Droid 1 Touch screen possessed

dcb1101

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid 1. All of a sudden the touch screen seems to be possessed. When I am trying to use it, it opens apps, types on the keyboard, scrools, etc by itself. I have tried uninstalling some recently installed items. I have cleaned the screen. I haven even tried it in "safe mode" but I still have them same problem. Any ideas? Other question, cause Im not sure if it may be related. When you slide the keyboard open, the plastic sheet on the back of the screen side has started to peel off. Could this cause a problem?

Thanks!

newparadigm

Reaction score
There are similar threads on this issue.

It is unfortunately a hardware failure of the touchscreen.You will need to have it (the screen or the phone) replaced.

GDP

Reaction score
Does this happen when it's plugged in? Mine used to do that when it was plugged in with a non-motorola charger

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Good call, GDP. If it's when it's on battery power and cleaning the heck out of the screen, removing any screen protectors, etc, doesn't fix it you'll need to take it back to Verizon. The warranty is good for one year from date of purchase.

dmdj232

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid 1. All of a sudden the touch screen seems to be possessed. When I am trying to use it, it opens apps, types on the keyboard, scrools, etc by itself. I have tried uninstalling some recently installed items. I have cleaned the screen. I haven even tried it in "safe mode" but I still have them same problem. Any ideas? Other question, cause Im not sure if it may be related. When you slide the keyboard open, the plastic sheet on the back of the screen side has started to peel off. Could this cause a problem?

Thanks!
Had the some exact problem back in Sept. Verizon replaced under warranty. Obviously I was within the one year period.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Oh, and to answer the plastic sheet thing -- my CLN phone came with the small blue tab attached to that sheet and sticking out so it could be removed. I removed it. No problems.

anuraj1

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me over Christmas. It was a failure of the digitizer. If it has been over a year since you bought the D1, check the Motorola website to see if you are still under warranty, theirs lasts longer than the one year that VZW gives you.

The place to enter your serial number to check for warranty is on the middle to lower left of this page:

DROID by Motorola Support - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

My guess is that yu have the same problem, but there is also a possibility that it could happen from using a non-OEM charger. A lot of people have had that issue because of incorrect voltage.

EDIT: If you are still under warranty with Moto, you have to mail them the phone and it gets repaired for free. A local repair shop was going to charge me 90 dollars for replacing the digitizer.