Droid 2.2 Froyo Tethering

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pmbernal3, Aug 18, 2010.

1. pmbernal3

pmbernal3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, once again. I hope I made this post in the right category but if not I am sorry.

So I got my 2.2 Froyo update Saturday and I love it. I noticed that in the settings/network section there is a tethering option. I have done my research on this feature and was curoius about on thing. Will I be billed extra for this feature? It may not even be a new feature in the 2.2 update (I could have just noticed it all the sudden) but when researching it all a lot of people say how Verizon will charge extra for the whole tethering business. Is this true? I'm afraid to even try the feature out lol. Can someone please help me understand this feature. Thanks a lot guys.

dancedroid

2. L4m3st0n3

L4m3st0n3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you use USB to connect to your phone to your computer the option can be checked off. Once you try to access the internet though you will be directed to a verizon provisioning site to sign up for a 15 or 20 dollar limited data usage plan.

They do have a free tethering app that you don't need to root your phone to use though. It does not allow https unless you buy it. (10 bucks)

Hope this helps.

3. pmbernal3

pmbernal3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thanks a lot. You were a great help. Do you happen to know the name of the app you speak of? If I buy it I won't be charged then right? For the limited plan like you mentioned?

Thanks again.

4. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    He is probably talking about PDANet.
    The only catch is that you must also have PC side software installed for each computer you want to use it for.

Since that is the case, still nothing beats rooting and wireless tether!

5. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0

This is true. PDANet is free (paid if you want to use all features). You install it on your phone and your computer. You can keep a copy of the installer on your SD card to install to other computers as necessary. If you root you can use wifi tether and not have to install anything or have a USB cable handy. The option built into 2.2 will cost you money.

6. pmbernal3

pmbernal3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I'm using the PDANet one right now and I like it a lot. I might end up just buying the full version though. Doesn't sound too bad. I don't know how to ROOT either which opens a whole new can of worms.

dancedroid

7. L4m3st0n3

L4m3st0n3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was actually refering to EasyTether, but they both work the same I believe. I don't know the cost of PDAnet though.

You could just do what I did tonight and have Wifi and/or Bluetooth internet in about ten minutes tops.

Download EasyRoot Compatibility, then it will point you to the website where you can buy the app (donation of .99 - 4.99) and once installed you can root your phone with a one click wonder. Then download Wireless Tether App. It's really that simple. I can now use Wireless Tether and it works with secure connections like https.

For more info on EasyRoot you can go to Unstable Apps - Mobile apps for a mobile world. They also have a video if you want to watch.

PS: I'm on 2.2 with a droid and I did all this after I replied to your original post. And Wireless Tether says you need a Netfilter enabled Kernal, you have that with 2.2 and possibly earlier firmware versions. So you don't have to do anything extra.

8. pmbernal3

pmbernal3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool thanks a lot man. I will definitely look into to that. You've been a great help.

Search tags for this page

can the motorola droid 2 a955 bluetooth tether