Droid 1 boot loop

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by untogethered, Mar 28, 2011.

1. untogethered

untogethered New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I know at least a little about custom ROMs, etc- I own a Nexus One and have Cyanogenmod running on it great. However, my girlfriend started complaining that her Droid was running slow- I figured I'd help her out by installing a custom ROM and upping the CPU limits.

Oops. I'm in the deep end now! I flashed Cyanogenmod 6.1, Chevy No.1 kernel, then downloaded a free CPU setter from the Market (didn't realise SetCPU was free from xda-developers). It was working fine, but after a few restarts it's now stuck in a boot loop. Not instantly- sometimes it'll sit happily running for a few minutes before crashing out, but only if I don't touch it. As soon as I start trying to do stuff, it fails.

I've tried reflashing the ROM from recovery. I've tried wiping data and cache, but it still restarts. What gives? Surely any CPU stuff I've done would be removed when I wipe data, no? If not, how can I remove it, bearing in mind that I can't really do anything on the phone without it restarting. I've somehow also lost SPRecovery- I'm now back down to the Droid stock recovery image- and ideas on how I can easily reflash that?

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but the phone battery has pretty much run out. I'm running the phone plugged in, but I can't leave it on to charge because it gets stuck in the boot loop. Could low battery be a problem? If so, how can I charge it?

Very grateful for any advice!

2. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your kernel will persist even with a data/cache wipe. You need to download raidzero's recovery immediately -- you can charge while in recovery w it. (EDIT: here's the direct DL: http://rzdroid.com/ftp/recovery/RZR-2.0.3-update.zip) Just flash this zip file in recovery and then go to Advanced>Reboot Recovery and you'll be in RZRecovery (Raidzero recovery).

Also, you should get a raidzero 125-800 MHz kernel and try that instead. You can find the link to his kernels at the top of the link I posted, it says "kernels thread". Just download it and flash it like any other update.zip-type file. You can enable mass USB mass storage to move the zip file onto your phone while in recovery. (EDIT: here is the direct DL link: http://rzdroid.com/ftp/kernels/froyo/RZK_LV_125-800-kernel.zip). Just flash this zip file in recovery.

EDIT: To verify that your Droid is charging in recovery, the light next to the microUSB plug should be on. You can check battery stats in rzrecovery by going to "extras" and "battery statistics". It should read a percentage and "charging".

EDIT: I hope that helps. I was on my phone with my initial reply, so hopefully these links will help you get what you need faster. Here are the steps in order:
    1) Download both the raidzero recovery zip file and the kernel i linked to above
    2) Boot up your device directly into recovery (hold pwr + x on bootup)
    3) Once in recovery, go to "partitions" and select "mount usb mass storage"
    4) Move the zip files for recovery and the kernel onto the root of the sdcard (or anywhere, it doesn't matter with ClockworkMod Recovery)
    5) Install the zip file corresponding to radizero's recovery
    6) once the installation is finished, go to "advanced" then "reboot recovery"
    7) (your Droid will now boot directly into RZRecovery)
    8) Flash the 800MHz raidzero kernel and reboot back into recovery and leave it
    9) Verify that your phone is charging by making sure the charging light is on and go to "extras" and battery statistics to verify it's "charging"

That will keep everything in CM that you had setup the same, just swap out the kernel. Another alternative is just to re-flash the ROM itself. To do this, just go to "wipe options" in rzrecovery and "wipe all" a few times. Then install the ROM and you should be OK that way too.

Hope this helps!

Sent from Sourcery

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  3. untogethered

untogethered New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's awesome- thanks so much for the walkthrough. The phone is successfully revived and living a normal (although perhaps slightly slower-paced) life :)

4. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol great! glad to hear it! you're very welcome :) ... a "slower" phone is still faster than a bricked phone! lol

i would recommend downloading a few root-only apps like SetCPU and Titanium Backup to get a feel for the controls a bit on the new phone. The classic root mantra is: "with great power comes great responsibility" lol.

The 800MHz LV raidzero kernel should be nice and responsive and should give you great battery life as well, depending on the ROM you're using. On CM 6.1.2 it should be borderline unbeatable. i personally recommend the min = 125, max = 800, and governor = INTERACTIVE. Interactive gives you a very *responsive* feel, so it may feel the same as an 1100 mhz OC kernel on ondemand. But since the kernel scales up quicker, it "feels" faster.

I have great results with that :)

now that you know the process to recover a bootlooped phone from a problematic kernel, feel free to experiment with other kernels....although.... i should warn you... raidzero's are the best! lol :)

Search tags for this page

how to fix a bootloop in a motorola xt615