Droid 1 sucks after froyo

rockasocky

Reaction score
Hello all, forgive me if this has been answered before. My Droid 1 has been driving me bananas since the froyo update (which I had been eagerly waiting for). When I slide open the keyboard to switch to landscape mode, the screen hangs for 5 to 10 seconds. I thought I would give it some time to work itself out, but it's starting to get worse. Now it also hangs for 5 to 10 seconds when exiting an app (hitting the Home button).

I have removed ATK, pulled the battery several times, and did a factory reset (the "easy" way, not sure if that makes a difference). Is there anything else I should try before taking it to the store and asking for a refurb?

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Did you go directly from 2.1 to 2.2 build FRG22D,or did you get the FRG01B update and then the patch? Look in settings ->about phone if you don't know. This info may help people help you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
R

rockasocky

Reaction score
Build number is FRG22D.

However I do know I had a second "system update," which I had hoped would fix things but it got worse after that. Thanks.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Try this:
https://android.clients.google.com/...voles/a5e329b00288.signed-voles-ota-50454.zip
It's the official full install for FRG22D (don't worry about the security certificate thing;it's Google's server; it always does that.
Manual install instructions :

1)rename downloaded file update.zip and move to directory /sdcard using a file manager (make sure you have file extensions showing; update.zip.zip won't work)
2) Turn your phone off.
3)Boot into recovery (Press Power then press X; when you seen the phone is turning on you can let go of Power but keep holding X)..
4) Wait for a triangle with exclamation point to appear and release X.
5) Press the volume up button and hold and quickly press the camera button and hold. Recovery console will appear.
6) Using the D-Pad select “apply update.zip” . Let the update proceed. When it's complete, use D-Pad to select reboot phone.

This will install the full FRG22D over the patched version. It often solves these problems. If it doesn't, check back with your results.

HTH

Detonation

Reaction score
Hello all, forgive me if this has been answered before. My Droid 1 has been driving me bananas since the froyo update (which I had been eagerly waiting for). When I slide open the keyboard to switch to landscape mode, the screen hangs for 5 to 10 seconds. I thought I would give it some time to work itself out, but it's starting to get worse. Now it also hangs for 5 to 10 seconds when exiting an app (hitting the Home button).

I have removed ATK, pulled the battery several times, and did a factory reset (the "easy" way, not sure if that makes a difference). Is there anything else I should try before taking it to the store and asking for a refurb?

Are you usually Beautiful Widgets? I'm guessing the screen hangs you're experiencing are desktop re-draws, and I found that Beautiful Widgets was the main cause of mine because its a memory hog. When I removed it, I rarely had any redraws. Unfortunately, I really like my HTC Beautiful Home widget, so I'm dealing with the redraws for now.

Darksthour

Reaction score
I have been having the same problem. I also use beautiful widgets and love the app but if that's the cause for the hang ill drop it. My phone has to wait about 10 sec after closing anything.

Darkseider

Reaction score
There is a nice fix for this. Install Launcher Pro and root the phone and then apply the hack to local.prop as follows:

If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal, type su and enter. Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter. Then reboot. Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag. If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/local.prop

Now you can keep the stock ROM and just root the device and apply this fix. You don't have to install a custom ROM or kernel just use root to do this and you will be all giddy and happy.

Darksthour

Reaction score
Well its not beautiful widgets cause I took that off all my screens then ended the app and it still takes forever to load so it has to be something with the launcher. I use launcher pro at the moment and I love it. I first thought that would help cut the load time. Unfortunately it didn't. I like the advice darkseider but I'm hoping a solution comes along without having to mess with rooting.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Well its not beautiful widgets cause I took that off all my screens then ended the app and it still takes forever to load so it has to be something with the launcher. I use launcher pro at the moment and I love it. I first thought that would help cut the load time. Unfortunately it didn't. I like the advice darkseider but I'm hoping a solution comes along without having to mess with rooting.

You can root the device with ease and no fear by following the instructions provided here and many other sources. The other option is if you don't want to root is to tweak the memory settings in Launcher Pro's settings menu. There are many threads on this forum about tweaking the settings. Find the one that works best for you. Again though. Launcher Pro + Root + local.prop hack and even a little minfree manager (trust me you'll LOVE that one) and with the stock ROM you will be giddy.

js0724

Reaction score
Doesn't LauncherPro have a "system persistent" or "keep home in memory" option? You should try that. Or use a better launcher like ADW.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Doesn't LauncherPro have a "system persistent" or "keep home in memory" option? You should try that. Or use a better launcher like ADW.

It does but it will still redraw when coming out of a memory intensive app (Flash site, big ole 3D game, etc...). With the stock ROM + Root using Launcher Pro and tweaking its' settings along with the local.prop hack and MinFree to tweak how Android handles memory really makes a HUGE difference in overall performance of the UI as well as the phone itself.

Snoking

Reaction score
I second doing a manual update with the large file. Easy to do and you do not loose anything. Straightens out a lot of issues. Chris

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
With Launcher Pro Plus running on the full FRG22D install I've managed to cut my redraws down to near zero. I happen to like the LPP widgets anyway and the dev is very responsive if you post on the LP forum.
The good thing is the memory settings and adjustments are also in the free version, so you can try it and see if it works for you. Same with ADW. Whichever one you try you will probably have to fiddle with the settings to determine the best result, so be patient.

chucknasty

Reaction score
There is a nice fix for this. Install Launcher Pro and root the phone and then apply the hack to local.prop as follows:

If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal, type su and enter. Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter. Then reboot. Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag. If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/local.prop

Now you can keep the stock ROM and just root the device and apply this fix. You don't have to install a custom ROM or kernel just use root to do this and you will be all giddy and happy.

Just to make sure....after typing su in terminal, I then type, "echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop" and hit enter? Im awful at DOS commands, thanks

Darkseider

Reaction score

Just to make sure....after typing su in terminal, I then type, "echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop" and hit enter? Im awful at DOS commands, thanks

Yup, that's it. Then reboot the phone and you are DONE.