Droid 2 2..3.1.5 update

Druuseph

Reaction score
2.3.15 benchmarks (quadrant) about the same as 2.2.20, but it feels somewhat faster/smoother. Could be all in my head...

The leaked update is deodexed, that's probably the speed increase. I deodexed my system using Motoboy's method in the hacks section and I noticed an instant jump in speed/smooth scrolling. I THINK it has something to do with changing the way memory is allocated but I just did it to modify my system files. Because of that tweaking I've already done though I'm afraid to try this update without reverting. Likewise, I am afraid that if I revert to do so I won't notice any real gains. If it's just bug fixes than it's not worth it, I rarely run into them.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2.3.15 benchmarks (quadrant) about the same as 2.2.20, but it feels somewhat faster/smoother. Could be all in my head...

The leaked update is deodexed, that's probably the speed increase. I deodexed my system using Motoboy's method in the hacks section and I noticed an instant jump in speed/smooth scrolling. I THINK it has something to do with changing the way memory is allocated but I just did it to modify my system files. Because of that tweaking I've already done though I'm afraid to try this update without reverting and I am afraid to if I revert to do so I won't notice any real gains. If it's just bug fixes than it's not worth it, I rarely run into them.

For all you know it could have more bugs! :shocked:

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

The leaked update is deodexed, that's probably the speed increase. I deodexed my system using Motoboy's method in the hacks section and I noticed an instant jump in speed/smooth scrolling. I THINK it has something to do with changing the way memory is allocated but I just did it to modify my system files. Because of that tweaking I've already done though I'm afraid to try this update without reverting. Likewise, I am afraid that if I revert to do so I won't notice any real gains. If it's just bug fixes than it's not worth it, I rarely run into them.

I was already deodexed (did it a few days ago via xultimate) so that was not a factor. I suspect my feelings of faster/smoother are just new-ROM halo, rather than a significant improvement.

I've been looking for issues and haven't found any so far...given they went from 2.2.20 to 2.3.15 (fairly significant version jump) I'm expecting that this contains some fixes/updates that at least Moto/VZW feel are somewhat significant. ;) However, I haven't found anything big yet. Be interesting when I test bluetooth in my car to see if that looks any more reliable (I get intermittent loss of BT audio, usually at the start of the process when the Voice Command app issues its initial prompts...(e.g., "Say a command...")

Did just notice that the lock-screen drag is raised up higher than on the current release...it's about 1/2" higher on the lock screen. I like that - easier position for my thumb.

Last edited:

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

I think for the first time I will actualy wait for the update :) Went through to much trouble getting my phone how I like it and want to enjoy it for a few days at least :)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

I think for the first time I will actualy wait for the update :) Went through to much trouble getting my phone how I like it and want to enjoy it for a few days at least :)

That is a lot more Zen Master self-control than I can muster... :)

I do badly miss the 928Droid them I had on mine, I may flash back to it soon unless I find something in this build that seems like a must-have update, so far I haven't found anything significant...

I have noticed one small quirk, I believe...the Swype keyboard seems like it may be a little "touchy" - I was getting some odd characters when swyping earlier...might have been a fat-finger issue, but it just seemed more sensitive somehow...not sure, gonna monitor it.

Gonna add my facebook account now and see if it does an auto sync-all, I have a feeling it will...

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

That is a lot more Zen Master self-control than I can muster... :)

I do badly miss the 928Droid them I had on mine, I may flash back to it soon unless I find something in this build that seems like a must-have update, so far I haven't found anything significant...

I have noticed one small quirk, I believe...the Swype keyboard seems like it may be a little "touchy" - I was getting some odd characters when swyping earlier...might have been a fat-finger issue, but it just seemed more sensitive somehow...not sure, gonna monitor it.

Gonna add my facebook account now and see if it does an auto sync-all, I have a feeling it will...

Haha...I broke down and installed it. Went smooth. I deleted all the crap I did not want from the the ROM file and installed without a wipe. All seems to be good :)

Now I need to convert my theme over to this ROM which I am doing now. If anyone wants the stock status bar with transparent windows let me know and I will post it. I am sure I will post it anyways :)

Canadroid

Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a few questions about this update, I have a new D2 that that I managed to root manually per the XDA-Developers "tutorial method'. :icon_ banana:

I thought I would have more time to do my homework and fully realize the potential of having this root access before I was confronted with an OTA such as today's 2.3.15 patch. The notification is sitting up in my alerts right now and I don't want to touch it. :icon_eek:

Q1: This OTA will very likely wipe away my root access completely, correct?

