Droid 1, 2, or X?

unept96

Reaction score
I am getting my Droid X on Wednesday. This will be my first smartphone and if anyone can brick a Droid, it will be me. I am not sure which OTA it will ship with.

I would really like to get it rooted but the forums have not led me to be very optimistic. Jailbreaking my Ipod Touch was a hell of a lot simpler.

Should I have stuck to the Droid 1 or 2? It seems that there are many more solutions for rooting them.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Rooting the x isn't very hard, and there's been progress with getting a form of custom recovery and some roms have popped up.

Emitted from X.

OP
U

unept96

Reaction score
Root, Recover, ROM

So can I assume from your response that:
1) Rooting the DX is possible through the ADB method only
2) Nandroid cannot be used with DX
3) Custom ROMS for DX are quite limited

Without some sort of custom recovery, is it advisable to even attempt to flash a custom ROM?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So can I assume from your response that:
1) Rooting the DX is possible through the ADB method only
2) Nandroid cannot be used with DX
3) Custom ROMS for DX are quite limited

Without some sort of custom recovery, is it advisable to even attempt to flash a custom ROM?

1. No. The app called EasyRoot can do it right on the phone. I'm pretty sure there are one or two other apps that can as well.

2. Koush created the DroidX bootstrap, which allows you to use clockwork recovery to create/restore backups.

3. I'm not sure.

I got WAY into hacking/nodding my D1, but went back to stock for 2.1 and got a new job that takes more of my time and makes me just want to come home and veg out instead of tweaking my phone, and then I upgraded to the x.

I HAVE tried easyroot to root and later unroot, just so I'd know what it's like to better assist members here (hence the Rescue Squad title), but don't have the time to REALLY get into all the custom stuff like I used to, so I can't say for sure what roms are available. However, with the progress that has been made in just the last month or so, it's a safe bet that more will be coming. I know that there are at least a couple options with 2.2 features available rigt now.

Anyway, I hope that clears things up a little for you. If nothing else, I'm bumping your thread here so someone who's got more knowledge might see it sooner. :)

Emitted from X.