Droid 2 (A955) Keyboard Cover Replacement

Trespasser

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with replacing the keyboard cover in an A955 (Droid 2)?

Recently, I had Verizon replace my D2 because the USB connector was getting loose. Replacement came today. Popped it open and it has one of those "flat" keyboards instead of the "bubble" keyboards that is on my current D2 that I have come to know and love. Booted up the new flat keyboard one and I hate it. How simple would it be to swap the keyboard cover on these phones before I mail it back in? I saw a keyboard tear-down of a D1 and it appeared to be simply glued down without the need to take apart the entire phone...not sure if this is the case with the D2.

Stilbruch: [UPDATED] HOW TO: Replace/Repair the hardware keyboard of your Motorola Droid / Milestone

Anyone have any insight to my dilemma? Thank you kindly!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a new keymat on the way to my house now. My bubble keys are popping completely off now, so I ordered a flat keymat to replace.

I'll let you know how the replacement goes.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Any keymat replacement tips?

I have a new keymat on the way to my house now. My bubble keys are popping completely off now, so I ordered a flat keymat to replace.

I'll let you know how the replacement goes.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Didn't see your replacement results posted, so I probably just didn't search for the right terms, but would you mind letting me know how it went (anybody?)?

My own "motorola-a955 OEM Motorola Droid 2 Keyboard/Keypad Replacement QWERTY" arrived from FedEx today, and I hope to install it in place of the R2D2 keyboard whose G key and others have begun to abandon ship, "keys overboard!" I've watched a complete Droid 2 teardown/disassembly video from the vendor of this keyboard replacement part (keymat overlay), but I didn't find any pictorial reference for the repair specifically for the Droid 2 (or in my case the R2D2 edition, but Droid 2 Global or Droid 2 I assume have the same keymat/pad).

I've read and re-read the tutorial linked in the OP's post at the top of this thread, just want to know of any D2 gotchas before I dig in. :blink: Thanks in advance!

Actually sent from the DroidForums.net website, and NOT my R2D2 this time. :)K