Droid 1 screen not working...phone works though

emlayton

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a droid 1. Yesterday afternoon it did not seem to "wake up" by pressing the power button. The phone was at 90 or 100% charge. I tried several battery pulls of longer and longer times. I was out on the road and noticed after some time that my bluetooth icon in my truck (Ford F150 with Sync) still was displayed. I tried through Sync and I can make and receive calls using the Sync phone menu...however no screen interaction...I did have the led green flashing 1 time, pause then flash again.

I got home and took the battery out for about 4 hours. Reset the battery and plugged the phone back in for overnight and still no screen. The keyboard lights up when sliding out, I have sound from volume button and vibration.

Phone is about 1 year old but did get wet about 2 months ago on a scout campout. Dried it out and it has worked ever since...just cannot return for warranty. Filed insurance claim but apparently I dropped coverage when switching from my bb to my droid. NOT.

Phone is rooted with Cyanogen Rom but never pushed past 800 mhz and typically left on 550 mhz after getting wet due to some freezing issues. I was trying to hold out for new 1Q phones. I would hate to buy a new phone now when it works...just I cannot interact with the phone since there is no screen.

Any suggestions or similar issues that anyone found a fix? Is this something a local repair shop could fix affordably?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
More then likely it is a hardware issue since it got wet. If you don't have insurance, and the moisture indicator has been tripped you might have to buy a new one.

You could try to .sbf back to stock and see if that fixes the screen (doubtful though)

You don't need to see the screen to use RSD.

Check out link 2 in my sig, option 5.

OP
E

emlayton

Reaction score
Hardware issue that now has occurred 2 to 3 months later? Is this really the most likely issue. Would the hardware issue occurred at the time of getting wet or shortly thereafter?

Can I get a replacement screen since the phone is still working, rec calls, making calls, giving led's, chimes, alarms, etc.?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hardware issue that now has occurred 2 to 3 months later? Is this really the most likely issue. Would the hardware issue occurred at the time of getting wet or shortly thereafter?

Can I get a replacement screen since the phone is still working, rec calls, making calls, giving led's, chimes, alarms, etc.?

A replacement screen would be a hardware issue.

You can try the other option I sugested. Other then that or replacing the screen yourself (difficult and might not even fix the issue) you might be SOL, sorry.

OP
E

emlayton

Reaction score
I did try your suggestion and it failed. I cannot tell when I am booting up since I have no screen...so I suspect your directions about holding the dpad up while booting could be causing an issue. I did a battery reset then held the dpad and then proceeded.

The RSD saw my phone and tried to do the flash but gave me a failure message.

OP
E

emlayton

Reaction score
More then likely it is a hardware issue since it got wet.

to reply to your previous "bold" statement you are correct replacing a screen would be a hardware issue.

But in your quote above you say getting wet caused a hardware issue that I now see 3 months later after working fine since Aug? Just all of a sudden my screen quits working and you want to blame it on the wet issue from 3 months ago? Doesn't seem logical.

Nor does it seem logical that I had phone insurance for my last 3 phones and now when I bought the Droid I decided to drop it. Apparently they forgot to switch it over since i always thought I had it...

So am I SOL...maybe but only because I don't want the OLD "DX" or "D2" when we know there is something very soon to pop on the horizon that is much more awesome...hence my living with what I had for now...till my darkness of yesterday. Dont want to have to run to my truck to make phone calls.

Thanks,

gg7aph

Reaction score
Did you ever get a result on this? I seem to have the same issue...except mine's stock, and not rooted.