Droid 1 Black Screen, Trying to unroot and flash back to stock.

Reaction score
THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO FLASH TO CRICKET.
THIS THREAD IS FOR RECOMMENDATIONS ON FIXING THE ISSUE AT HAND. I am going to post my exact instructions on my flashing technique as I have logged over 100 hours of flashing the Droid I and the Droid X to Cricket.

NOW TO THE ISSUE:

Alright, I've got a Droid 1 that I flashed to Cricket. Service worked just fine for about 2 days, then the screen started to do some funny stuff... the phone was opening and closing apps all on its own, the volume indicator would randomly raise and lower itself, the finally screen just went black. I had ALL functions working on the phone, talk, text, pictures, web, and Market.

I rooted the phone with superoneclick, went off without a hitch, no problems at all. I then used CDMA workshop 2.7 to flash the PRL and the NV Items (pulled from whiterabbit.org.android) into the phone, and did a reset. When phone rebooted, I used QPST to finish writing in the data settings, wrote those to the phone, no problem. I then edited the APN settings for picture messaging successfully. Did a 30 minute battery pull, booted phone back up and voila... another successful Cricket Droid I.

With all this said, I have flashed 10 to 15 of these phones to cricket, all using the exact same process, and this is the first one I've ever gotten this issue with.

Now when I say this phone has a black screen, I mean no matter what I do the screen STAYS black. During startup, if I try to boot into recovery, if I try to boot into bootloader, it doesn't matter, the screen STAYS black. Still get sounds, still get haptic feedback, and I can even turn the phone off by guessing where the the Off option is when I hold the power button after it turns on.

All I'm trying to do is get the stock sbf flashed back to the phone, and I'm trying to do that through RSDLite since I can't see anything on the phone screen. When I reboot the phone holding up on the d-pad, I can't tell whether it actually does go into bootloader, so far RSDLite isn't seeing the phone.

I'm looking for any recommendation on this. I'm continuing to work on it, but so far I'm stumped as to how I can get this thing unrooted and back to stock to see if I'll get the screen back.

Yes I've done multiple battery pulls, at varied intervals, and no still don't get the Motorola Logo when I take the battery and SD card out and try turning the phone on with just the charger.

Like I said, I'm stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for taking the time to look at this.

Sincerely,

Technogeek

Droid I
Droid X
Droid Incredible

OP
technogeek1984
Reaction score
UPDATE: I was able to get RSD Lite to see the phone, and flashed the stock 2.2 Froyo, but when the phone tried to reboot I got a reboot manually command from RSD Lite, which meant the only thing I could do was a battery pull. Rebooted it is still in a black screen. Still nothing when trying to boot into recovery as well.... I may in fact be successfully booting into recovery but I can't tell because of the screen. I'm still working, I will update as more developments come.

Last edited:
OP
technogeek1984
Reaction score
UPDATE: Well I decided to put the phone on the charger. The attached photo is what I got as a result. I've only seen it once and have not been able to duplicate it again. This is the most life I have seen out of the screen since it went black.

Shad0w0fDeth

Reaction score
Hello, I stumbled upon this thread while searching through google. I have the same exact problem as you. Rooted a few weeks back to 2.3, was perfect for about 3 weeks. Two days ago, phone was sluggish, and ever since then I don't have a Motorola or droid animation, both black screen. I can't find a solution for it, I tried just about everything, flashing 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, removing root, adding different recoveries. I know the phone is booting but I can't see it.

Once the phone boots, it's ok. Sorry that I can't help, just nice to know I'm not the only one. Sigh.

Shad0w0fDeth

Reaction score
I tried flashing more recoveries. With no luck, since I also just get a dim screen, guess I'll give up, wasted two days stright trying to figure this out.

OP
technogeek1984
Reaction score
Yeah I've tried pretty much everything you said too....took everything completely back to stock with no results. I'm very puzzled by this. I flash phones for my store and of the Droid I's that I've flashed, this is the first phone to ever bug out on me. I use the same process on all of them (Droid 1's that is) and never any problems on them. I don't use any other crazy kernels or OC stuff, just basically root the phone and flash it. I'm inclined to think that it may actually be something to do with SuperOneClick, the program that I used to root the phone in the first place. It seems to be the only misnomer in the equation as to why something would have gone wrong. Then again, to bug a phone so badly that the screen goes black with a root just doesn't make sense either. I'm going to try some more things today, but after today I'll have to let it go.

I'd be grateful if you'd share your process on rooting yours, just to sort of compare notes for similarities. Thanks.

OP
technogeek1984
Reaction score
Well after leaving the phone on charge all night I came in to discover that it will no longer charge the battery, even with the phone plugged in I cannot boot into recovery or bootloader. Now I'm getting that same garbled screen that I posted above every time the phone starts. This one might be a true brick.

How sucky that is.

Shad0w0fDeth

Reaction score
I rooted using the same process as you, using SuperOneClick. I was on 2.3 and was using custom kernels. I don't think it's SuperOneClick that is responsible, because there would much more of these type of posts out there. Your droid seems pretty much like a brick, but what about mine, mine didn't bootup, but had a dim black screen for the two boot up screens, after that the Droid worked ok. I pretty much gave up, which is sad because I could usually figure something out like this.

I also can't find anything via google that's even close to my situtation. Only boot problems I see is bootloops, or rarely your situtation. Very odd..

Last edited: