Droid 2.1 update question

nerdbox08

Reaction score
will i receive the OTA if i have a rooted phone?

I am fairly certain all of the rooted ROMS have a built in feature to block OTA updates.

If you want to receive an OTA update, you will have to remove any custom ROM and unroot your phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i did read that rooted phones don't receive the OTA updates.

If i were you, i'd unroot once i hear of the first person here who got it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I unrooted. If you are rooted you probably will. Not receive the update.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I manually updated last time anyway, won't kill me to do it again. I'm still rooted, won't be getting my OTA

r-dubya

Reaction score
i did read that rooted phones don't receive the OTA updates.

If i were you, i'd unroot once i hear of the first person here who got it.

I don't think that stament is intierly true.

It all depends on how you look at it. With the speed and intensity that some of the devs are pushing out updates to their roms (sholes) i don't reall see the need to unroot and get the OTA 2.1.

I will simply wait untill they have updated their ROM to be running on the 2.1 shell.

I don't want to give up OC, WiFi teethering, MT, and, i like prefer the old slider!

kaboyd

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken it's the ROM you run that blocks the update. I rooted my GF's phone so I could use Terminal Emulator to install a bootanimation, but she didn't want a different ROM. So she should still get the OTA update. I, on the other hand, am running Sholes ROM from their SMUpdater. So I will have to manually install an update when I decide I want it. If I'm wrong, please set me straight.:)

Last edited:

Droidster163

Reaction score
so you won't even get a notification telling you there is an update available?

nerdbox08

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken it's the ROM you run that blocks the update. I rooted my GF's phone so I could use Terminal Emulator to install a bootanimation, but she didn't want a different ROM. So she should still get the OTA update. I, on the other hand, am running Shoeless ROM from their SMUpdater. So I will have to manually install an update when I decide I want it. If I'm wrong, please set me straight.

I am appending my earlier statement where I said not only did the ROM block OTA, but you had to un-root.

I've read in many, many ROM notes that they block OTA updates, so I assumed rooting did also, but I've read in several threads it's only the ROMs that are blocking the updates, not the rooting.

Do I know this for a 100%? No, I'm not a dev, but I am going to trust this information.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

I read in another thread that if you are only rooted, you will get the notification just like an unrooted phone, but from what I understand if you are running a custom ROM it will block the notification altogether.

I've not seen this in person, so I can't say for certain, but this seems to be the general consensus.

r-dubya

Reaction score

I read in another thread that if you are only rooted, you will get the notification just like an unrooted phone, but from what I understand if you are running a custom ROM it will block the notification altogether.

I've not seen this in person, so I can't say for certain, but this seems to be the general consensus.

I think that if you are not running any ROMS you will recieve the OTA update. I.E. if you are rooted for some other reason and do not run an actice ROM.

I could be wrong though, wont be the first time...

HMJB

Reaction score

I think that if you are not running any ROMS you will recieve the OTA update. I.E. if you are rooted for some other reason and do not run an actice ROM.

I could be wrong though, wont be the first time...

Thats right, rooting it doesnt block OTA updates, the use of SPRecovery does and majority of the custom ROMS also rename the OTA file to block the update as well.

So if you are rooted and Do not have a rom, sprecovery and havent renamed any files to block the updates.. you still will get a notification of an update

AceMilo

Reaction score
So will updating to the 2.1 update remove the root or will it stick? Should we wait for someone to root the 2.1 update first?