Droid 2.1 Update Downgraded Gallery Display?

kellex

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We just got test results from DisplayMate which shows the Droid's gallery or image viewer being downgraded to 16-bit after the 2.1 update...

Droid 2.1 Update Downgraded Display to 16-bit? | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

…when the Droid was upgraded to version 2.1, the Gallery (the principal image viewer for the phone) surprisingly downgraded to 16-bit color from its original full 24-bit color in version 2.0. Fortunately, version 2.1 of the Android Browser on the Droid still delivers full 24-bit color. Image Scaling for the Gallery (which adjusts images so they fit the native resolution of the display) went from Excellent in version 2.0 to Poor in version 2.1, the same as for the Browser (both versions).

Boo!

mills

Reaction score
Epic Fail, I posted this on moto's droid support forum , I hope they fix

rdburke

Reaction score
I think it was probably intentional on Motorola's part because they were concerned about the performance due to all the apps that are being written to be memory intensive. 16bit verses 24bit is a definite drop in memory use if I am right. I don't know anything about the coding side of this subject but is their any way BD can change the code to reverse this in his ROM's or has he already?:icon_eek:

samiusmc

Reaction score
If this is news, wouldn't that suggest that the drop to 16 bits isn't noticeable? I had no idea until I read the article. I doubt anyone could distinguish the difference if they were unaware of the revision.