Droid 2.1 Stock Rooted updating to 2.2 Questions??

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gdawg522, Aug 13, 2010.

1. gdawg522

gdawg522 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys so I have my droid running ESE81 right now with SPrecovery installed and Chevy's LV 1.1 ghz kernal. Other than that I am completely stock. I realize that when the OTA update gets to my phone, it won't install properly because of SPrecovery being there. How can I go about doing the 2.2 update? I need to keep my apps and all my handcent txt messages and everything. I'm not sure if just downloading the 2.2 update from google, putting it on the root, running sprecovery and allowing update.zip will work. Will that erase everything on my phone while installing the 2.2 update?? Thanks for your time. I would like to get 2.2 running without losing anything that is on the phone right now.

2. gdawg522

gdawg522 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BUMP!!!

Thanks for the support

3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Go to the FRG01B circus thread and go to page 6. Once there download and install JRummys' rooted stock ROM and install via SPRecovery. Or, if you just want stock 2.2, when the OTA comes in, tell SPRecovery to allow update.zip before telling it to install update.zip (deprecated).

4. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You had the exact same setup as I did (stock 2.1 rooted with Chevy 1.1GHz kernel and sprecovery). I asked a bunch of questions too before I manually installed froyo. I used jrummy's rooted stock rom that furbearingmammal is talking about, its 77mb. I really didn't want to lose my apps and settings either and I wasn't sure how to go about making the switch to froyo. Unfortunately, if you're rooted 2.1 and want to get to rooted 2.2, i think you have to clear everything. BUT...i used Titanium backup and it worked exactly like it says it does.

I kind of explained how i did it in another thread, but i'll describe it here too. I used Titanium backup to backup any app that is NOT 2.1 specific (therefore, things I DID NOT backup were apps like Camera, Gallery, Market, Browser, Google Maps, etc cuz all those apps come with a stock rom obviously). Maybe you can back up those apps too and restore them, but i wasn't sure if that would cause problems or not when trying to restore them in 2.2, so i just didn't. I also backed up my call log and contacts.

Then I made a Nandroid backup using sprecovery. Then i cleared data x 3, then cleared cache x 3, then installed the froyo rom. It installed just fine, i went to the market and downloaded titanium backup, and restored my apps and call log. Initially none of the apps showed up my market downloads, but after downloading a purchased app that was just there in the downloads sections, then ALL of them appeared.

I didn't backup bookmarks or sms texts, but i'm pretty sure you can back those up too. I havent had any problems at all with the stock froyo rooted rom at all. All my apps are there, its nice and fast, and i put a p3droid kernel 1.2 GHz kernel too. Everything is working great! :)

Hopefully this doesn't sound too complicated or confusing. Just wanted to explain my process, and it worked for me.

Search tags for this page

if i update from 2.1 to 2.2 would everything delete