Droid 1 eligible for gingerbread?

Reaction score
Will the droid get gingerbread when it comes out? Or will only the droid x and incredible be eligible??

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

xliderider

Reaction score
Not officially. Minimum device specifications for gingerbread have been released. The droid does not meet the cpu and memory requirements.

I'm sure the rom developers will port gingerbread to the droid though.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I kinda doubt it, officially. From what I have heard 1ghz processors and 512mb of RAM will be required. But if rooted, more than likely yes. What Gingerbread would run like if it requires those specs, on our Droids even if overclocked is a different story. But I am sure there will be workarounds to make it run well on the Droid, if it isn't officially released.

Not sure how much of what I have read is true, or if people are just writing fictional news articles.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well if those are the specs required i don't know if i would even want it. If 2.2 is designed to run liter why would 3.0 be designed to run so cpu heavy? Is it that graphically oriented? What will it be able to do?

validoption

Reaction score
I kinda doubt it, officially. From what I have heard 1ghz processors and 512mb of RAM will be required. But if rooted, more than likely yes. What Gingerbread would run like if it requires those specs, on our Droids even if overclocked is a different story. But I am sure there will be workarounds to make it run well on the Droid, if it isn't officially released.

Not sure how much of what I have read is true, or if people are just writing fictional news articles.

Dan Morrill tweeted about how these "specs" are made up and reported as news. I'd post the link but I'm on my Droid; you can do a Google search. One of his tweets links a specific article on unwired (I believe) where these specs are "reported".

Sent from my Droid

Riddick

Reaction score
Was obviously fake. Didn't Google claim that the future OS' were being designed so that they could run on every phone? Not sure if they'll be able to accomplish that but I'm pretty sure they're not going to do anything as drastic as what those fake specifications stated.

OP
K
Reaction score
So that means gingerbread might be released for droid, if its suppose to run on every device like posted above.

bmxriderjack

Reaction score
Google stated that at some future point they want all of their operating systems to be on the same level or develepment.
So possibly droid. But who know.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Google stated that at some future point they want all of their operating systems to be on the same level or develepment.
So possibly droid. But who know.

The problem I see is that home launchers are getting more complex and loaded. Looks like Google has tried to get the memory management really tight with Froyo, but people are having redraws because all our home themes are becoming memory hogs.

I'd expect Gingerbread to be on offer for Droid 1, at worst a lite version. from the rom guys. But it will probably only run well for stripped down stock launchers. I can't see themes continuing to grow and the phones be able to handle additional features, apps and services running.

Of course, maybe at some point will get a killer universal memory mgmt app, one that lets you rank order programs to kill, set refresh/polling periods (even when the app itself doesn't give you that control) and does one-at-a-time refreshing with sort of a line forming to update. That would prevent task killer from running amok because 5 programs loaded into memory to check your location. Then again, such an app would probably be hard on battery life.

But I think about 90 megs of our 256meg ram is allocated to cache, and maybe that could be moved to SD to reallocate some memory to system.

Reaction score
I think its not if but when... weather its officia or not... they are saying its the biggest update since 1.6 though, which is pretty encouraging :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
There are no minimum specs for Gingerbread. The LG post we haven't figured out yet, but suspicion is that they're referring to THEIR flavor of Gingerbrad; SenseUI and MotoBlur will be different flavors of Gingerbread. Futhermore, the Russian blogger who started the whole 1GHz/512MB rumor has not only admitted those were suggestions but Google has gone on record as saying "No!". I reference the tweet posted twice in the official news story about this.

The Droid, running Vanilla Android, may very well see an official version of it. There will be Gingerbread-flavored ROMs, however.

So, can we please stop
BeatingDeadHorse.gif
. Thanks. :)

andjarnic

Reaction score
I know this post has been going on for a while.. thought I'd add my brief knowledge as a developer.

As 2.3 is now available to develop for, and devices are coming soon with it (Nexus S which is basically a Samsung Galaxy S phone has 2.3 on it). That said, from what I've read in the developer channels, phones that can run Froyo now, will be able to run Gingerbread, and be even faster. I'd say that even though of course beefier cpus and memory will allow for more headroom to really enjoy Gingerbread, because it will provide improved performance, a newer garbage collector and better touch input, it should run on moto droid. I for one will be upgrading to a moto bionic when my contract is ready in July, but until then, I am hoping 2.3 will make it to droid sooner than later, or I would be fine with rooting my current droid as well, at least until I get the bionic. As a developer, I want to target 2.2 and later for most apps, but 2.3 and later for any sort of games and music apps.

So, 2.3 is a major update.. huge because of what it brings for gamers and music. If you haven't read, it finally adds native support for audio, better native for video, and native support for a number of other things, like direct access to sensors, inputs and so forth. That is a big big deal for games.. once you have 2.3 based games coming out that utilize all of these new features, you'll finally see iPhone 4+ quality games. With the slew of dual-core devices coming out, games on android 2.3 and later are going to be very good. It will take some time to learn and develop with the new apis and make full use of them however, so I wouldn't expect too many solid games (or updates of existing games) for a good 6 months or longer, which is fine anyway since it will be a good 6 months or longer before all the new android devices are coming with (or capable of running) gingerbread (2.3).