Droid 1, unusual (brick?) issue.

Discussion in 'Droid Rooted Help' started by OrangeDoorhinge, Sep 29, 2010.

  1. OrangeDoorhinge

    OrangeDoorhinge New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, I've had my Motodroid since last December, and I've been rooted since April. The first custom ROM I used was Kangerade 4.7, then I switched to BBB and finally Simply Stunning's 2.2 (1ghz kernel), which is where I've been since it was released. I've used this thing heavily, with USBwebcam, emulators, calling 2-4 hours a day, etc.

    So last night, I put it on my wall charger. It was fine. I wake up, see my LED blinking green, and try to turn the screen on. The backlight turns on but the screen remains black/gray. It doesn't respond to touch. My alarm went off (kind of, it beeped and vibrated on/off twice and then just kept vibrating for 5 seconds) and my notification tone played when I received another text. Removing battery is the only way I can turn it off, and when it turn on there's no M or boot animation. I haven't done anything that would damage the screen, it's never been dropped or wet. I was using a task killer really frequently, which is a terrible idea as I now know. RSD Lite doesn't seem to be working for me (I have Vista 32bit but there isn't a "run as admin" option when I right-click the icon).

    Is it bricked? What can I do? Will the VZ insurance policy that I bought replace it?

    While I wait for replies, I'm going to try to do a blind (screenless, since everything internally seems to be running fine) factory reset. Thanks in advance for any help/wisdom.

    EDIT: That didn't work, so I'm out of ideas.
     
  2. Tallica

    Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Messages:
    3,259
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    101
    Location:
    Middleboro, MA
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have 32 bit Vista, and RSD works fine for me. Try holding shift and right clicking RSD and choose, "run as..."
     
  3. OrangeDoorhinge

    OrangeDoorhinge New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I see as far as running options is "Open".

    Going to reboot and try again. I shouldn't need my Droid screen to fix it with RSD, right?
     
  4. hookbill

    hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2009
    Messages:
    19,502
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    168
    Location:
    N.E. Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK let's get it straightened out for you by helping you fix it. We will not discuss insurance fraud in this thread, I hope I'm clear about that.
     
  5. hookbill

    hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2009
    Messages:
    19,502
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    168
    Location:
    N.E. Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thread moved to a more appropriate area for assistance.
     
  6. Tallica

    Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Messages:
    3,259
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    101
    Location:
    Middleboro, MA
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, RSD will work with a non functioning screen. As long as the rest of the the phone works.
     
  7. guidot

    guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Messages:
    7,347
    Likes Received:
    274
    Trophy Points:
    198
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    Ratings:
    +274
    I hate not getting more information to help these people!
     
  8. furbearingmammal

    furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Messages:
    10,348
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    153
    Location:
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm going to guess either the phone was repaired or returned to Verizon.
     
  9. guidot

    guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Messages:
    7,347
    Likes Received:
    274
    Trophy Points:
    198
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    Ratings:
    +274
    I know. But I need closure haha.
     
  10. teddyearp

    teddyearp Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2010
    Messages:
    1,800
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    68
    Location:
    Randle, WA
    Ratings:
    +3
    That, my friend, is the closure. No more questions=problem solved 90% of the time. I've been like you, but learned that this is the nature of the beast . . . . Just be happy with the other 10% who do come back and say dancedroidthat fixed it!