1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid 1 Replacement has TERRIBLE battery life

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by cheeseandpepper, Oct 23, 2010.

1. cheeseandpepper

cheeseandpepper New Member

I was wondering if anyone knew why I was able to get about 20 hours of battery life from average use with my old droid and now with my factory replacement I get about 3-4 hours.

Why the huge discrepancy? Did I have a magic droid to begin with or is the new one much much worse? I've set them up to be the same software-wise so I really dont know. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
  2. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Cheeseandpepper,

:welcome: to DroidForums.net! It's a shame that your first post has to be about the piss poor battery life you are getting now.

Getting three to four hours of battery life is unacceptable for light to average use. The twenty hours you was getting with your old phone is more consistent with your usage. I guess we just need to pinpoint what is sucking the life from your Droid.

There are a number of things that could be going on here, but regardless of whether you are rooted or not the first step should be to determine if you have an app installed that is constantly eating up CPU cycles.

Look under Settings > About Phone > Battery Use. Does anything there stand out as an obvious culprit? If not then you might want to download an app from the market that is capable of showing you in real time all services and applications that are running and the CPU load they are using.

If you don't know of any good apps to use, OSMonitor will work just fine. After installing it, open it up and look on the default tab it shows. Here will be a list of all running processes and on the right will be a percentage. This % indicates how often the process is using the CPU. If you notice any process in that list that is repeatedly registering a high percentage then pay special attention to the process name.

If you can find an app eating up your battery this way, good. All you need to do is uninstall the problem application and hopefully this will improve things.

If not, then let me know so we can move on to what to do next. Also let me know if you are rooted or not, as that will help a lot in my next advice.

By the way, the other night I noticed that my battery life was horrible as well. I'm rooted, overclocked, and running a custom ROM so it took me a little longer to fix the problem but I eventually found it. I use SetCPU to help with overclocking and I realized like an idiot that I had set the governor to Performance, meaning that even when my phone was asleep it was running constantly at 1.2Ghz. Normally I get around 8-9 hours of pretty heavy usage but this had sucked my battery dry right fast.
  3. cheeseandpepper

cheeseandpepper New Member

Thanks for the detailed response. My battery life has improved significantly after I did a battery pull for 1 minute (which does some resetting of cache i think, perhaps other things as well) then put it back in. I'm estimated to get 16+ hours of avg use, but more importantly, I can tell that its lasting a lot longer regardless of the hour estimates.

Cheers!
  4. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Sweet! I'm glad that things at least are appearing to be back in order. I'll stay subscribed to this thread for a while just in case anything pops up unexpectedly :)