Q2: What are my options to freeze, cancel or somehow put off installing this update until I'm more comfy trying to 're-root' this D2? Due to a few issues I encountered during the process I'm a bit wary of doing it again right away. Is there a preferred way to put the OTA process in stasis using TitaniumBackup or another available Froyo app? I've read a bit about manually renaming extensions in order to avoid OTA alerts...None specifically on D2 though.

Q3: While I do have Bootstrap installed and the full SDK on my PC at home, I have not backed up any images yet. Is this something I'm absolutely going to want done before I allow 2.3.15?

Yes! There is so much I'm still exploring at this point I'd really prefer some more time before having to deal with possible update issues!

BTW your forum sold me on a Droid, GLAD I didn't get an iphone--thanks!

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a few questions about this update, I have a new D2 that that I managed to root manually per the XDA-Developers "tutorial method'. :icon_ banana:

I thought I would have more time to do my homework and fully realize the potential of having this root access before I was confronted with an OTA such as today's 2.3.15 patch. The notification is sitting up in my alerts right now and I don't want to touch it. :icon_eek:

Q1: This OTA will very likely wipe away my root access completely, correct?

Q2: What are my options to freeze, cancel or somehow put off installing this update until I'm more comfy trying to 're-root' this D2? Due to a few issues I encountered during the process I'm a bit wary of doing it again right away. Is there a preferred way to put the OTA process in stasis using TitaniumBackup or another available Froyo app? I've read a bit about manually renaming extensions in order to avoid OTA alerts...None specifically on D2 though.

Q3: While I do have Bootstrap installed and the full SDK on my PC at home, I have not backed up any images yet. Is this something I'm absolutely going to want done before I allow 2.3.15?

Yes! There is so much I'm still exploring at this point I'd really prefer some more time before having to deal with possible update issues!

BTW your forum sold me on a Droid, GLAD I didn't get an iphone--thanks!

Welcome to the Droid world. Glad you got through rooting your phone.

You will lose root with many OTA updates if not all them.

If you install the D2 Clockwork and Bootstrap that will stop the OTA updates from installing.

Backing up is always good!

I am putting a thread together in the Droid2 Hacks section which should help you get on your way with your new Droid. I will be updating with more info as time goes by so you may want to check it out...shameless plug :)

everstar80

Reaction score
I'm glad for all those that have rooted phones are able to get this update. But does anyone know or heard when Motorola will release the 2.3 update for unrooted phones? I have been searching all day and I still haven't gotten a more concrete answer. Will someone please let me know if you hear anything related to this? Thanks in advance.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed that installing bootstrap recovery on D2 actually blocks OTA like Installing Clockwork Recovery on a D1 would?

Reason I ask, is that without extra measures (battery pull during boot up) the D2 boots into stock recovery, so it seems likely that OTA updates could work if accepted, even if bootstrap has been applied...

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed that installing bootstrap recovery on D2 actually blocks OTA like Installing Clockwork Recovery on a D1 would?

Reason I ask, is that without extra measures (battery pull during boot up) the D2 boots into stock recovery, so it seems likely that OTA updates could work if accepted, even if bootstrap has been applied...

Oh yeah...good point!

I am wondering if adb works through bootstrap. I used SPRecovery on my OD and I can not get it to work with bootstrap on D2. Thank good for the stop command :)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah...SPRecovery definitely won't work on the D2...only custom recovery is Clockwork...

ADB isn't dependent on bootstrap, just on root/SU for root privileges.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yeah...SPRecovery definitely won't work on the D2...only custom recovery is Clockwork...

ADB isn't dependent on bootstrap, just on root/SU for root privileges.

With SPRecovery on Droid 1 you were able to connect to phone with adb shell when you mounted system. I have never used clockwork for Droid 1 so I am not sure if the same applied with clockwork but with the D2 I can no longer use adb shell to connect to phone when in recovery...
Should it work with bootstrap and D2?

Canadroid

Reaction score
Welcome to the Droid world. Glad you got through rooting your phone.

You will lose root with many OTA updates if not all them.

If you install the D2 Clockwork and Bootstrap that will stop the OTA updates from installing.

Backing up is always good!

I am putting a thread together in the Droid2 Hacks section which should help you get on your way with your new Droid. I will be updating with more info as time goes by so you may want to check it out...shameless plug :)
Thanks for the welcome. The rooting was a bit traumatic, a story I'll save for later. Believe me though I danced a little jig when I got the phone booted back up and saw that Ninjaman.

I am definitely not allowing this OTA for a day or two. I also need to do a backup.

Just to clarify on two things: I DO need to download ROM Manager in addition to the Bootstrap I've got, they are separate apps that work together?

And Clockwork Recovery is a feature/function of the Bootstrap app?

I'm actually reading that Dev's page now re: this, but since you guys are here tonight... :) Oh and I'll definitely be checking the D2Hacks area regularly, looking forward to your thread.