Droid 2.0?

Eli

Reaction score
Any ideas as to when we may see a design update/refresh? I know the droid is a new phone but I am waiting until they address the awful physical keyboard before I get one. I really want a phone with a physical keyboard, but they dropped the ball here.

Also hoping for a better camera. I think a fingerprint scanner would be REALLY slick for locking down bank apps, etc. A better layout of the keyboard for gaming would be nice, move the d-pad to the left.

Silver Member
Reaction score
the keyboard is great. you might like the Shioles better, but it's a lesser phone. the Nexus does not have a keyboard, so if you're still not happy with your selection, get a BB or an Imagio.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not anytime soon, and there's no guarantee that the next version of the Droid will have a physical keyboard.

OP
E

Eli

Reaction score
well, I hope you are wrong. Its a very nice phone but has a few design flaws I wish they would fix.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not anytime soon, and there's no guarantee that the next version of the Droid will have a physical keyboard.
there's no guarantee that moto will even stick with "DROID"...

Danthok

Reaction score
The keyboard is not that bad, have you tried one out? I agree that the d-pad should be mirrored.

OP
E

Eli

Reaction score

The keyboard is not that bad, have you tried one out? I agree that the d-pad should be mirrored.

I have, but just in the store a few time, and I hate it.

My wife doesn't read all of this stuff and within 5 min playing with it was complaining about the keyboard and camera - probably the 2 biggest complaints people have.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i'm convinced that the display models have different keyboards than the ones they sell. i think the keyboard is fine and very useful, and the camera is decent for what it does.

if you are hung up on things, then don't bother. you'll just have those issues in the back of your head the entire time and you won't enjoy the device.

my wife, who is anti-tech, gets good use out of both the keyboard and camera and has had zero complaints.

Laurence5905

Reaction score

I have, but just in the store a few time, and I hate it.

My wife doesn't read all of this stuff and within 5 min playing with it was complaining about the keyboard and camera - probably the 2 biggest complaints people have.

I agree -- the keyboard and camera are the two biggest complaints. At least the camera should be able to be fixed with some new software, it seems.

I wouldn't be looking for a Droid 2 anytime soon, though. I'm imagining, if there ever is a Droid 2, it's going to be released about two years after the original Droid -- think Christmas 2011. It'll probably be Verizon's first 4G Android Phone. (Verizon is rumoured to have plans to have their 4G network rolled out by the end of 2011 or so...)

If you truly can't stand the physical keyboard, then this Droid is probably not for you. Wait 'till that new 1080p Motorola phone comes out in a few months -- from the rumors I've read, and the one pic I've seen, it doesn't look like it's gonna have a physical keyboard at all.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any ideas as to when we may see a design update/refresh?
No one knows for certain but it's likely to be quite some time (i.e no point in wondering if you're shopping now).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
well, I hope you are wrong. Its a very nice phone but has a few design flaws I wish they would fix.

Show me a better phone on the market that has a physical keyboard. I don't think you can. Matter of fact I think it's the best phone available at this time.

Is it perfect? No, but it's a heck of a lot better then other phones out there.

I have to take issue with what you say are complaints: The Keyboard and the camera. I don't use the physical keyboard but in a recent poll it was the most popular keyboard and it's my personal observation in this forum that there are not a lot of complaints about it. As far as the camera goes, yes I read complaints but there isn't a wireless phone out there that doesn't have complaints about the camera. Personally, I think it works great.

OP
E

Eli

Reaction score
Well, I know 2.1 will be opensourced, but Im not sure if motorola feels it will be coming to Droid:

"It's true, it's true, but if you look at 2.1, it has much more 3D capability. So to deliver a good 2.1 experience, I think, you know, the Nexus One has a gigahertz processor. You will see us deliver those gigahertz processors in the marketplace. I think that the impatience that the users have with the response to their input is such that I think that you will see the latest softwares generally requiring more processing."
- Motorola co-CEO Sanjay Jha

A quick sitdown with Motorola co-CEO Sanjay Jha -- Engadget

Sounds like the Droid already needs a CPU upgrade :(

hacku

Reaction score
Well, I know 2.1 will be opensourced, but Im not sure if motorola feels it will be coming to Droid:

"It's true, it's true, but if you look at 2.1, it has much more 3D capability. So to deliver a good 2.1 experience, I think, you know, the Nexus One has a gigahertz processor. You will see us deliver those gigahertz processors in the marketplace. I think that the impatience that the users have with the response to their input is such that I think that you will see the latest softwares generally requiring more processing."
- Motorola co-CEO Sanjay Jha

A quick sitdown with Motorola co-CEO Sanjay Jha -- Engadget

Sounds like the Droid already needs a CPU upgrade :(

Even thought the Nexus One has the 1Ghz processor and we only have a 550Mhz processor, we have an advantage of a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) which the Nexus One doesn't have. So in terms of processing those 3D graphics, we don't sit too far behind the Nexus One.

FireDroid

Reaction score
Could you be a troll?? The endgadget stuff was covered several times already in the past couple days!

Keep in mind that the demo in stores have their keyboards used probably 200% more than an average user will use it over it's lifecycle. Ask to push buttons on a new one. I dont have any problems with the physical board and really dont mind the D pad on the right.

As for the camera, it's a PHONE. It is a phone that does 5mp with a flash! What do you expect, a DLSR????? It works great for 99% of the situations that I use it for. Yes there was an issue at first but with the update it has been hashed out. This phone is a jack of all trades and a master of none! That will always happen when you try to cram several devices into one, there has to be comprimise somewhere. The keyboard has flat buttons so we can still have a very sleek phone, ok I am with that, at least it has one.

Please remember it IS a PHONE that does some pretty sweet stuff on the side, at least your not looking like Don Johnson with a creame colored brick with and antennae a foot off your head attached to your ear wearimg pastel colored clothes with no socks!!!