Droid 1 sometimes forgets my custom ring tones.

Reaction score
I use Ringdroid to create them but set them to contacts using the system. Phone is rooted running CM 7 but it has done this since before I rooted. Any ideas?
Sent by my thumb.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Never used ringdriod, but if it saves the ringtones to the sd you can move or copy/paste them to your system. You just need a file explorer. Find them on the sd, then move or copy them to system/media/audio. Once you're there select the folder, notifications or ringtones. Change it from r/o to r/w, then paste. Then reboot.

This "locks" those to your system. Then go to the app, like phone, mms, email, GTalk etc., and select your new notification sounds. Actually, after you do this, you don't need a ringtone application for your notification sounds. You can load multiple sounds or any ones you can get your hands on. Works with mp3's too. Your just limited by the space available.

Sent by the Unbrickable DROID

Brian1

Reaction score
I was wonder this myself. Currently got them on the sd card on my D2G but if they start becoming and issue will move them over to the /system locations. I figure if i had it plugged into the laptop and mounted as USB then the ringtone may not work. Just a guess on that one. Also just got the D2G Saturday so getting use to it from the droid 1 I had before. But got the new D2G close to what i had but way faster. I am loving this phone and been using the keyboard more versus the flat one on the Droid 1. Never could get use it but the D2G is awesome. Brian Brian

OP
A
Reaction score
Never used ringdriod, but if it saves the ringtones to the sd you can move or copy/paste them to your system. You just need a file explorer. Find them on the sd, then move or copy them to system/media/audio. Once you're there select the folder, notifications or ringtones. Change it from r/o to r/w, then paste. Then reboot.

This "locks" those to your system. Then go to the app, like phone, mms, email, GTalk etc., and select your new notification sounds. Actually, after you do this, you don't need a ringtone application for your notification sounds. You can load multiple sounds or any ones you can get your hands on. Works with mp3's too. Your just limited by the space available.

I've been trying this, how do I change the destination folder in the system to r/w? Thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
Right now I am trying Astro and AndroZip. Doesn't look like there's a way to change permissions with these 2.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
Its been a while since I've used Astro, so I downloaded it and couldnt find that option either. Tried with another free one and couldnt figure that out either. I deleted the file manager that comes with CyanogenMod so I'm not sure if that works, or if your still on that rom. Theres gotta be a way to do it without buying an app. I've gotta go wrench on a mower now, if I figure it out later I'll post back.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, i'll keep trying also. I tried the CM manager also and didn't see anything in there.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
ES File Explorer. Its free. You just need to set it up. Hit the Menu button, then Settings, scroll to the bottom and select Root Options, the select the first option Root Explorer, hit Yes, select Cyanogen Mod, then OK. Then select the 2nd option. Then you're ready to copy and paste.

OP
A
Reaction score
That worked! Thanks much! I'm guessing that after I copy the files, I should change the folder permissions back to r/o?

Now hopefully my phone won't forget what custom ringtones are suppose to go with what contact!

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Well, we'll see how that works. I actually CUT and pasted the songs into the system/media/ringtones folder. One thing I found out is after doing that I had to reboot in order to see the ringtones in the drop down list after that. After just copying and pasting, it was still pulling from the sd card I think because a call came in and used the default tone instead of the custom. We'll see what happens now that I cut and pasted instead. Thanks again for the help! Hope this works.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, all of these steps didn't work. My wife just called me and I have a special ring tone for her and the default one rang instead. Must be something goofy with my phone or the contacts program. Using the stock contacts program whatever that is.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
For some reason I didn't get the notification when you posted. I've had that happen and had to go back and reset them. But I don't use individual ringtones, so I really can't say what went wrong.