. I then restored them on the Droid 2. I thought that perhaps using settings restored from older hardware was causing the problem. So, I then backed up everything on my phone except the settings, did a factory reset, and restored the phone. The problem no longer happened.

But, then I went through all the phone settings to manually set them to how I wanted them to be. After doing this I noticed the problem came back.

Eventually I narrowed it down to the battery saver setting. I can very consistently make this problem happen with Maximum Battery Saver, and make it stop happening by selecting another profile.

--

Do An Experiment:

Maybe other people could test. Try the following experiment:

1. Settings -> Battery Manager -> Battery Mode -> Maximum Battery Saver
2. Plug the phone charger in.
3. Turn off display with power button or just let it turn off on its own.
4. Unplug the phone charger.
5. Does the backlight come on and stay on (the screen stays blank, but the backlight turns on; sometimes you have to look closely or be in a dark room)?

Then:

1. Settings -> Battery Manager -> Battery Mode -> any other profile
2. Plug the phone charger in.
3. Turn off display with power button or just let it turn off on its own.
4. Unplug the phone charger.
5. The display should not turn on.

Post your results here.

I have started the same discussion on droidxforums.com here.

J

Last edited:

brettpeirce

Reaction score
seems to work for me - thanks for your effort (hopefully)

I don't have access to a dark room at the moment, but it looks like this has worked for me, and this issue has bothered me for a while. Found a few things that were supposed to fix it in various forums that did not work for me.

It seems to work, though, so thanks! - I'll edit or repost if it turns out to not have worked after all.

Since I discovered how badly it kills my battery, I have kinda gotten into the habit of just turning it on then off each time I unplug it - rather annoying and I don't think it COULD POSSIBLY GET MORE IRONIC than for the battery saver mode to be causing this! I mean seriously!??! WTF?!??!?!!??!

Last edited: