Droid 1 sucks after froyo

OP
R

rockasocky

Reaction score
Try this:
https://android.clients.google.com/...voles/a5e329b00288.signed-voles-ota-50454.zip
It's the official full install for FRG22D (don't worry about the security certificate thing;it's Google's server; it always does that.
Manual install instructions :

1)rename downloaded file update.zip and move to directory /sdcard using a file manager (make sure you have file extensions showing; update.zip.zip won't work)
2) Turn your phone off.
3)Boot into recovery (Press Power then press X; when you seen the phone is turning on you can let go of Power but keep holding X)..
4) Wait for a triangle with exclamation point to appear and release X.
5) Press the volume up button and hold and quickly press the camera button and hold. Recovery console will appear.
6) Using the D-Pad select “apply update.zip” . Let the update proceed. When it's complete, use D-Pad to select reboot phone.

This will install the full FRG22D over the patched version. It often solves these problems. If it doesn't, check back with your results.

HTH

This appears to have fixed the problem. Thanks!

OP
R

rockasocky

Reaction score
P.S. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't lose anything from the FRG22D update, I thought I was gonna have to reinstall all my apps and stuff again.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Woohoo! I helped someone! :-D

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Burtonbell

Reaction score
Try this:
https://android.clients.google.com/...voles/a5e329b00288.signed-voles-ota-50454.zip
It's the official full install for FRG22D (don't worry about the security certificate thing;it's Google's server; it always does that.

1)rename downloaded file update.zip and move to directory /sdcard using a file manager (make sure you have file extensions showing; update.zip.zip won't work)
2) Turn your phone off.
3)Boot into recovery (Press Power then press X; when you seen the phone is turning on you can let go of Power but keep holding X)..
5) Press the volume up button and hold and quickly press the camera button and hold. Recovery console will appear.
6) Using the D-Pad select “apply update.zip” . Let the update proceed. When it's complete, use D-Pad to select reboot phone.

This will install the full FRG22D over the patched version. It often solves these problems. If it doesn't, check back with your results.

HTH

This appears to have fixed the problem. Thanks!

Do you know how I can tell if this worked or not? I don't notice any big differences.

matt2783

Reaction score
My droid is acting up since 2.2 update too. It's all around sluggish, but that's not the biggest problem. Almost every time I'm talking on it, somehow my face hits buttons on the touch screen. Sometimes mute or speaker phone or even end. It's really annoying. I guess I should try the fix posted above?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
There is a nice fix for this. Install Launcher Pro and root the phone and then apply the hack to local.prop as follows:

If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal, type su and enter. Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter. Then reboot. Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag. If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/local.prop

Now you can keep the stock ROM and just root the device and apply this fix. You don't have to install a custom ROM or kernel just use root to do this and you will be all giddy and happy.

Just an idea Darkseider. You might want to add the actual line to remove the toggle in your original post since we have people of all levels in the forums. It would save them coming back and asking later. Putting them both in the same post would be better than someone else adding them later in the thread where they may not see it as easily.

I'm using the toggle now. Thanks for the tip.
:icon_ banana:

Black Diamond

Reaction score
Try this:

2) Turn your phone off.

HTH

Where on the SD card do you put the zip file? Any particular folder?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My droid is acting up since 2.2 update too. It's all around sluggish, but that's not the biggest problem. Almost every time I'm talking on it, somehow my face hits buttons on the touch screen. Sometimes mute or speaker phone or even end. It's really annoying. I guess I should try the fix posted above?

I would give it a try if I were you.

There used to be an issue with long hair/beard/sideburns and the proximity sensor that keeps the phone dark while pressed to your ear/cheek. I don't know if it's still an issue. You might need to check that out by searching "proximity". Good luck.

Black Diamond

Reaction score
There used to be an issue with long hair/beard/sideburns and the proximity sensor that keeps the phone dark while pressed to your ear/cheek. I don't know if it's still an issue. You might need to check that out by searching "proximity". Good luck.

Ha!!

That is what Verizon told me when I took my phone out due to static issues while talking on the phone. That is one thing that was working better after the update.

I was unsure if I believed them or not. They gave me a new phone and the problem continued. They then suggested that I cut my hair and change my phone number as it could be related to my phone number, I declined.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Ha!!

That is what Verizon told me when I took my phone out due to static issues while talking on the phone. That is one thing that was working better after the update.

I was unsure if I believed them or not. They gave me a new phone and the problem continued. They then suggested that I cut my hair and change my phone number as it could be related to my phone number, I declined.

Nope - real issue. I just didn't know whether it persisted through Froyo. Back in the day, when this issue first was found, folks were getting around it by using speaker phone mode or Bluetooth headphones. :)

Cut your hair!!! That's worse than Apple's "you're holding the phone wrong" debacle!!!

BTW, just noticed your screen name - a little coincidence here as my last name is Diamond. :)

Have a good day.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I second doing a manual update with the large file. Easy to do and you do not loose anything. Straightens out a lot of issues. Chris

Worked for me too. I had done the update to FRG01B using the large file and again used the large file to update to FRG22D. My Droid took less time to adjust to the FRG22D update than the FRG01B update.

When I did the FRG01B update the battery life was bad until I used the suggestion of letting the battery drain until the phone turns off, then recharge. That helped battery life a lot. With this update I didn't have to do that.

Black Diamond

Reaction score
Nope - real issue. I just didn't know whether it persisted through Froyo. Back in the day, when this issue first was found, folks were getting around it by using speaker phone mode or Bluetooth headphones. :)

Cut your hair!!! That's worse than Apple's "you're holding the phone wrong" debacle!!!

BTW, just noticed your screen name - a little coincidence here as my last name is Diamond. :)

Have a good day.

My screen name is KISS-Band thing.

I was really leery about the hair thing as the guy telling me to do it was completely bald and claimed to not hear any static. The other person working at the store that had long hair also said he could not hear any static.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[QUOTE

My screen name is KISS-Band thing.

I was really leery about the hair thing as the guy telling me to do it was completely bald and claimed to not hear any static. The other person working at the store that had long hair also said he could not hear any static.[/QUOTE]

I do recall that there was a lot of weirdness about this issue. It affected some and not others. In fact someone even came up with an app that would test your proximity sensor. It seems that some proximity sensors that were on the low end of the "acceptable" scale were the ones that were susceptible to the hair issue. I may not recall that correctly as this was all early this year and I never had the issue so I didn't pay real close attention. But it was a real issue.

Yeah, never take advice about hair from a bald guy - sort of like asking a vegetarian for a pot roast recipe!! :icon_ banana: